Skip to content

dream a little. What classes or kit would you give for OLD NPC;)

Dzuk5Dzuk5 Member Posts: 129
Jaheira-> just cosmetic change she should be worrior/Avenger
Valegar-> he should be Wizard Slayer
edit: other ideas I erased because of controversy and complaints about my spelling
Post edited by Dzuk5 on

Comments

• LathlaerLathlaer Member Posts: 475
    edited December 2013
    Some of your ideas are simply weird. Sarevok as Berserker? Nothing in his behaviour nor his fighting style suggests going into such rage. Anomen as a warrior is simply contrary to his believe system and church/Order hierarchy. He can't be a paladin either, as it is implied that in the Most Noble Order paladins are the most prestigious cast. Viconia also seems like mentioned blasphemy but I kind of agree with Jaheira and Valygar.

Also, how you can spell 'Jaheira' and 'Haerdalis' but not 'but' is beyond me.
  • Dzuk5Dzuk5 Member Posts: 129
    edited December 2013
    erased
    Post edited by Dzuk5 on
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    *Head explodes from too many spelling/grammar mistakes.* It is too much for somebody who strongly favours order in daily life. Helm save me!

Sorry if English is not your first language. I don't mean to troll... but a quick spell-checker wouldn't hurt... When I copy-pasted your thread, the screen lit up with red lines.

I also mostly disagree with changing character classes. A lot of your changes totally change the nature of the character, as their class is pretty central to their identity. If Aerie was an archer, her entire lore no longer makes sense, same goes for Anomen and Nalia (Monk?! really?)

*Head explodes from too many spelling/grammar mistakes.* It is too much for somebody who strongly favours order in daily life. Helm save me!

Sorry if English is not your first language. I don't mean to troll... but a quick spell-checker wouldn't hurt... When I copy-pasted your thread, the screen lit up with red lines.

I also mostly disagree with changing character classes. A lot of your changes totally change the nature of the character, as their class is pretty central to their identity. If Aerie was an archer, her entire lore no longer makes sense, same goes for Anomen and Nalia (Monk?! really?)

fine, i will erase privious posts, that they haven't given you a headache
  • karnor00karnor00 Member Posts: 680
    I would have preferred Neera as a sorceror rather than a wild mage. I'd have thought it would fit well with her background story - sorcerors being new in 3ED (so not really seen in Baldur's Gate timeframe) would explain why the Red Wizards are so interested in finding out about her power.

Minsc would always have been better as a berserker than a ranger. Rashemen warriors are supposed to be berserkers after all.

Valgyar as a wizard slayer would make a lot of sense. Although it would manage to make him even more useless than he currently is.

Imoen would have been better staying as a single class thief. I realise her being a mage is a major plot element in BG2, but in BG1 she never showed any inclination towards becoming a mage. Although to be fair none of the BG1 characters had much development.

Keldorn would probably have fit better as a vanilla paladin, or maybe a cavalier. Nothing in his background or conversations suggest he is a dedicated mage hunter. Although obviously from a powergaming perspective I'm delighted that Keldorn is an inquisitor.

Cernd would be better as... well anything else really.
  • SkaffenSkaffen Member Posts: 709
    Jan as a jester.
    Dzuk5 said:

Ah... I'm sorry if u were offended. It really wasn't my intention. I pointed out the spelling partly in jest, and partly as advice, cos it honestly did take some effort to read and understand. My head obviously did not actually explode, and I do not really worship a fictional deity. :)

Also although I stand by what I said about changing NPC classes, this is a forum, we are free to share our thoughts. Just because other people disagree, does not take away your right to share your opinions.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    @Heindrich1988 u seem to become mo' lawfu? Since when? u like pizza? U're a priest of Lathander? because I dislik Lathander, no one talk about Kyuss, MY god, LONG LIVE TO THE LORD OF THE UNDEADS!!!!!!
    @CrevsDaak

lol you claim to be chaotic 'god' (all demons aspire for godhood, but you are no Talos yet!), and thus for the universe (forum) to remain balanced, I must rise as a champion of Law and Order. Helm give me strength!
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    Well, I've always liked the component in the Tweak Pack that turns Montaron into an Assassin, very appropriate for his character...
    edited December 2013

@CrevsDaak

lol you claim to be chaotic 'god' (all demons aspire for godhood, but you are no Talos yet!), and thus for the universe (forum) to remain balanced, I must rise as a champion of Law and Order. Helm give me strength!

