Skip to content

Sorc solo. BG1 any problem?

Ive done most of BG2 solo as sorc long long ago. Such a fun class to play so gonna make a new one soon, and this time do the whole saga.

Is there any issues running a lone mage in the first game and being weak like a kitten? Or is it just a matter about using invisibility and sleep alot?

Also, best race? Should be Elf?

Comments

• ryuken87ryuken87 Member Posts: 563
    I did it in Tutu a few years ago and for the most part it was pretty easy. The one fight that gave me grief was Karoug as I just didn't have the resources to deal with his regeneration. Can't quite remember how I beat him now, but I think rather than do a really annoying reload back to Ulgoth's Beard I probably cheated in the items I needed.
  • SpaceInvaderSpaceInvader Member Posts: 2,125
    Choosing sleep and invisibility is a waste if you plan to play it in BG2:EE, even because there are wands and potions for that.
    Anyway yes, elf is obviously the best race for sorc.
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    I want to play a half-orc dragon disciple with 19 Str. Fire-breathing ass-kicking machine. (I know this is impossible without mods, though).
    Brude
  • ShireShire Member Posts: 58
    Is there a find familiar scroll in BG1?
    Ill probably play chaotic neutral so I get a kitty. Nothing to do with skills, i just love cats! Might consider my usual chaotic good for the invisibility dragon though.
    badbromance
    Ive never used the Claw by the way, worth it on a sorc?
  • GamingFreakGamingFreak Member Posts: 639

I want to play a half-orc dragon disciple with 19 Str. Fire-breathing ass-kicking machine. (I know this is impossible without mods, though).

Yeah and I want to be Kobold Bard/Dragon Disciple, but we all know how likely *THAT* is going to happen.
    Emh... Drop the Lightning Bolt idea, take Skull Trap. Just saying...
    And actually, you don't even need to pick Fireball.
  • MitchforkMitchfork Member Posts: 390
    You find plenty of Fire Wands in the game (there are at least four, probably more) and you'll get two Necklaces of Missiles as well. Combine that with the multitude of Oils of Fiery Burning and Potions of Explosions you can find... and there's absolutely no need to pick Fireball on level-ups.

Also, you can buy something like 20 Greater Malison scrolls in Sorcerous Sundries- more than enough to get you through the tough fights in the game, so no need to take that either. You can also get 20 Chaos scrolls in here, which are very nice.

I've never done a solo run with Sorcerer (or anything else) but I figured those are worth mentioning.
    Cheers for input guys. Can i stay on 15 con and take speed and invi potions for early tome?
    What max wisdom i need to make wish good enough? Considering there are 3 tomes.
    Shire said:

Cheers for input guys. Can i stay on 15 con and take speed and invi potions for early tome?
    What max wisdom i need to make wish good enough? Considering there are 3 tomes.

STR as high as possible for slings and later on to land a single hit (with+4 bonus for Insibility) with a Staff of Magi.
    DEX as high as possible for slings and dart (MMM count as darts) and AC at lower levels helps.
    CON 16 at start. Because yes, you'll get a tome, but
    in BG2 you'll also be able to lose 1 CON point in Candlekeep dream without problems or being forced to visit Watcher's Keep for Lum's machine
    INT w/e you want. Mindflyers won't hit you anyway with PfMW, if they do, it means you have to use a better tactic ;)
    WIS 18 is ok for Wish, more is superfluous.
    CHA I'd say 16 to have access to certain banters, but it's not a "must".
    Shire
  • ShikaoShikao Member Posts: 376
    Shire said:

Ill probably play chaotic neutral so I get a kitty. Nothing to do with skills, i just love cats! Might consider my usual chaotic good for the invisibility dragon though.

Since you love cats, here you have a nice file. Download, copy to Override folder, change to 2da and all alignments will have cat as familiar =]
    Shire
    I didnt really realise that you dont need int for a sorc, cheers for pointing that out!
    What about starting with 17con and use the Claw?
    edited December 2013
    Shire said:

I didnt really realise that you dont need int for a sorc, cheers for pointing that out!
    What about starting with 17con and use the Claw?

For the BG:EE portion will be good, even if I prefer to use Evermemory+Ring of Protection+2.
    In BG2:EE is definetely not needed.
    You're already looking for a really high roll (18+19+16+11?+15+15 = 94) ;)

PS. just to clarify, you can solo the game with a non min-max Sorc. I'm just telling you what the "perfect" should be.
    Shire
    edited December 2013
    Yeah Ill probably just skip and stay on 16 con.
    Ill go 10int so I got 11 for BG2.
    Gonna take some rolling but if needed ill gimp charisma a tad more. Its solo afterall and i can always buy a friendsscroll. In BG2 we all know how easily fixed it is.
    SpaceInvader
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    Am I the only one who sells the [Spoiler]Ring of Human Influence?[/Spoiler]
    Shikao
    edited December 2013
    Started my solo sorc. Chaotic Neutral Elf.
    Couldnt be arsed to reroll for ages so i stopped on 90.

Str 18 -> 19 after tome.
    Dex 19 -> 20
    Con 15 -> 16
    Int 10 -> 11
    Wis 15 -> 18
    Car 13 -> 14 (20 with friends)

Should be decent enough.
    jackjackSpaceInvaderShikaolunar
    Killed Sarevok. I wont do any Durlags tower nor Ulgoth since im really looking forward to BG2!
    Hardest part was palace, but that went better after trying Malison -> Confusion.
    Sarevok fight was messy and fun! Dispells, Malison, 2 scroll of cloudkill, minute meteors and alot of magic missile and wand of animal summoning. All 4 of them ended up on the floor.
    lelag200
  • mumumomomumumomo Member Posts: 635
    I share mostly the same view as moonblood.

Solo sorc is actually very easy in BG1.
    They are IMO the most powerful class when dealing with the hard fights of the game. They are not so great for the easy fights (although they pose no threat) : killing a dire wolf is painful with a sorceror...

The key spells for me are (the other spells are barely used)
    - level 1 : magic missile (damage, casting interruptions), shield (although the shielding amulet can be used for the same effect).
    - level 2 : web (ridiculously OP, especially with the ring of free action), invisibility (no fear of ambush and random encounters, allows you to skip the non essential fights)
    - level 3 : MMM (great damage output)
    - level 4 : stoneskin

As for the items. The essential are for me :
    - wands gives you all the area of effect damage you need
    - ring of free action (or potions)

General strategy :
    Get easy xp to get to invisibility, web and MMM. You can do that without any challenging fighting.
    Once you have that the game is basically over.
    You use invisibility all the time to scout. When you need to fight, you open with 2-3 webs. This will ensure all your opponents to be paralyzed while you slaughter them using MMM, wands and magic missiles.
    If you use spiderspawns/haste it's even easier.

A few notes on some notable spells :
    level 1 :
    - identify is useless. It makes you save a few thousands over the course of the game. In solo, money is never a problem anyway.
    - friends is useless for the same reason
    - sleep is not needed at all if you know which parts of the game to do first. You can also buy a wand for that.

Level 2 :
    - knock is not needed at all. There is very few important locked doors/chests which cannot be forced. You get at least 4 knock scrolls (1 at davaevorn, 2 in sorcerous sundries, 1 in candlekeep) which is more than sufficient if you know what to open.
    - resist fear, although nice, can be skipped since you will use the greenstone amulet

level 3 :
    avoid anything that can be duplicated by a wand (fireball, summon, ...)

SpaceInvader