Skip to content

Reverting to a Clean Install

BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
Hello, I am trying to install some mods to BG2:EE, but I am worried about what to do if things go wrong, or if I install something or several somethings I don't like, to the point where I want to just revert to a clean BG2:EE install.

I haven't seen any clear, concise information anywhere on how to do a clean install.

I can run uninstall program and then redownload the whole thing from Beamdog, I would think, but Windows 7 tends to keep settings in its registry even for an uninstalled program. I did the procedure once in BG1:EE, and all the mods I was trying to get rid of were still there after I uninstalled program, redownloaded, and reinstalled.

I wound up having to uninstall the Beamdog client before I could finally revert to a clean install through a manual download.

There has got to be an easier way.

@LiamEsler, could you please give us a step-by-step on how to revert to a clean EE install using the Beamdog client in Windows 7? (And other operating systems, if other people need it.) Your work on providing mod updates and a recommended install order is of great help.

Thank you so much.

Comments

• ErgErg Member Posts: 1,756
    I can't provide advice on BG2EE or the Beamdog Client as I don't have them, but the easiest way to revert BG1EE to a clean install using the Standalone Launcher is to click the icon on the bottom right and select "Repair install" as for the image below:

It will take just few moments.

The only problem is that it works too well :)

In fact it will delete all external files in the game directories, but not the ones under "My Documents" unless you have a hard link to them.
    BelgarathMTHCrevsDaak
  • IsayaIsaya Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 752
    edited December 2013
    1. Make a full backup of the installation folder on DVD-ROM/USB/hard disk/...
    2. Install mods and play
    Once you're done and want to go back to vanilla:
    3. Delete the complete installation folder
    4. Copy back the saved installation folder at the same location

Alternative:
    1. Make a full copy of the installation folder in another folder on the hard disk
    2. Install mods in the newly copied folder
    3. Run the game from baldur.exe in the newly copied folder when you want to play with mods
    Once you're done, delete the copy.

Note: all installations share the same folder for save games, portraits, ... (in "My documents"). Make sure you name everything so that you can differentiate your saves from vanilla from those made with mods.
    ErgCrevsDaak
  • BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968

...but Windows 7 tends to keep settings in its registry even for an uninstalled program. I did the procedure once in BG1:EE, and all the mods I was trying to get rid of were still there after I uninstalled program, redownloaded, and reinstalled.

Look for a utility called Revo Uninstaller. In addition to removing the program, you can tell it to also remove any leftover registry entries. It's really the best tool for removing programs from your system. As for the mods, you'll need to delete them manually from the installation folder. The game's uninstaller will only remove files it has placed itself, and won't touch anything that was added by you afterwards.