Skip to content

Quick and Auto Saves spontaneously deleting themselves

A save game, once created, should continue to exist until it is over-written with a new save or the user manually deletes it. This has not been the case for me.

The very first time I loaded up this game, I played for a while, sometimes using the quick-save function. Every time I press the quick-save, it gives me the message that the quick-save was successful. Nonetheless, the first time I went looking for my quick-save file to load up, it was non-existent.

This was very frustrating, but I continued to play on, paying close attention to whether the quick-save was working or not while I was playing. The second time I loaded the game up, I had no issues with the quick-save working. It has continued to work properly most of the time, however a few times it simply does not work right off the bat when I load the game. And sometimes it works for a long time during play and then at some point I check my saves folder and the quick-save folder which existed minutes before has vanished.

Then, the same thing happened with my auto-save. I had been in the zone at the entrance to Baldur's Gate, with the Priestess of Umberlee, and had to reload a save right before talking to her a few times to see what my options were and because she accidentally got killed after agreeing to help her due to my attacks not getting cancelled. I left that zone to speak to the fishermen in that quest, and immediately upon entering the new zone was attacked by two Ankhegs and Khalid died, so I went to reload my auto-save rather than go to the hassle of having to resurrect him. My auto-save, which should have been made just a minute before when I left the previous zone, did not exist.

This has continued to plague me throughout my play. I cannot trust either save function. They work the majority of the time, but seem to corrupt themselves somehow and start to just delete the old save without replacing it. It might be related to trying to load saves repeatedly. I just had both my quick and auto saves vanish in a few minutes, leaving me with only an hour-old manual save to go with.

First, I was in the zone with the Ambush Site and talked to Chase. I decided to reload my auto-save so I could speak to him again and see what another dialogue option would do. I then continued on through the zone, but noticed that my quick-save was gone. I went to the Friendly Arm Inn, went to the nobleman's room and picked the lock on his chest, but was detected removing the gem from the chest and had to fight the Flaming Fist. So I reloaded the auto-save from entering the Inn (alt-tabbing out to make sure the save still existed first!), tried to get the gem again, again failed, and tried to load my auto-save again. Except this time it was gone. Despite having just used it a minute earlier.

Comments