Skip to content

Tomb of the Unproved items?

Inside the Tomb of the Unproved, there are a few items you can find: an oil lamp, a piece of silk cloth, and a golden statue. I learned that the golden statue is a trap that weighs a character down when walking over spikes, and is best discarded.

However, I have no idea what the other two items are used for. Any ideas?

Comments

• GemHoundGemHound Member Posts: 801
    edited November 2013
    I was curious about this myself, still have them all in a bag of holding, so the trap that was supposed to weigh me down, didn't.
    @Dee I think concerning the statue, you guys should make it not be able to be put in a bag of holding, either that, or move it out of the Bag of holding at that point.
  • WebDrakeWebDrake Member Posts: 35
    @sea:
    Having the silk cloth activates the statues that are just before the spiked trap. I think you can disable them permanently by placing the silk cloth in the "container" statue in the corridor.
    @GemHound: are you sure about the statue? It only has a weight of 1, and I don't notice any significant difference in the number of times I get hit on the trap when carrying it.

Or is it that the trap does less damage based on how heavy you are, and carrying the gold statue ups the damage? (I've experimented a bit with this and think it might be true, but then again, I might just be fooling myself.)
  • GemHoundGemHound Member Posts: 801
    @WebDrake I have no idea, that is what @sea stated.
    @GemHound: Whoops, apologies, I thought you were confirming it. @sea: as per my previous post, are you sure about the statue/weight thing?
  • seasea Member Posts: 65
    WebDrake said:

@GemHound: Whoops, apologies, I thought you were confirming it. @sea: as per my previous post, are you sure about the statue/weight thing?

When carrying it over the spikes, its carry weight changed to 1000+ to slow down whoever's holding it.
  • 4verse4verse Member Posts: 26
    what about the 3 mages after the spike trap? is there a way to get them fight each other? i tried many combinations, but they always attack me in the end.
  • seasea Member Posts: 65
    4verse said:

what about the 3 mages after the spike trap? is there a way to get them fight each other? i tried many combinations, but they always attack me in the end.

Pretty sure they have to end up fighting.

• ciciekciciek Member Posts: 14
    The silk doesnt work in my case. Also no idea about other items
  • EnterHaerDalisEnterHaerDalis Member Posts: 813
    edited November 2013
    wondering about these items myself ....

hope I don't need the statue for anything, I forgot I could put it in my bag of holding and left it in the tomb

ALso I'm kind of perplexed that there wasn't really any purpose of finishing hexxats quest line. Not much of a reward besides a couple level 6 scrolls and some minor experience.
  • BusticationBustication Member Posts: 49
    The silk does seem to wake (some of?) the statues, but may be a bit bugged. The golden statue, when carried over the spike trap, does increase in weight to over 1000, holding the character in place to be hit repeatedly. The lamp, when carried across the trap to the far end, summons an enraged djinni (though this also seems to need a little coding work, as it does not always happen).

As for the three mages, they can be convinced through dialogue to fight one another. Though they will also be hostile to the party, their first spells will be directed at each other, giving the player a huge edge.
  • FredjoFredjo Member Posts: 477
    I have no idea how you found out the purpose of these items because they seem to be really random.

Also I picked them up with Hexxat so when she was weighted down by the spike trap, I just thought it has to do something with her being a vampire >_<. I guess they'll end up on the streets of Athaktla now
  • AyiekieAyiekie Member Posts: 975
    To be honest, while I didn't mind the tombs otherwise, it seems completely inexplicable that there's a bunch of optional items that only seem to have bad effects if you take them (only one of which is even clearly attributable to the item). Also, casting Stone to Flesh on the statues just has them all wordlessly attack you, which is also pretty unsatisfying.
  • SporvanSporvan Member Posts: 31
    edited December 2013
    I'm starting to wonder if the items should be combined to activate the Djinni lamp.

Clearly the lamp is meant to be a quick item which you can use to summon a Djinni.

What I figured out is that if you put the golden statue inside the statue before the pit it no longer adds weight when you cross the pit. (This could be a bug though). Does it work like that for other people too?

