Skip to content

How many wisdom boosts are there?

There's the machine of Lum and the good path in the Hell trials and, if fate cooperates, the Deck of Many Things. Is that it?

I'm thinking a cleric of Lathander>thief will be a really cool combo but I want more spells and in particular the 2 6th level spells for 24 wisdom. So if I want wisdom from the Deck does that mean I have to make it halfway down Watcher's Keep before I dual?

Comments

• CheryChocieCheryChocie Member Posts: 47
    The three tomes from BG1 if you want to pretend you took your toon through BG1 or if indeed you did take it through BG1 are the only other boosts I know of.
    nanoCrevsDaakShikao
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    CheryChocie is correct, to my knowledge. And yeah, if you want the wisdom point from the DoMT you'll need to get through Watcher's Keep before you dual-class.
    nanoCrevsDaak
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    Okay, thanks all. I wonder how early I can raid the keep... is it possible to get through the portal maze without fighting everything?
    My friend did all of WK starting at level 13 in Chapter 2 (did the whole thing in a single run, ended up with a party around levels 17-21). He's not an 'elite' player, either, so take from that what you will.
    CrevsDaaknanoShikaoKidCarnival
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    wait, you mean that if you dual a cleric then future wisdom boosts don't give the bonus spells?
    No they do. He's talking about the +1 Core Stat from the Deck of Many Things. Obviously if he uses the deck after dual-classing his Core Stat will no longer be Wisdom, and so he won't get the Wisdom bonus.
    elminsternanojackjack
  • AlkaluropsAlkalurops Member Posts: 269
    edited December 2013
    Actually, I think the +1 to core stat favors spellcasters for dual/multi class characters. So a cleric/mage will get int (mage > cleric), and a fighter/cleric will get wisdom (cleric > fighter).

Edit: I just checked DOMT.dlg and apparently this is the order in which classes are checked:
    1. thief/bard: dexterity
    2. mage: intelligence
    3. cleric/druid: wisdom
    4. strength

So yeah, if you're a cleric/thief you'll get dexterity.

But to be honest, if you're going to reload until you draw the right card you might as well just CLUA a tome of wisdom in.
    Post edited by Alkalurops on
    CrevsDaakenqenq
    Hmm, I was also hoping to dual at a relatively sane level but I guess level 12 is right out unless I can avoid killing too much on the way down. And there's that demon room, and Aesgareth himself, both of which will probably kick my butt... I don't need the wisdom or anything but it sounds like a fun challenge now.
  • Dzuk5Dzuk5 Member Posts: 129
    edited December 2013
    nano said:

There's the machine of Lum and the good path in the Hell trials and, if fate cooperates, the Deck of Many Things. Is that it?

I'm thinking a cleric of Lathander>thief will be a really cool combo but I want more spells and in particular the 2 6th level spells for 24 wisdom. So if I want wisdom from the Deck does that mean I have to make it halfway down Watcher's Keep before I dual?

i know 2 mods for bg2ee with can give 2 points and their are fine mods:
    Tales of the Deep Gardens- it will give also wery usfull items with max +2 wepons but with other very gut skills
    I Shall Never Forget

link for mode section:
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/23726/bgii-ee-compatible-mod-list/p1
    Eudaemonium
  • There is also a Silver Ioun Stone you can buy at the inn in Amkethran that gives +1 Wis while equipped, so you can actually make it to 25 Wisdom near the end of the game if you really really really want to. :)
    nano
  • NightmareNightmare Member Posts: 20
    What are the 2 spells you get for having 24 wisdom? Or does he mean extra 2 level 6 memorize slots?
  • LathlaerLathlaer Member Posts: 475
    @NIghtmare
    The latter, it's only slots. It sucks that you have to have it maxxed to get a meager 1 extra 7th level slot.
    Eudaemonium
  • NightmareNightmare Member Posts: 20
    ah ok that does suck
  • Lathlaer said:

@NIghtmare
    The latter, it's only slots. It sucks that you have to have it maxxed to get a meager 1 extra 7th level slot.

Well, the bonuses are cumulative. So at 25 wis you actually get:
    Level 1 - 3 extra
    Level 2 - 3 extra
    Level 3 - 2 extra
    Level 4 - 4 extra
    Level 5 - 4 extra
    Level 6 - 3 extra
    Level 7 - 1 extra

That's quite a lot of extra spells in total, and that last point going from 24 to 25 wis nets you a level 6 and a level 7 - not shabby.
    nanoCrevsDaakjackjack
    Yep, it's like having another holy symbol. Not bad at all.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    @nano your last comment make me remember this...
    There is a Druid-only ring on ToB that gives extra 6th and 7th lvl spells, just with UAI you should be able to wear it.
    [Deleted User]nanojackjacklolien
  • CrevsDaak said:

@nano your last comment make me remember this...
    There is a Druid-only ring on ToB that gives extra 6th and 7th lvl spells, just with UAI you should be able to wear it.

Ooo, sneaky! I like it.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    @Cyteen I just realized it, just because I NEVER had a druid in my party, and I made lots of runs.
    Well, 80% of my runs are solo runs :P
  • mjsmjs Member Posts: 742
    100% of my runs are...never mind