Skip to content

Creative Sound Card Problem?

darkhawk978darkhawk978 Member Posts: 4
edited November 2013 in Windows PC (Archive)
Okay where to start; where to start?

I currently own a Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Extreme Fata1ty Sound Card. I've had it installed for my computer for years..rough guess 4yrs + ?

I bought Baldurs Gate Enhanced Edition and have played that game for several hours...by several I'd say over 20hrs ??

I bought Baldurs Gate 2: Enhanced Edition and can play the game a good 20-30minutes before the sound goes all corrupt. At first I'd say it sounds like a Pinging noise but then it switches to a crackly sound, especially when I click a character..instead of character talking its all crackly. Now I'm not 100% sure...bah; let me fire up BG: EE real quick....okay well Classic Baldurs Gate we have an option of selecting our Audio Output. Now it looks like the User Interface of BG:EE got a graphical change since I played it last...not sure if that has anything to do with Audio

(EDIT: At first I was thinking BG:EE allowed us to select a Sound Audio Output; Classic BG did but apparently when I launched it just now didnt give me that option; sound options are the same from BG:EE as to BG2:EE...and I know that the specifications to play these games are "Windows Compatible Sound Card")

(EDIT2: I can disable Character Sounds and Ambient Sounds and my issue goes away LOL)

Anyways so I play BG2:EE and not sure what can replicate it except maybe the duration...all of a sudden the sound starts to crackle and my only hope for a fix is to just exit the game entirely-reboot PC and re launch and voila. Problem fixed.

Irony is that newer games such as Injustice: Gods Among Us or Batman: Arkham Origins or even Dead Island, I can play for hours and I do not get any sound issues.

My Creative Volume Panel icon near clock when I right click and choose Settings for Select Audio Device I do got options such as "Windows Default or SB-XFi" now I'm thinking if I have disabled my "on board sound" and use this Creative Sound Card I needed to select SB-XFi right?

Hmmm maybe what I will try is that I will select "follow windows default" and launch and play game and see if theres a difference

Otherwise aside from me disabling my Creative Sound Card and using my Motherboards internal Sound; I'm not sure why all games can play just find except BG2:EE

Also like I said, its been a while since I played BG:EE but perhaps I'll give that a try too and see if sound can be replicated

Thanks and I'll be back
Post edited by Illydth on

Comments

• darkhawk978darkhawk978 Member Posts: 4
    Okay well I guess good news; I did change my Audio Device from "SB XFi" to the "Follow Windows Default" played BG2:EE for 58minutes no issues. Then after a short break I replayed BG2:EE for roughly 90minutes and again no issues. So this is something I guess I can handle :)

By changing though, I get a Red X over my Volume Panel and even after changing it back but a simple reboot fixes my red x icon thing.

Like I said, its something I can live with :)

Problem solved "Creative Sound Card...if you get crackly issues, switch your volume panel audio device to windows default fur the duration of the game, it should fix the issue" Thanks
  • darkhawk978darkhawk978 Member Posts: 4
    So I thought I would revisit this, hoping that someone else has experienced these anomolies within the sound as well?

It doesnt happen everytime I game just periodically and within these 'periodically' the computer has rebooted a lot so its not like I keep PC on 24-7 without a reboot.

Anyways since the last post Id say I have had the sound issue, 3-4 times...in fact one right now.

I did exit the game but upon launching the games sound is still wonky.

Rebooting fixes it, if not 99.99% of the time.

I am just curious why I am experiencing it though?
  • IllydthIllydth Member, Developer Posts: 1,641
    Moving this to Performance Issues, Windows.
  • grassottograssotto Member Posts: 1
    i have the same video card and experiencing same issue, i don't have any problem with the standard version of baldru's gate II