If you think about it you have all the components available to create a djinni summoning lamp:

- Scrolls of Eftreets, Djinnis, Haeskars.
    - A magic carpet.
    - A lamp with the 1 indicating it has a charge.
    - A golden figurine.

The library books talk about fire or something too and Djinnis.

What I want to try next when I have time is to insert these items into the statue and fireball it or something to be a catalyst.

Edit: Another brainstorm I had was to use the Stone Flesh scrolls to activate the statues and then somehow they're involved in the Djini making process.

• JarlealeJarleale Member Posts: 114
    At least you get boots of elvenkind after activating the statues.
    Jarleale said:

At least you get boots of elvenkind after activating the statues.

You do? Does one of them have it as loot?

• JarlealeJarleale Member Posts: 114
    First, some of the statues turns to warriors. Later, if you use stone to flesh on one of the remaining statues, all remaining statues turns to mages. After the statues were defeated, the chest that previously were non-selectable could be opened and contained these boots.

I don't know all the triggers that played part in this, but I defeated the Efreet, the three wizards, and had all three items with me (cloth, statue, lamp).
    Thanks Jarleale!

So here's some interesting things about the tombs:

- The first four witches are pretty hard to kill and not worth the exp (10k each), but they have some good loot that can be pickpocketed so I can highly recommend doing that. Super heal potions and a +3 Shortbow.

- Carrying the Scimitar you find in the chest activates the warrior statues in the trap room. One of them has a +2 Leather.

- Carrying the Golden Statue makes you encumbered on the spike trap.

- Carrying the Lamp summons the Furious Djin after the spike trap. He has a +2 Scimitar.

- Putting all four items in the Statue before the spike trap room effectively "decurses" them and means that you can carry the items past all the traps without any of them triggering. This could be a bug or planned for some unknown purpose?

- Using the Stone to Flesh scroll activates all the Wizard statues and allows you to open the unclickable chest for Boots of Elvenkind. You can kill the statues with for example a Fireball but that doesn't trigger the chest being clickable. (Jarleale)

- You can make the mages in the Library argue with each other and cast their initial spell on each other before turning their attention to you.

Things that I haven't figured out:

- What does the silk do?
    - Is it possible to activate the oil lamp (1 charge) to perhaps create a djinni?
    - Why is there an efreet, djinni and haskaer scroll?
    - The one book is "like it is burning" in the library. What to do with it?
    - Are the items components? If so do you combine them in the tombs or perhaps get someone to craft it?

• AradeneAradene Member Posts: 6
    An easier way to kill the 3 mages is to use 3 cloud kills from the other room - one to absorb their protection spells, and then 2 will finish them off nicely.

On to the mysterious items, I have yet to find a way to "re-curse" them if you happen to put all of them on to the statue.
    One of the books talks about a brightly coloured boarder and a prince's coronation - might just be me looking too much into it, however the room with the mages does have a brightly coloured boarder out of place from the rest of the dungeon.
    I don't know if its a bug - but when I unlocked the statue room chest very annoying sounds continued until I left the dungeon.
    The 4 seers appear to be standing on tiles and their story for why they are there is rather strange - that one was the poisoner (from memory the front right one said nothing during their story, and may be the poisoner?) I have yet to kill them - but could the tiles hold some relevance?
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    My knowledge of BG:EE and vanilla BG2 tells me there was no Tomb of Unproved before BG2:EE.
    edited December 2013
    okay, something new just happened for me - unfortunately I couldn't stop the aoe in time so I couldn't act on it. Iqbal Al-Din was the last mage standing and allowed me passage for killing the other two. Maybe one needs to be alive?

Edit -
    I'm noticing that the other two always cast silence on Iqbal first no matter the senario taken - guess they really don't like him.

When Iqbal al-Din is left alive you have the option of requesting passage and turn neutral - however I have not been successful initiating dialog after that little bit - may change after you return with the shroud?
    When Diya al-Hafiz is left alive he will become hostile again no matter which of the dialog options are taken.
    When Qias Ra'id is last to die he so far remains hostile.

