Skip to content

The pathfinding in this game makes me want to weep...

I realise it's not constructive, and it's been said before, but OMG I'd forgotten how bad it must have been when I've played the original game. I've tried the various tricks I've seen people mention, to no avail.
- My carefully set up fights crumble to dust, when my individually micromanaged units decide to head off in exactly the opposite direction to the one I've sent them.
- Just instructed my whole party to move to the dungeon exit and five of them managed to make it, while the other one went on a tour of the whole level before kindly agreeing to come to the exit.
Thank you, I feel better now.

Comments

• TvrtkoSvrdlarTvrtkoSvrdlar Member Posts: 353
    You have to babysit your party. All IE games have horrible pathfinding.
  • xzar_montyxzar_monty Member Posts: 631
    I believe it was @Dee or some other moderator (or whatever) who said that the pathfinding AI in BG2:EE is exactly the same as in the original BG2. Theoretically, that may be true, but I remember that the original BG2 allowed you to tweak pathfinding (for the top-end computers of the time), and BG2:EE does not. The Options don't provide you with the, well, option, to do that.

As a result, pathfinding in BG2:EE is an awful lot of worse than it was in the original BG2.

And I agree, pathfinding is utterly and abysmally awful in the game. It really, really sucks. That's the only gripe I've got with the whole game at the moment.

It's so bad that if you want your characters to walk in straight line from one side of the map to the other (with no obstructions on the way), you've got to make an awful lot of clicks because every two seconds or so, one of your characters is going to make a 180 degree turn and start walking in the opposite direction. Just to annoy you, it feels like. :-D
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    Yeah, I've taken to Ctrl-Jing that stray party member over. Saves a depressing amount of time from my playthroughs.
  • MitchforkMitchfork Member Posts: 390
    edited December 2013
    When in dungeons, consider switching up your party formation to the "follow the leader" option (the one that looks like a bunch of arrows). It staggers when each party member starts walking so that they almost never end up blocking each other. It isn't flawless, because your party is really spread-out and you'll usually have to retreat with frontliners when an encounter starts so that you can regroup, but at least they tend not to start walking in the complete wrong direction.
  • kryptixkryptix Member Posts: 741
    I just CTRL+J someone if the pathing got them completely lost now, I'm not wasting my life waiting for that :) Its not changing the balance of the game at all to do so. In fights if you really want to micro manage, just turn off AI.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315

I believe it was @Dee or some other moderator (or whatever) who said that the pathfinding AI in BG2:EE is exactly the same as in the original BG2. Theoretically, that may be true, but I remember that the original BG2 allowed you to tweak pathfinding (for the top-end computers of the time), and BG2:EE does not. The Options don't provide you with the, well, option, to do that.

You can change the baldur.ini file to increase the number of nodes.
  • QbertQbert Member Posts: 195
    The pathfinding becomes infinitely worse when you have a monk in your party. Rasaad turns around at EVERY doorway:( I have taken to sending him alone first then sending the rest of the party if i have to go long distances.
  • LucreLucre Member Posts: 16
    I wasn't aware of the CTRL-J thing. Presumably I'd need to enable cheats in the .ini for that?

I was aware that you could increase the nodes. I increased to 400k, but it did not make any difference whatsoever. Or if it did make a difference it was too small to be noticeable.
  • AnotherLifeAnotherLife Member Posts: 115
    Try that other option that supposedly makes them recalculate constantly and please post your result.

Google around, cause I don't remember the option name.
  • beingmarkhbeingmarkh Member Posts: 42
    This is why I hate monks (whom I actually love), and don't equip anybody with boots of speed. But it would also have been helpful had the original game not contained so many areas with narrow passages that are impossible to navigate if you don't micromanage your npcs.

Seriously, you ask Minsc to go to the temple of Lolth, and he ends up at the slave pens. And just stands there.