Skip to content

Building a multiplayer party, w/ newbs

caliduscalidus Member Posts: 10
edited December 2013 in New Players (NO SPOILERS!)
Hey everyone.

I've played through most of BG2 and some of BG1, but haven't completely finished either. That said, I'm pretty versed in the games and their rules (D&D 2e, etc).

I have a friend who also knows the games well and has played through them. We are going to be starting a new multiplayer game that will also include our girlfriends/wives and a few other friends. At least half of these people will be completely new to the games and the rules.

Unfortunately, I realize now that BGEE would have been the wiser choice, but it is too late, everyone already bought BG2EE, so we will be playing that (unless people scream at us and tell us we are making a huge mistake).

(GETTING TO THE POINT NOW)

Anyway, all that said, I am trying build a character that can sort of carry the group if need be, since a lot of them are new. I originally wanted to play a bow user (love it in BG, and I know it isn't as powerful in BG2), and I was thinking about going F/M/T. I could do a mix of bows and single weapon, some stealh, backstabs, traps, locks, and also have magic for utility purposes.

My second choice, which I don't want as much but seems amazing, is either a Fighter/Cleric or Ranger/Cleric multi. I tried them last night for a bit and they seem pretty darn amazing, especially the R/C with two-weapons.

I know a lot of this depends on the rest of the party, and I think that goes something like: Cleric, Cleric, Druid, unknown, unknown. I know that is redundant, but we want the girls to play something they will enjoy (and I think they want clerics/druids).

Is a F/M/T a good choice or would it be a mistake? Would it level too slow, have too few HPs, thac0, spells, thieving skills, etc to be usefull?

The only other thing I can think of is if i create a dual class fighter to 3 or 7 and dual it to thief in BG1, then carry that character into BG2. I tested the build by giving it 160k exp in the console, and man... 3 attacks per round with my shortbow, crazy good thac0, AC, etc... impressive.

Any thoughts on these ideas and just in general what would be a good class to CARRY the team when they all suck and fall apart on themselves? (And will we need or seriously regret not having someone with good detect traps and lockpicking?)

Thanks, and sorry for the long post! :)

Comments

• HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    It sounds like at least one other person knows what they are doing...

So what you really want is to have two characters who can carry the team. F/T/M is more of a solo character. In a party, he just levels too slowly. I found even F/M, Jaheira and Aerie (MC) to be frustratingly slow as I am always outmatched by enemies in terms of high levels spells, and I did not have access to really cool stuff like Timestop until Throne of Bhaal. (And that was via Imoen! Charname and Aerie are STILL stuck on lv 7 spells.)

Anyway here's my suggestion:

Ranger/Cleric: Competent fighter, provides all the buffs and protections the party needs from a Divine magic perspective.

Thief/Mage: Or just Imoen. Basically focus on Find Traps and Open locks so u don't need another dedicated thief. Also if it's not Imoen, this character can quickly obtain high level spells, and provide the magic protection penetration spells u need like Ruby Ray, Pierce Magic and Breach.

Everyone else can use simpler classes like Cavalier, Barbarian, Archer, etc... basically point and attack.
  • caliduscalidus Member Posts: 10
    I messed around with Ranger/Cleric last night, and man... they sure are powerful. Only thing is, I think we are already going to have at least one cleric, plus I sort of have the idea of using bows/archery in my head ;)

If we have someone pick a mage, then I suppose I could go Fighter/Thief or Fighter->Thief.
  • ryuken87ryuken87 Member Posts: 563
    I think either you or your friend who knows the game needs to be the main arcane caster as that character will be the tactical key. It will be potentially the most powerful character, but it needs someone who half knows what they're doing to prevent it being the worst.

If you're girlfriends really want to be cleric/cleric/druid then as nice as R/C is you only have three slots left to cover the bases. I wouldn't normally recommend a F/M/T in a large party but in this situation I think it's suitable, then have a pure caster and probably a pure warrior. A F/M/T will have enough skills to cover locks and traps from the start and you can (slowly) expand from there. If you could persuade one of your girlfriends to go F/C that would certainly help a bit.

I'd suggest giving them stuff that is sturdy without having to do much micromanagement such as paladins and shorty warriors (or shorty warrior multiclasses) which will have high HP and good saves so even if you don't have the right buffs theres a good chance you'll be ok anyway.
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    Maybe one of them wants to be a ranger/cleric? It's very straightforward and easy to pick up, and I fear a pure cleric might become dull to play at the later levels. In fact, if they're up for it I'd multiclass all the divine casters. Fighter/druid, ranger/cleric, fighter/cleric. Maaaybe cleric/mage.

For you I'd suggest a F/M and have someone else do a F/T, or the other way around. Or if you're confident with your magic, a sorcerer... but you'll need to bind a lot of keys to make it work smoothly in multiplayer. I think fighter parties generally work better when playing with friends.
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    Agree massively with @ryuken87, a well used arcane caster will cover a lot of gaps and can win many battles single handed. A badly used Mage is just Rod of Resurection fodder...
    If you're prepared to do a bg1 prepped import, you could always throw in some fighter (Kensai7 ftw) levels as a dual.

Ranger/Cleric is powerful, but can be more easily used by a newb with a few pointers to good self-buffs.
  • RealReal Member Posts: 68
    I also agree that arcane caster is the way to go for da vets. Horror, chaos, mass invisibility, haste etc etc will make your party do better in general, without stealing too much of the spotlight (and thus, possibily removing the fun factor for the newbs). Also, fireball, deathtrap and other early aoe spells may be amusing in MP play as everyone will be trying to dodge it. With three clerics, death is tolerable (and perhaps even amusing sometimes). Sorcerer may be a solid choice here, if you know what spells to take since it saves you the trouble of trying to find scrolls.

Alternatively, a tank like dwarven defender, berserker or barbarian may be useful as well, since you can at least guarantee, that you won't be stunned/mazed/charmed/confused/etc and stand there taking the hits while the newbs cast their spells. Tanking with an arcane caster is also possible here at higher levels.

Personally, I wouldn't use F/M/Ts. A mage can do almost everything a thief can do. While you may get access to HLAs from all three pools, for a MP play, you would probably be more concerned about early-middle game rather than ToB. If you really want to play a hybrid, I would recommend F/M or F/T for faster progression and in the case of the former, earlier access to higher level spells.

While it may appear somewhat redundant, I think clerics are solid choices for beginners. While they may not have the APR of fighters (although some cleric kits may improve on this) or the offensiveness of mages, their ability to wear heavy armor means they'll at least be able to survive and their spells means that they are more interesting than just mere point and click fighters. Equally viable alternatives would be for them to use multiclass clerics although this comes at the cost of delayed access to higher level spells.

Druids are also be an interesting choice for a beginner, depending on the kits used. Avenger may provide additional versatility, totemic may give you some good early summons and shapeshifting may be interesting for beginner to use once they are down on all their spells.

Overall, I wouldn't worry too much about party balance. Having an unbalanced party may be equally enjoyable, if not more.
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    For your friends new to the game I second @nano's suggestion to multiclass the lot of them with a bit of fighter. A fighter/cleric is a lot more forgiving to a new player than a pure cleric. Ditto for Fighter/Druids. The extra HP and melee presence goes a long way.

While they're not always the best powergaming option they mean new players can mess around a bit in melee without getting stomped on as a new player with a pure druid often will.