Skip to content

Changing familiars through EE keeper?

ShareazuShareazu Member Posts: 51
'Ello folks, long time since i last posted. i've finally started to play BG:EE, and it's quite awesome! the team did a great work, and overall, the game is really great to play.

Anyway, to the question/problem:

well, although i don't like creating a mage as a main character, i do like the idea of having a familiar, specially since i'm playing as a ranger (archer)... to do so, i use the EE Keeper (a program similar to the well-known BG Keeper and Shadow Keeper, but to be used in the Enhanced games).

The thing is, since rangers are limited to good alignments (Lawful, neutral and chaotic good), doing so gives me either a pseudo-dragon (if neutral or lawful good), or a fairy-dragon (if chaotic good)... i really wanted a ferret for familiar, so i tried to use the EE keeper to give me one; however, afeter i add the desired familiar to my inventory and try it in-game, nothing happens after i click the 'release familiar' option.. the familiar simply vanishes from the inventory, and nothing is released! I've also tried to change my alignment to lawful neutral, and , after i used the spell, i did receive a ferret, but as soon as i release him and put him back into my backpack, he vanishes.
-----------------

TL;DR, i'd like to ask if someone knows a workaround or a way to add the familiar of your choice, either through EEKeeper or other method.

Sorry if this is not the appropriate place to post this question, and also sorry for any typos and stuff, but english is not my first language

Comments

• DeltharisDeltharis Member Posts: 124
    Hmm... The way I'd do it would be to start with a mage, cast the spell legally with the alignement you want, and after use EEKeeper to change your character into what you want (changing class and setting the level to 0 I think is the correct way though I never tried it myself).
  • PurudayaPurudaya Member Posts: 816
    The only thing I can think of would be to give your character the use any item ability via ee keeper, set the alignment for the familiar you want, cast the spell, then keeper your alignment back. The only problem will be that your character would be stuck with the use any item ability, so you'd have to use the honor system and avoid the temptation to use those class-restricted items :)
  • Kwiat_WKwiat_W Member Posts: 37
    Maybe you should try asking author of animal companions mod (http://www.shsforums.net/topic/56242-animal-companions/) to update it for bgee/bg2ee
  • ShikaoShikao Member Posts: 376
    I was looking for something completely different and accidentally stumbled on solution for your problem. Copy the file I attached to your Override folder and change from txt do 2da. Now all Good characters should receive Ferret as familiar.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    Does the Familiar evolve in ToB now? As they should do by the statements in the Manual? The old Manual in fact.

• ShareazuShareazu Member Posts: 51
    Thank you all for your responses. It seems i have found a 'solution' for the problem, though i still don't completely understand it... i did what deltaris suggested: started the game as a lawful neutral mage, then casted the find familiar spell and got myself an awesome ferret; then i changed my class to ranger and my alignment in EE Keeper.

However, i found out something rather weird, though i'm not sure it is due to my own game (which contains some options of the BG2 Tweaks mod), to something i did wrong in the installation of the mod, or due to the fact it is a steam version, or due to the game itself: if i change my alignment to NEUTRAL GOOD and return to the game, whenever i place the familiar back into my inventory, it becomes a rabbit (!), and, when i press the release button, it disappears... HOWEVER, if i change my alignment to LAWFUL GOOD, it seems to work normally: i can put it in my inventory and release it normally.