@Heindrich1988
    Hey, you've didn't use capital letters!!!!!
    I am no demon, child, I also vote for Balance, but WHERE do you see Balance, it died, long ago, with the creation of Law, that gave place to Chaos, in the start of the creation of the universe.

"Existence a Chaotic Law.
    Balance was dying,
    when Existence was rising.
    Chaos will over come,
    Law will rise again.
    The tedious circle,
    hath begun again."

Also, I am contained Chaos, I have no power outside this realm, but here, HERE, I SURPASS THE POWER OF ALL GODS TOGETHER, HERE, I AM INVINCIBLE, I CAN FORGE PLANES WITH MY POWER, I CAN UNMAKE YOU!!
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    That took what, 2 posts to go off-topic?
    edited December 2013

Dzuk5 said:

Ah... I'm sorry if u were offended. It really wasn't my intention. I pointed out the spelling partly in jest, and partly as advice, cos it honestly did take some effort to read and understand. My head obviously did not actually explode, and I do not really worship a fictional deity. :)

Also although I stand by what I said about changing NPC classes, this is a forum, we are free to share our thoughts. Just because other people disagree, does not take away your right to share your opinions.
    I know that sometimes it is hard to understand what I want to say. my thoughts are rather chaotic, even as I write in my native language. I did not want that this post turned into an endless litany of comments about author spelling skills so I erase moust of it. I left an example and wait to see if others share thier thoughts of the subject but see subjcet change quickly:P

PS. Minsc -> Barbarian or Beast master
    karnor00 said:

Minsc would always have been better as a berserker than a ranger. Rashemen warriors are supposed to be berserkers after all.

• ryuken87ryuken87 Member Posts: 563
    I change NPC classes all the time. I've played the game so many times that having just one character being the class I want to play isn't enough, I might have an inkling to use an Avenger, an Archer and a Shadowdancer so I throw them all into one playthrough.

I rarely take Imoen and hadn't planned on taking her in my current game but went it got to chapter 4 I kinda wanted her in. But I also had Jan and Neera so Imoen would be completely redundant tactically and provide competition for scrolls. I also had a sudden urge to cast Insect Plague on some monsters so without further ado Imoen was in and EEKeepered to an Avenger. It makes no sense, I just wanted to do it.
  • KidCarnivalKidCarnival Member Posts: 3,747
    Ignoring off topic

The one major change I would really like would be Nalia as a sorcerer or bard, and more specifically, a utility arcane caster without direct damage spells. Her spell selection would focus on things like Knock, various Invisibility spells and protections. This would allow her to keep her backstory consistent - she'd use invisibility to sneak out, Knock to open locks and, if bard, Pickpocket to steal from the rich, and excel at protections due to her need for those spells on the streets/in shady company.
    Dragons and various other powerful creatures that can shapeshift are notorious for "retiring" in human form and would obviously use their power to become wealthy/noble humans; it wouldn't be out of place if Nalia's bloodline contained a dragon or something (if sorcerer). As bard - it's quite common that noble families encourage their children to pick up arts.

This would allow Nalia to not be (seen as) an inferior clone of Imoen and be different and interesting to play. Her thief levels are nothing to write home about, so dropping them alltogether in favor of a more interesting single class wouldn't hurt her.
  • XavioriaXavioria Member Posts: 874
    For BG2, I would say Valygar SHOULD definitely be a wizard slayer... with a romance...
    Sarevok should have a custom fighter kit, Mazzy should have a kit of some sort, or be changed to a kitless paladin. I also kinda think that since Aerie was trained by a gnome, and follows a gnomish god that maybe she should be Cleric/Illusionist, although I suppose with Jan there, and the fact that she's already an illegal class race combination that perhaps it's best left alone...?
  • MitchforkMitchfork Member Posts: 390

This would allow Nalia to not be (seen as) an inferior clone of Imoen and be different and interesting to play. Her thief levels are nothing to write home about, so dropping them alltogether in favor of a more interesting single class wouldn't hurt her.