If one of the mages needs to be alive it looks like Iqbal is the only option to go with.
    Post edited by Aradene on
    @Aradene I also get that high pitch sound after I open the clickable chest.

Cool I didn't know you can kill two for him and great observation with the border colour.

There's a lot more than meets the eye with this dungeon and I'm almost certain there's some hidden way to activate the lamp.
    edited December 2013
    Sporvan said:

There's a lot more than meets the eye with this dungeon and I'm almost certain there's some hidden way to activate the lamp.

Same - its starting to drive me spare and I've just about put the rest of the game on hold until I solve this - or at least there's something that is missing.

On the note of who the poisoner is - suspicion leads me to Sab-something or other. She appears as the red ghost.

I still haven't figured out what the silk is for - I had initially thought you had to provide it to Badit(sp) in exchange for her to make the new shroud (non combat route) or use it to switch - however this does not seem to be the case - unless having the silk unlocks the non combat option?
  • LathlaerLathlaer Member Posts: 475
    So basically since you are safer without those items the devs were just messing with us and with the 'take everything you see in a dungeon' playstyle :)
    SHHHH! NO! Don't even suggest it :'(
  • RavagerRavager Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2014
    I tried to look into the game scripts using infinity explorer. It didn't work properly with areas but I was able to view scripts, so I learned the following:
    1. Placing silk cloth into Badiat statue (even temporarily) disables all item traps.
    2. The only use of the lamp of oil is triggering of "Djinn trap" at certain point (it destroys 4 wizard statues with fireball, make sure you have unpetrified them beforehand if you want to gain access to hidden chest).
    3. Carrying scimitar at certain point triggers "statue trap"(petrified warriors). Doesn't matter, whether trap trigger is crossed by scimitar carrier or other party member.
    4. Carrying of golden statuette over certain location actually substitutes it with another statuette.
    5. Unpetrifing one of 8 wizards unpetrifies them all and makes hostile. In order to obtain access to hidden chest you should defeat all of them.(Although silk cloth is declared to disable also "wizard trap", I didn't manage to figure out what does it mean.).
    6. Spike trap does random (3-15xdifficulty damage multipliers) piercing damage, it seems to be no way to disable it, boots of speed and stoneskin are of great use here.
    Post edited by Ravager on
  • ElverElver Member Posts: 1
    Well, I am really irritated and frustrated with The Tomb of the Unproved just because the Lamp. It's evident to me that something must to be done to turn the lamp a functional object (Damn! It has a charge, why?), otherwise why it would be possible to get all items back after the traps have being disabled permanently with the silk if their only purpose was provide free pass?

I am kinda sure that there's something behind this all and I am trying to solve this (if there's something to be solved...), or the Tomb of the Unproved is just an awful waste of time.

By the way...
    -a dusty book in the library mentions a Djinni holding a lamp...
    -I took all the objects to Cromwell, but he doesn't do anything.
    -It is possible to keep one of the three mages of the library alive after they question your intentions. You can choose the dialogue option that mentions a test to prove you are good enough to pass trough, so you will fight with them. When the 3rd (Qais Ra'id for me) is almost dead he will stop to fight, say "you're the guy" and won't let you go away, but if you say you'll come back, he allows you to go ahead and stay aliveand. (After this all, it will not be possible initiate a dialogue with him, then I have no Idea if there's a purpose to keep him alive, the XP might be the best choice)

• kaffekoppenkaffekoppen Member Posts: 377
    I was puzzled by the charge on the lamp as well and noticed the book mentioning it as well, but I really don't think it does anything.
  • kluzmankluzman Member Posts: 3
    Seems like this thread is the most advanced piece of information regarding this tomb. I'm stuck there right now trying to figure out what to do with these items and nothing happens -.- has anyone puzzled out anything new? Or has the link to a more spoilerish document on the subject?
  • gsills125gsills125 Member Posts: 5
    Has anyone tried summoning the Hakurushar or whatever it is and having it attack the holder of the lamp? Says something in the description about reducing a charge of all items or something.