Skip to content

Reload Necessary?

HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
I'd rather avoid explaining the context to avoid spoilers. But I'd like to check if it is possible to continue under the worst case scenario...

I am playing ToB with a F/M with nearly 4M xp. I have killed Gromnir Il-Khan and made it deep into Watcher's Keep. If I suddenly decided to switch 4 of my companions and bring back Mazzy, Keldorn, Nalia and Valygar, would I be able to complete ToB given that those 4 would start with only 2.5M xp?

Oh I still have Anomen, who is arguably even stronger than Charname, but I do not have Carsomyr for Keldorn (sold it in Amn I think).

Also I am playing BG 2 Vanilla without any mods, so no worries about SCS or Ascension.

Comments

• CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    You can complete ToB, but it will be difficult, if you want, use Shadow keeper for the XP of the joining party members and to get Carsomyr into ToB.
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    why do you want to change the party anyway? just trying to mix it up? what about aerie! i know you romanced her.

anyway, answer is you likely can. if you are willing you could also keeper them to catch them up a bit.
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    edited December 2013
    @ChildofBhaal599

Trust me, this was not a matter of choice... A disaster befell the party, and this time I cannot blame bad design or a bug, so I cannot bring myself to reload unless totally unavoidable. If I had to cheat in items or xp to beat the game, I would just reload from before the disaster, as a 'lesser of two evils' solution.

Anyways, as I said, I asked about the 'worst case scenario'... hopefully it won't come to that.
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    Now I'm curious. What happened that caused you to totally change the party? Throw it in a spoiler tag if you don't want to broadcast it.

Anyway, I think it'll be quite possible, just more difficult than normal. All you really get after 2.5 million XP is HLAs, since you should have enough spell slots by that point and the HP gains will be minimal. I recently completed Sendai's Enclave in ToB EE without resting a single time, which was a fun challenge, and one you might not be capable of since you'll have fewer spells and HLAs than my party, but if you don't mind resting a bit more you should still be okay.

Success or failure in ToB is more about items and tactics than experience levels, in my opinion.
  • ChildofBhaal599ChildofBhaal599 Member Posts: 1,781
    well just sounds weird that you would consider leaving aerie dead lol. talk about a sad ending for sima jin there. i guess you were trying to go minimal reload and i never noticed in any of the episodes i've watched? i mostly focused on the big battles. not enough time for that and all my other subs. there should still be a bit of aerie romance in TOB for you, considering you went so soon to watchers keep and i assume you are talking about
    demogoron

anyway, might make interesting just as a bitter sweet ending, as jin loses all those he loved. would i do it myself? absolutely no! i can't stand having a new party :)
  • SkaffenSkaffen Member Posts: 709
    I think you should still be able to do it. After some time higher levels more or less extend the time between rests to replenish spells and HLAs and not make them possible in the first place. And since as a bhaalspawn you can always gate to your pocket plane for a quick cat... uh, demigod-nap that should not be an issue.

If you play EE think about including the new NPCs at least part of the time since their added content will give you a chance to catch up with xp vs. the original game. Careful though, I have not done all new areas but those that I did so far were quite challenging and tougher than legacy content. Nalia I would drop for Neera any day and if you play non-EE I would still prefer Jan over her.
    Madhax said:

Now I'm curious. What happened that caused you to totally change the party? Throw it in a spoiler tag if you don't want to broadcast it.

@Madhax
    Hey! Sorry I forgot about this until I just uploaded it to Youtube. (Processing/uploading a few hrs behind gameplay).

A random Demi-Lich is what happend...

I didn't have a Freedom Scroll, or know where to find it, or have anyone left who can learn it... lol
  • SkaffenSkaffen Member Posts: 709
    I think Freedom can't be learned but the scroll read by everyone like restoration...
  • TwaniTwani Member Posts: 640
    I won't spoil you, but rest assured, there is a Freedom scroll in the Throne of Bhaal expansion. You will be able to save Imoen and Aerie.

What I can't remember is if there was more then one of them, so that Imoen could then learn the scroll and reach Minsc and Jaheria. Hm. Still, looking at your video, I think Immy and Aerie got imprisoned close enough together that one scroll will save them both. Same with Jaheria and Minsc, if you choose that route.
    @Twani
    Thanks, I finally resolved the problem! I've found two scrolls, so I was able to rescue Imoen and teach her Freedom, so that she could then rescue everyone else.

Imprisonment could still be a major problem in the future if Imoen is the victim though... I guess I'll have to keep her extra safe.

@Skaffen
    I don't know if there is a Priest spell equivalent, but Freedom is definitely also a lv9 Arcane spell, which can be learnt like any other normal lv9 spell. (Thank Helm!)