Skip to content

Best group of adventurers?

doneill2000doneill2000 Member Posts: 21
Ok I know I just posted a differnt discussion but I wanted it to be focused on that thing alone. So on my latest playthrough of BG:EE I had my PC (Cavalier), Kivan, Imoen, Ajantis, Yeslick, and Neera for most of the game. I like to have 1 mage and cleric, and then have 2 archers for support in the back for my tanks, and I like to have 2 tanks (1 of them being myself) to take the brunt of the damage while still dishing out a respectable amount of it. So question is what do you guys suggest as a good party? I dont even mind if it breaks my fourmla here with how many of each it has as long as it is effective. So thanks in advance, cheers!

Also I want a good party although I will take neutrals, and the only evil I would take is Dorn, although he doesnt stay very long so if you suggest him have someone ready to take his place.

Comments

• booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    If you are playing the second game, drop an archer for an arcane magic user. Archery is nowhere near as effective in the second game and the higher level you get the more amazing the magic users are
  • doneill2000doneill2000 Member Posts: 21
    If we are stricly talking about the first game?
  • MaylanderMaylander Member Posts: 74
    Then stick to your original formula. :)

What class are you playing? Generally, the "canon" party members (Jaheira + Khalid, Imoen and Minsc + Dynaheir) get the job done. They pretty much have everything covered. If you want a more interesting Thief than Imoen, you could always try out Coran. He's a bit of a hassle to get in the start, and you must make sure to focus on his trap and lock picking skills, but he is an amazing archer in addition to filling the Thief role. He's as good as Kivan in my opinion.
    Yeah I heard Coran is pretty good but if he is as good as Kivan as a archer, and a decent thief then I have to pick him up. I suppose I keep Imoen around because SPOILER ALERT

she is a Bhaal spawn.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    Coran is the best archer in the game.
    Well you can always pick her up again in BG2. It's not like your choices in BG1 makes a difference in that regard. Still, for roleplaying purposes it can be cool to play with close to the same party in BG1 and 2.
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    There is no "best party" build. Almost every NPC is useable and viable. (Some are a bit less, some are a bit more.) This is not a competitive MMORPG. Just play with the chars you like.
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    Coran isn't "as good as Kivan" as an archer... he's much much better.
    But I agree with Lefty, its better to just take the characters you like, particularly in the second game where their personalities are much more well-developed.

Coran isn't "as good as Kivan" as an archer... he's much much better.

Coran is slightly better by the end of the game, but Kivan has access to Composite Longbow +1 right from the start (more or less), making him far better in the beginning. Overall I'd say they're about equal, but Coran is obviously more useful as he's also a Thief.

Such a shame I was hoping Kivan comes out on top simply because I love the guy. Although reality is I will probley just dump Imoen and get Kivan and Coran.
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    Kivan is very very close and you aren't missing out at all if you take him over Coran. I've had them in the same party many times and you really don't notice the difference between their archery abilities. Kivan actually does more damage per hit because he can use the composite bow while Coran is a tiny bit more accurate.

The main advantage Coran has is that he's also a thief and can backstab.
  • egonegon Member Posts: 94
    Coran over Kivan any day, he's just much cooler.
  • BrudeBrude Member Posts: 560
    Take them both. If your PC is a melee toon, give them a ranged weapon.

The three of you will shred anything that comes within 30 yards of the party.

Caution: This makes every encounter outside of chapter-ending boss fights trivial. 95% of the time, your casters will have nothing to do and you may start to resent them for soaking up XP they didn't really earn.
    edited December 2013
    Haha I already do @Brude.
    Post edited by doneill2000 on