Skip to content

Doom's cast time

Am I the only one ticked off by the cast time change of doom in BG2EE? In BG2 classic it was an instant/1 second cast time, making it a great spell for a combat-cleric style, but now that it's a 9second cast time.. its rather worthless. Enemies just die before you can cast it or are resistant to it if they still live. I thought the small boost it gave made it worthy of my level 1 spell slots.

I know clerics aren't exactly proficient at combat, but I always thought the combat cleric style was pretty cool. Rush in melee combat, use your instant spells such as defensive harmony, doom, along with your draw upon holy might and righteous magic and heal yourself back up when needed.

Comments

• jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    You can put it in a sequencer with a cleric/mage, but outside of that, yeah, it takes forever.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    If you want it to have a casting time of 1 its a pretty easy change. If you want it take the .spl file found inside this zip file and put it in your BGEE override folder.
  • DrayenDrayen Member Posts: 127
    Thanks, I think I'll do that. I'm just surprised the casttime got changed from 1 to 9... wondered why the devs did that. Guessing that fits with PnP? Although that makes the spell pretty worthless.
    edited December 2013
    Drayen said:

Thanks, I think I'll do that. I'm just surprised the casttime got changed from 1 to 9... wondered why the devs did that. Guessing that fits with PnP? Although that makes the spell pretty worthless.

If I had to guess I'd say that that is what it says in the original manuals and/or the description in-game so it was changed to reflect that. Sort of like how Iron Skins was changed.
  • LathlaerLathlaer Member Posts: 475
    edited December 2013
    Iron Skins is still somewhat useful as a prebuff. Doom on the other hand tends to fly towards enemies who are already dead.
    Yea, it made the spell quite useless honestly. with 9s cast time, at low levels youre better off taking something else, and at higher levels youre better off casting something else.
    Maybe if it was AoE rather than single target...
  • emjayemjay Member Posts: 84
    then it would be, you know, greater malison (or renamed lesser malison lol)
    Guess they're somewhat similar. Doom also reduce enemy thaco and damage by 2 however.
    The comparison was my intention. Doom gives lesser penalty and has only one target. That alone should warrant it's lower level. Increasing casting time to ridiculous levels makes the spell completely useless.
    For pure clerics maybe but not for a cleric/mage like aerie (using minor sequencer).
  • kryptixkryptix Member Posts: 741
    I still use doom on hard hitting melee types who probably have great saves before trying to hit them with webs and emotion etc...