Skip to content

Why EE?

First things first: I love the old infinity engine games a great deal. I love how they look, I love how they feel, I love how they implement the AD&D system, and I love the storytelling. And nothing pleases me more than seeing these old gems revived. SO please don't take this question the wrong way. I really don't intend to troll or be mean to the hardworking artists and craftsmen on this project.

What exactly does the EE do that 15 years of modding doesn't already do better?

Comments

• KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    mch202 said:

Those things can't and haven't been done by mods, and I'm sure there is more, on top of that:

+ New NPCs
    + New Quests
    + New Areas
    + New Music
    + New Portraits

Actually... Other than possibly the music, I think those could all be added in with mods...

But new kits for classes previously un-kittable is a thing as the only class that's left closed from modders at the moment is pretty much the Barbarian.
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    @Kaltzor My mistake, I meant the things I listed first, fixed
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    I'm not sure if adding kits to Barbarian is actually possible, seeing as it's technically coded as a Fighter kit itself.
  • CoryNewbCoryNewb Member Posts: 1,330
    iPad version. Multiplayer is improved. New NPCs. Hundreds of bug fixes. The list goes on.
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    edited December 2013
    Shin said:

the EEs move the game forward and allow it to evolve.

I kind of agree with this. However, my opinion (quite unpopular around these parts to be honest) is that unfortunately to do so the EE had to step a little bit backward first.

To use an analogy, it is like when you have to jump and then you go a bit backward so you can start running and have enough room to increase your speed in order to jump further.

As direct consequence I still find myself enjoying more the original games at the present moment (less bugs, more mods, more stability because things don't keep changing with every patch sometime for better sometime for worse, etc.).

I'm sure that the future lies with the enhanced edition, but we are not there yet. So for the time being I'm patiently waiting for this jumper to land and in the meantime I keep playing the GOG version.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    99% of those 15 years of mods are utter garbage. So, you know, there's that.

Also, Blackguard, and Beamdog's version is infinitely better than the mod versions I've seen.
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,344
    @Erg Unpopular as it may be, I agree. It's been exceedingly noticable with BGEE as the file naming system caused so much incompatibility - I wonder if it wouldn't have been smarter to adapt the Tutu file names from the beginning instead and roll with that.

Anyway, BGEE has been out a year and imo it's only just now (that SCS is somewhat stable, a tentatively working beta of the NPC Project is available and some externalizations have been implemented) that the EE is comparable to modded vanilla. With BG2EE though, given how many mods have already been updated and how fast the process (mostly) is, it should be a lot faster.

I agree it's unfortunate, but then again we knew this was going to be the case.. for people looking beyond new NPCs and not needing to use fixpacks, it was always a project with a long view.

• EnterHaerDalisEnterHaerDalis Member Posts: 813
    you can have sex with dorn

as a man
  • AlexisisinneedAlexisisinneed Member Posts: 470
    Pantalion said:

Well I'm pretty sure the EEs don't have Saerileth. Major plus point right there.

Sole reason why I'm afraid to try to any npc mods out there.
  • marcerormarceror Member Posts: 577
    Pantalion said:

Well I'm pretty sure the EEs don't have Saerileth. Major plus point right there.

Oh, can we please have this debate again here, for like the 9,000th time in internet history!
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    Hotkeyed Dornsex~
  • AlexisisinneedAlexisisinneed Member Posts: 470
    marceror said:

Pantalion said:

Oh, can we please have this debate again here, for like the 9,000th time in internet history!
    It's over 9000?! Impossible!

But there's nothing to debate about.
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    Also the EEs do have Saerileth anyway.

*Plays mournful tunes on his lute*
  • mylegbigmylegbig Member Posts: 292
    For me, I prefer the EEs due to convenience and slightly better aesthetics. Most of the worthwhile mods already work for EE (SCS, RR, etc), so that leaves out the only real strength the old versions have over the new. Well, kit mods still don't work, but I still have my BGT install for that.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    Is it possible to make NPC mods for the EEs yet?

Kinda curious. Might take it up as a hobby, for one character, at least. After seeing these terrible NPC mods and Beamdog's somewhat lackluster NPCs I'm pretty well convinced I couldn't do too bad. :P
    @Quartz It is, some are already out.
  • NonnahswriterNonnahswriter Member Posts: 2,520
    Not only does the EE version have new content, but Overhaul also brought the game to the attention of a new audience. Sure, those who'd owned and played it before already knew about the Baldur's Gate series, but how would any stranger find interest? The game's certainly not sold in stores anymore. With Beamdog's rerelease on their stores, and the Steam version, AND the ports to Ipad and Android, more people can now see and play Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 on more platforms than ever before.

That's definitely something the mods could not do. Not by themselves, and not with a tremendous amount of work and time put into them (as if they hadn't had enough already).
  • ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    Quartz said:

Is it possible to make NPC mods for the EEs yet?

Shin said:

@Quartz It is, some are already out.

Yep, some things, like adding custom kits for the NPCs, currently require a bit of extra work compared to the original games, but they are feasible too.
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190
    Erg said:

Yep, some things, like adding custom kits for the NPCs, currently require a bit of extra work compared to the original games, but they are feasible too.

Oh no, not everybody's Mary Sue can have their own unique snowflake class!
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    @Nano

You forgot the panther. Cause ya know, he's not like Drizzt, he uses Katanas after all, but I mean really now......ya :P
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    @Schneidend

Erg said:

Oh no, not everybody's Mary Sue can have their own unique snowflake class!
    I was totally considering saying something along those lines, something like "I have no interest in making custom kits" but ... well ... I'm glad I withheld because you win. xD @nano too
  • XantofyrXantofyr Member Posts: 2
    edited December 2013
    Shin said:

There are many threads debating this at great length.

Sorry for throwing the dead horse out there guys, and thank you for beating it some more for my benefit :p
    Seriously though- thank you for the great responses. In light of the general tenor of some of the interface upgrades that have been mentioned though...

Is it now also possible to organically switch between duel-wielding/ sword-and-board and a ranged weapon without having to rifle through your pack every time? Because that alone would be worth the price of admission for me.
    Xantofyr said:

Is it now also possible to organically switch between duel-wielding/ sword-and-board and a ranged weapon without having to rifle through your pack every time? Because that alone would be worth the price of admission for me.

No, this unfortunately still needs to be addressed.
  • MessiMessi Member Posts: 738
    Shin said:

Xantofyr said:

No, this unfortunately still needs to be addressed.
    @Dee once said that to make this work they would basically need to break and then fix every creature file in the game.