Skip to content

Which Should I Buy?

I played BG many years ago and loved it! Now I'd like to take it up again. I would play on OS X, 10.8.5, 2.7 GHz, Intel Core 15, 8 GB memory. I don't have much time, so I probably will just "mess around" until next summer. Should I get BG EE or BG EE II?

P.S. Never finished the game years ago...

Comments

• bevbrown42bevbrown42 Member Posts: 4
    Thx for your quick reply! I can start today!
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    If you never beat BG and never played BG2, I very much recommend getting BGEE before BG2EE. The story of BG2 takes place almost immediately following the events of BG1, and many plot points make reference to the first game. If you don't know the main twists and turns of the saga, you definitely should begin with the first game to experience them properly.

Plus, the new Enhanced Edition NPCs all have great content in BGEE, which nicely progresses into their story points in the sequel, so you'll get their background, too.
    Heindrich
    Thx! Just bought BG EE so your comment is nicely reassuring.
    Heindrich
  • MorrandirrMorrandirr Member Posts: 60
    *puts in one more reassurance*
    bevbrown42
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    I started with BGII, way back when, and I did just fine without knowing what had happened in the first game.

That being said, when I then went to try and play the first game, I found myself struggling to keep my interest. My friends couldn't understand why, but they had also started with the first game. I think the second game's depth of character development ruined me for the BG experience.

So if you haven't played either, I definitely agree with others that you'll want to start with the first one. The second game is the real "meat and potatoes" of the series, but it works better with the foundation of its less complex predecessor.
    HeindrichCrevsDaakReal
    Thanks much for your thoughtful reply. I've bought the first one but I haven't had a chance to begin it yet. Trying to decide on a good toon to role for a noob, complete noob that is. I'm thinking of a fighter for sure and saw a suggestion of an "undead hunter" but I don't know enough yet to understand how to get to that configuration or if necessary components are missing.
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959

Thanks much for your thoughtful reply. I've bought the first one but I haven't had a chance to begin it yet. Trying to decide on a good toon to role for a noob, complete noob that is. I'm thinking of a fighter for sure and saw a suggestion of an "undead hunter" but I don't know enough yet to understand how to get to that configuration or if necessary components are missing.

If you want something nice and easy for the first game. It can't get any easier than an Elven Archer. Missile weapons dominate BG 1.

If you want something that's powerful for the entire saga from BG 1 to BG 2, then I recommend Paladin or any of its Kits.
  • MaylanderMaylander Member Posts: 74

Undead Hunter will work out just fine. Getting it is not hard: You just need to start out as a human, select Paladin as a class and Undead Hunter will show up as an option. If you go with a Fighter, be sure to stick with the "Berserker" kit. It is chosen the same way Undead Hunter is, but when selecting Fighters. It offers an ability that will let you mow down some of the more frustrating fights in the game.
  • SkaffenSkaffen Member Posts: 709
    I would suggest a fighter cleric multiclass. It will stay viable for the whole saga, has good survivability, can fight, heal, summon and cast a few combat spells. Gives you a chance to learn the magic system without having to worry about were to find scrolls (mage) or the risk of ruining your character by the wrong spell picks (sorceror). Save those for your next run which you will be doing anyway :)
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    If you have to ask, don't buy. It's an old game, made for nostalgy more than for vast amount of new contents. If you aren't eager to jump in the opportunity of have something different by spending some $20/30 buckets on BG/BG2 EE, then don't buy, cos you're going to disappoint yourself.

That's my opinion anyway, be free to ignore it and do whatever you wish however.

If you ask my opinion, i will say it's worth the trade, but then, it's your time and your fun that are at stakes, i can't give you a right answer, only my answer.