I think Nalia being more-or-less equivalent to Imoen was an intentional design choice- I recall that the original script for Shadows of Amn would have had Imoen die in Spellhold, so Nalia was probably intended to be a mechanical replacement for her. They probably just never bothered to change Nalia once they altered the script.
    Mitchfork said:

I think Nalia being more-or-less equivalent to Imoen was an intentional design choice- I recall that the original script for Shadows of Amn would have had Imoen die in Spellhold, so Nalia was probably intended to be a mechanical replacement for her. They probably just never bothered to change Nalia once they altered the script.
    Imoen could die? Wow 0_o
    i never heard about that.
  • MitchforkMitchfork Member Posts: 390
    Dzuk5 said:

Imoen could die? Wow 0_o
    i never heard about that.

I'm trying to find an interview or other source to confirm that but I can't find anything right now- it's definitely something that I remember hearing though. Maybe someone else has more insight than I do.
    Yeah, obviously (I mean, portraits are similar, class combo, alignment...) she's Imoen's "replacement". But since Imoen sadly doesn't die, it would be nice if Nalia was elevated from that status and given her own... umm, everything.
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239

Yeah, obviously (I mean, portraits are similar, class combo, alignment...) she's Imoen's "replacement". But since Imoen sadly doesn't die, it would be nice if Nalia was elevated from that status and given her own... umm, everything.

The strange thing is that Imoen isn't actually meant to take Nalia's place after Spellhold - she fills Yoshimo's slot in the party. Might've made more sense if Nalia had been the traitor, since you can end up going to the Underdark with two characters who are very, very similar...
  • artyomartyom Member Posts: 26
    -korgan-dwarven defender
    -+1 for nalia as a sorceress (though you wouldnt want the game to pick her spells for you)
    -aerie- druid/enchantess (either multiclass or option to duel class via quest or smth, or quest to pick either or)
    -cernd. Keeps his class but increased stats
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    Changing Mazzy from a pure fighter to a Truesword of Avoreen would be cool, even if it would be a purely cosmetic change due to her specials.

I'd definitely second changing all clerics to diety-specific kits, including Viconia to a cleric of Shar. It makes no sense for her to get a symbol of Talos in TOB, nor for Aerie to get one of Lathander.
    shawne said:

The strange thing is that Imoen isn't actually meant to take Nalia's place after Spellhold - she fills Yoshimo's slot in the party. Might've made more sense if Nalia had been the traitor, since you can end up going to the Underdark with two characters who are very, very similar...
    I think - as others mentioned above - Nalia was already in the writing when the plan was still to let Imoen die in Spellhold. When it comes to function in the party, Jan is the actual "replacement", since Nalia has less thief levels than Imoen.

Either way, Nalia would do better if she was her own character with a different class. And without backstab - it contradicts her character and would make more sense if she was good at avoiding/immune to backstabs (due to being used to be careful in the slums and knowing how to spot an attacker in dark alleys).
    @KidCarnval that should make Nalia a 50% more useless than now :P
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    @CrevsDaak - Personally, I'm okay with that.
    @jackjack I think she has lots of uses, but not as a thief, and the spells were the only thing that saved her for being totally useless.
    Still, I don't get why she do not has Burning Hands, so I could kill trolls easier....
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    Yup, Nalia shoulda been a bard.
  • ArabaniArabani Member Posts: 25
    Valygar is the only one I wish to be another calss. A fighter, a neutral alignment fighter. BG2 realy lacks pure fighters and there is no neutral fighter at all, exept Willson probably))) New fighter npc would be nice too.
    Mazzy is perfect as she is imo, I don't want her to be a paladin. Grandmaster, 5 stars in a weapon, is much better then anything a paladin can bring. Give her a good sword, or two,and magic protection and she's unstopable.
    And ofcourse I agree that every cleric and paladin should have a special kit.