Skip to content

Archer in BG2 and ToB - No longer a powerhouse?

Does the effectiveness of the archer who dominated BG1 begin to wane in BG2? Is there any hope to making a powerful archer in BG2, or does melee trump ranged in every possible way?

If anyone has taken an archer through BG2 I'd love to hear about your thoughs&experiences with the class =)

Comments

• taottaot Member Posts: 6
    I took my half-elf BG1EE Archer thru all of vanilla BG2 this spring. I think it was only around about midway of ToB when she retired her bow and took up dual-wielding katanas and such. I had fun all the way but even before switching her to melee, +3 arrows being the best there are, it meant she was contributing in bigger baddie fights by killing the henchmen.

Though, that was also my first time completing all of BG2, so as all was new, it is hard to remember how limited did I feel the archer kit to be. (Also, maybe I was imagining but there might have been bugs affecting e.g. missile weapons' number of attacks).

I loaded one my final saves in BG2EE, here are my Archer's attack stats at the end:
    With applicable items (though I am sure not the best combo as this was my first) and Taralash bow, THAC0 is wonderfully obscene -22, number of attacks is 4 and damage at the 15-20 range. Dual-wielding Celestial Fury and Spectral Brand, -10 THAC0 at both hands, 7/2 attacks.

• MaylanderMaylander Member Posts: 74
    They're not a powerhouse in TOB, but they're still very potent. Gesen's Bow and Greater Whirlwind (10 APR) will allow you to bring down enemy casters and such in a round. If you're going to be efficient near the end of TOB you might have to get a bit creative though, such as using Greater Whirlwind + special arrows (depending on enemy resistances).

The key really is Greater Whirlwind (or Imp Haste) though, as it lets you tear through most enemies before they actually get close.
  • BrudeBrude Member Posts: 560
    Real said:

^That's more or less for all front-line melee fighters though.

Not really, because almost any other class and kit has more utility.

Any melee kit can either buff themselves in combat, debuff enemies, heal in a pinch, or are useful in other ways outside of combat. When, if, and how you use these abilties can make a big difference in the game.

Archers? Archers can't do jack except shoot and stealth (which any ranger can do). Their special ability, Called Shot, is of negligible value. If you never use it, you really aren't decreasing the Archer's effectiveness a whole lot. The entire class is point and click. You need never make another decision about them after that, and you most likely never will.

Imagine, on the other hand, an Assassin never using poisons, Blade never using Offensive Spin, or an Inquistor never using Dispels.

Archers offer great damage but a dull playstyle. I'd take an NPC Archer in a heartbeat, but as a PC? ZZZzzzzzz.
  • LathlaerLathlaer Member Posts: 475
    That's why Mazzy is so awesome - you give her archer script and forget about her, sometimes managing a thing or two :)
  • AvenelAvenel Member Posts: 94
    I'm running an elven archer in this game, and am mid-way through ToB. Her THACO is awesome, but I am feeling limited by the +3 arrows (note: characters using a sling can get +4 bullets - not the same thing, I know, but still...). Because creatures and enemies are getting harder to damage, I'm finding that I am switching to melee weapons such as Foebane much more, and not utilising her bow as much. I like the idea of the archer kit, but it does seem to pale once you hit ToB.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    @Avenel you should have brought the golden pantaloons, and the silver ones, and you'll be able to get a crossbow with 5 APR that fires energy bolts and has AoE, only that it is a secret thing I won't tell sshhh!
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    I dunno, I don't see how their playstyle is any more "boring" than a fighter. With a fighter you cast your buffs, point them in the right direction and something dies. Most special abilities don't require much thought - you activate some like offensive spin/poison/DUHM/hardiness at the start of a fight, others like Kai/critical strike/whirlwind/called shot when you want a damage boost.

But actually, I don't consider the simplicity to be a drawback. I'd rather not perform extra work clicking all these buttons for special abilities when all it provides is the illusion of choice. For example, you can get 10 attacks/round through Improved Haste or lots and lots of Whirlwinds, but I know which character I'd rather play.

