Skip to content

Question about bows in BG2

I am currently running a single player game of BGEE as an elven F/M/T, with a focus on longbows.

I am going to be started a multiplayer game in BG2EE with 3 or 4 friends, half of which are complete noobs. I would like to either import my F/M/T archer, or at least roll a new bow user of some sorts for it.

I've heard that bows/arrows aren't as good/effective in BG2, and that is fine, but are they at least still good or DECENT? I don't need to be uber, but I will need to be effective since I will be carrying the group a bit.

Also, I've heard that longbows are harder to find in BG2? Should I redo my build to focus on shortbows instead? What are the pros and cons?

Thanks!

Comments

• jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    They're not as powerful as they were in BG1, but they're certainly still effective. Personally I prefer crossbows or shortbows.
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    You can pick up a very nice shortbow which is good for general mobs fairly early on (the Tuigan shortbow which gives +1APR). There are other good shortbows later as well, the Gesen one springs to mind.

Don't expect to dominate like you will have in BGEE though.
  • RealReal Member Posts: 68
    Two main shortbows:

One gives an extra per round. Obtainable very early in the game.

Another fires free +4 arrow that deals bonus electrical damage. This electrical damage stacks with the damage bonuses of your equipped arrows (if you choose to equip any). This stacking is considered to be an exploit since it makes no sense but does increase your damage output. Obtainable late.

There is really only one good crossbow. It fires free magical +2 bolts that deals additional fire damage. Also stacks with the damage and effect bonuses of your equipped arrows. Once again, doing this is considered to be an exploit since it makes no sense. Can be obtained when you actually have the gold for it.

For longbows...

There is one that gives you the ability to improve your thac0 considerably for 9 seconds once per day and another which gives you magic resistance when equipped... Oh yeah, there is another one that increases your movement rate like boots of speed.

The hardest hitting longbow provides a simple +3 damage per hit and is obtainable in shops. Longbows can certainly work, but its many of its weapons seem to provide utility rather than straight-up damage. That is likely the reason why it is not as popular as the other bow styles.
  • tennisgolfbolltennisgolfboll Member Posts: 457
    If it was an exploit bg ee team would have fixed it ?
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited December 2013
    Real said:

This stacking is considered to be an exploit since it makes no sense but does increase your damage output.

Standard Magical Arrows themselves don't get any damage bonuses (by that I mean +2 arrows don't get +2 damage). I think that particular benefit is more of a design choice than an exploit.
  • DrayenDrayen Member Posts: 127
    Considering how many items enhance your strenght, melee weapons get really strong... Although I believe slings increase their damage from strenght as well, on top of being the only ranged weapon that has +4 bullets! You won't have grandmastery in slings however, but youll still get the passsive archer bonus to thaco and damage, so during greater whirlwind, slings might actually be the best damaging weapon as your APRs are set to 10.

If you make an archer, you will be a powerhouse at mid-higher levels. by late SoA/ToB, you will never miss, you'll kill enemies before they reach you, and I think entanglement can make your targets stand still at the mercy of your arrows.
  • SkaffenSkaffen Member Posts: 709
    From a powergaming perspective a slinger has huge damage potential because strength is uncluded in damage and you can even wear a shield with some protective properties while sniping. But I just can't get myself to use that as my main "archer". :)
  • caliduscalidus Member Posts: 10
    Slings are neat and all, if you are a halfling...

But slings and "archery" should not be mentioned in the same sentence, IMO.