Skip to content

Can you take your time making progress?

StormvesselStormvessel Member Posts: 654
I searched the internet and didn't find an answer to my exact question, but is there some kind of limit on how long a player can take getting through the story? I am already at around 7 days and not even to Nashkel yet, and Jaheira is already complaining. Is there ever any negative (or less positive?) ramifications for taking one's sweet time progressing?

And lastly, do enemies in future chapters scale according to level or are they a set value? I don't want to take my time only to have the game be too easy.

Thanks.

Comments

• DelvarianDelvarian Member Posts: 1,232
    You can take your time for the most part, but certain NPC quests are on a timer. You better get to Naskel soon or Jaheira and Khalid will leave you.
  • StormvesselStormvessel Member Posts: 654
    Truth be known, I have plans for Khalid but Jaheira I could do without. Wish I could dump one without losing the other.
  • EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199

Truth be known, I have plans for Khalid but Jaheira I could do without. Wish I could dump one without losing the other.

Get Jaheira killed and then drop her corpse from the party.

If you want a less permanent solution, find a House you never intend to go into again and send Jaheira in alone. Close the door, then get a fair distance away and drop her from the party. She won't be close enough to trigger her 'let's go, Khalid' dialogue.
    Wow! Thanks so much Eudaemonium!
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    Khalid and Jaheira and Xzar and Montaron both have timers to get to Nashkel.

Minsc gives you 10 days to find Dynaheir before flipping out.

Kivan will now give you 20 days to clear the Bandit camp from when he joins.

Kagain does have a quest (to find a missing caravan) but all you need to do is go 1 map North, so it's not a stretch.

There's also a time sensitive quest in the city of Baldur's Gate, triggered when you speak with a chap called Marek. You'll want to complete that one quickly.

You also only have a certain amount of time to kill a certain lycanthrope once you return from the island.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited October 2013
    Jah- Jaheira. No. NO!

:D
    Thanks Corvino - that's what I needed.
  • WilburWilbur Member Posts: 1,173

And lastly, do enemies in future chapters scale according to level or are they a set value? I don't want to take my time only to have the game be too easy.

Thanks.

Enemies do not scale in level. Depending on your party the game can be too easy at some point, but there will still be at least some challenging battles. You can always adjust the difficulty slider in the game options if the going gets too easy.

No worries @Stormvessel.

There are a couple of other quests with timers, but nothing that'll kill you or cause party members to leave. There's a quest for Varci Roaringhorn in Baldur's Gate that you can fail if you take too long (only found that out recently).
    Thanks Wilbur, that's what I will do. I will just up the difficulty slider as needed (sort of like with the Elder Scrolls games).

Corvino: Appreciate it. I feel better now.

Thanks to all!

• MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    Don't the number of enemies per random encounters scale with level? I could have sworn I encountered larger groups of random foes like gnolls or wolves as I gained levels in the EE.
    edited October 2013
    Madhax said:

Don't the number of enemies per random encounters scale with level?

I hope - that would be excellent.

Can anyone confirm this?

In BG2 there are definitely groups that vary with level. At higher level you'll encounter Liches where you would have skeleton warriors earlier, or Adamantite golems in place of Iron Golems.

BG1 & EE not so much. There have been a couple of adjustments to the random spawning elements over the last couple of patches though. I think you're more likely to meet hostile Cave bears instead of neutral Black bears at higher level from some spawn points, but can't confirm it.
  • TheWhitefireTheWhitefire Member Posts: 119
    I can confirm from experience you are certainly more likely to encounter hostile cave bears instead of semi-neutral black bears. Although I always get nervous moving through a map when I see six black bears spawned in a row, knowing that if one of them drifts away and gets too close, I'm likely in for a very frustrating fight. It's why I don't keep Garrick around. He breaks too easily.
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    You have a time limit to do quests before Nashkel and for Xzar/Montaron and Jaheira/Khalid doing Nashkel... They will leave and be unobtainable if you don't do them fast enough.
  • GamingFreakGamingFreak Member Posts: 639
    lol worried about BG1 getting too easy. I have nightmares from the end-game on Tutu. NIGHTMARES.