Even you find the class boring on its own, unless you're playing solo, you will almost certainly have mages and other characters whom you do have to manage. I don't see the difference between picking a PC archer and an NPC archer because you're going to be managing your entire party either way.
    @CrevsDaak
    Lol! I'll keep that secret for you ;) Actually, I've never been able to bring the pantaloons over from BG1, so I have always missed out on that bit of fun. I haven't properly played BG1 EE because of the lack of the NPC banter pack, so I haven't been able to see if I can transport the pantaloons over on this run through. Mind you, having seen the threads on Rasaad's big metal unit, I must say the idea is rather...entertaining. O_o
  • jukagajukaga Member Posts: 49
    Made an xbow archer wielding Firetooth +4 (which you can get as soon as you can afford the 16k sticker price) and he's rockin'. Upgraded to +5 in TOB with unlimited magical bolts makes him useful throughout.
    @Avenel I never got the golden pantaloons in BG2 either, but I took a look inside the game's files :D
    I found the silver ones, in SoA, you have to be evil to find them, but since being evil in BG only drops your reputation, it don't matters.
  • rathe101rathe101 Member Posts: 61
    I did hear a rumor that they added +4 and +5 arrows in small quanities in BG2EE.. granted, it was just a rumor.

Another thing to consider though, is that Called Shot stacks PER attack. So you can beg someone with -10 save vs spell in 1 round of combat, and really make their life miserable. add to that -10 str, -10 thaco, and +20 damage, and you can really debuff someone down FAST. the -strength lasts for 10 seconds, at 10 attacks/round (greater whirlwind, improved haste) your looking at 1.67 attacks a second, meaning you can debuff someone 16.67 points of strength, and according to http://www.sorcerers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=48572 you can literally kill someone by reducing their strength to 0.
  • serialthrillaserialthrilla Member Posts: 26
    rathe101 said:

I did hear a rumor that they added +4 and +5 arrows in small quanities in BG2EE.. granted, it was just a rumor.

Another thing to consider though, is that Called Shot stacks PER attack. So you can beg someone with -10 save vs spell in 1 round of combat, and really make their life miserable. add to that -10 str, -10 thaco, and +20 damage, and you can really debuff someone down FAST. the -strength lasts for 10 seconds, at 10 attacks/round (greater whirlwind, improved haste) your looking at 1.67 attacks a second, meaning you can debuff someone 16.67 points of strength, and according to http://www.sorcerers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=48572 you can literally kill someone by reducing their strength to 0.

Interesting - this could make Called Shot very deadly indeed. :)
  • MitchforkMitchfork Member Posts: 390
    CrevsDaak said:

@Avenel I never got the golden pantaloons in BG2 either, but I took a look inside the game's files :D
    I found the silver ones, in SoA, you have to be evil to find them, but since being evil in BG only drops your reputation, it don't matters.

You can actually get them without being evil... you still have to be pretty underhanded, though.

Don't free the lady hostage right away, but loot the room for the ransom note. Based on this you can find the man that's attempting to find the ransom and lift the pantaloons off of him without talking. Then you can go back and free the woman. You get less experience for this but no reputation loss.

@rathe101
    If they have added +4 and +5 arrows, I haven't seen them so far, and I am in Amkethran. However, I have found an awful lot of arrows of detonation 0_o Good point about called shot and debuffing enemies (just not the ones that can only be damaged by something above +3 arrows!)

