Skip to content

Soloplayers and the new content

For some reason, I can't get my self to do a playthrough with a party. It doesn't feel as rewarding, I geuss.
Is there a way for us solo players, to experience the new content?

Comments

• ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    No, not any more than you can experience the NPC-related quests in vanilla BG2 without the NPCs.
  • ThraxxThraxx Member Posts: 67
    edited December 2013
    Any mod that makes you reconise as a NPC? Make my Blackguard play Dorns quests. PRETTY PLZ ^^
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    I think there ought to be a way. I did Rasaad's BG1 quest without Rasaad once I unlocked the Cloud Peaks. Whenever something happened that required his dialogue he would appear out of the shadows and deliver it, like he was following us but wasn't part of the party. I actually enjoyed that way of doing the quest.
    Hm, interesting. But you had to keep Rasaad in your party for quite some time to get to that point, right? It could likely be sped up with some console commands, but even then it would be a lot of digging for variables to alter and no guarantee that quests wouldn't end up broken.
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    Yeah, I did have to recruit him for a bit and I don't think it's exactly intended. I meant "ought to be" in more of a wishful thinking kind of way... but it would be nice to be able to do NPC quests like that. I don't like kicking out a party member just to do a quest.
    edited December 2013
    Hm.. tested it now and it seems you can simply console-teleport to the Cloud Peaks area and the events seem to progress as if you had the quests.. Rasaad does indeed appear magically when he's needed. I guess they went that way instead of using separate dialogue and blocking mechanisms in case of the concerned NPCs being absent.

Edit: Remains to be seen if other NPC quests work the same way. With Dorn for instance one of his targets will spawn in an already existing zone, so making that happen without having him in the party might be difficult.
  • HandofTyrHandofTyr Member Posts: 106
    Shin said:

No, not any more than you can experience the NPC-related quests in vanilla BG2 without the NPCs.

I've complained about this a couple of times elsewhere, as it's one of my largest gripes with the EEs. The difference is that the NPC quests that actually require the NPCs (Keldorn's family issues, Nalia gets kidnapped, Cernd's kid) in regular BG2 are very small and tend to not have unique items. The bigger quests that are related to NPCs usually have a way to do them without adding that NPC to the party (Circus, Planar Sphere, De'Arnise stronghold). In the EE games you must use the new NPCs to access much of the added quests and items.

At least in BG1 the quests are fairly short and can be completed quickly. In a multiplayer game I'm in we're planning to wait until BG (the city) is open and then pick them up to run through it real quick, then dump. Companion of the week and all that.