@Mitchfork
    Ah, I never knew that. I might try to be a bit more sneaky on my next playthrough. @CrevsDaak - maybe you can give it a shot as well :)
  • rathe101rathe101 Member Posts: 61
    Doesn't the Gesen bow count as +4 or +5 (the magical arrows it fires, not any ammo you load into it?)
    @Mithcfork thankies, but now I am playing evil :P
    @Avenel those Arrows of Detonation are new, added in the EE, they are too powerful, try using them with Deathblow, and you'll auto kill in AoE, besides, that also happens with Assassin's poison, that's because they are one of the best ammo ever.
    @rathe101 yeah, it counts as +4, but it only deals 2 piercing damage (according to the description, but we all know that it is missile damage) and some Electrical damage (aaaand I forgot how much), and I really don't think they added arrows +4 or either +5, but there were many feature requests for a longbow+4 with infinite arrows or an upgrade to make something better like Quiver of Plenty +3 striking as +5, what they added are Arrows of Detonation, and they are immensely overpowered if you use them with something like Greater Deathblow, Greater Whirlwind Attack or Poison Weapons.
  • @rathe101 The Gesen Bow counts as a +4 weapon, but if you load it with ammunition then it uses the ammunition to decide whether it can damage an enemy, not the bow's bonus.
  • QbertQbert Member Posts: 195
    edited December 2013
    I saw a thread where one of the devs commented to the effect that adding +4 and +5 arrows to the game when there was already +4 and +5 bows would make for a ridiculous thaco bonus, so they were shying away from that. I don't know why they just dont make a few "Arrows of Demon Slaying" or "Arrows of Lich SLaying" that allow one to hit the enemies that an archer would normally not be able to hit but only have +1 or +0 to Thaco. It really seems doable, and a much better option than having a PC unable to participate in thwacking one of the main baddies in the game.

EDIT: this is the thread but Camdawg explains much more in depth why archers aren't as powerful in BG2:

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/20559/higher-plus-arrows-and-bolts
  • AranthysAranthys Member Posts: 722
    Called shot is an awesome ability.
    Called shot + Improved haste, with the THACO of archers letting them hit on each shot lets you debuff your ennemies a lot, preventing damage and lowering their saves to ridiculous levels
    @Qbert
    That is an interesting thread that you provided the link to. I guess my preference for longbows means that I'll have to find another way around those darn critters that can only be damaged by something above +3 arrows (Foebane, here I come) ;)

@Aranthys
    I now have a whole new appreciation for called shot. My charname was in Amkethran and saw the confrontation between the monks and smugglers in the cavern. While the rest of my party concentrated on one of the monks, my charname used called shot, +2 arrows, and decimated the remaining monks in mere seconds. Gold. :)
  • AranthysAranthys Member Posts: 722
    Regarding +4/+5 arrows : These aren't needed : All the bows/crossbows that fire magical ammunition when no ammunition is equipped will be considered as +5 weapons if no ammunition is used.
  • MitchforkMitchfork Member Posts: 390
    Aranthys said:

Regarding +4/+5 arrows : These aren't needed : All the bows/crossbows that fire magical ammunition when no ammunition is equipped will be considered as +5 weapons if no ammunition is used.

I'm pretty sure Gesen fires +4, and Tansheron's is +3... so not all of the weapons fire as +5.
  • GamingFreakGamingFreak Member Posts: 639
    Archers are like the kensai of Rangers except that they're more boring in that the most viable end-game options are short bows or crossbows... and then you're basically just pelting stuff at range with arrows/bolts. Not enough variety to suit my tastes, but then I suppose dual-wielding swords and destroying stuff in seconds gets old too... (NOT!)
  • mjsmjs Member Posts: 742
    i love the synergy between darts of stunning and called shot on the archer: imp. haste+darts of stunning+called shot= -1 to save vs spells per hit. with darts of stunning require a save vs. spell or be stunned

and you can always fall back on melee, all you're really missing out compared to Minsc on is .5 APR, +1 to hit and +2 to damage.
  • QbertQbert Member Posts: 195
    Aranthys said:

Besides what Mitchfork said, i think none of the +4 +5 magical arrow bows are longbows, which is what i have proficiency in on my archer. Why longbows missed out i don't know.
  • For any mobs with immunity to lower enchantment weapons, just use the Sling of Everard +5. Unlimited +5 bullets; all of your special abilities work since it's a ranged weapon; and you can still get to Specialized, which loses you 1/2 attack per round, 2 THAC0 and 3 damage compared to Grand Mastery. And contrary to some posts I've seen on the forums, slings DO get bonus damage from Strength, as well as double-dipping to-hit bonuses from both Strength and Dexterity. Check out Viconia:

Not only that, but if you put +4 bullets on the Sling of Everard, the THAC0 and damage bonuses stack; you're just firing bullets with +4 enchantment instead of +5. Example: