Skip to content

What is the deal with Kazgaroth Claw?

LathlaerLathlaer Member Posts: 475
What the title says. It seems that everyone and their grandmother uses this item and I just can't help but wonder why. It gives you +1 AC (mostly meaningless), gimps your Death saving throw and gives some bonus to others in return. Oh, and it lowers your Con score.

Not that great if you ask me - am I missing something?
Post edited by Lathlaer on

Comments

• KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    I guess it's just that there are not that many good rings in BG1 or 2...
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    Well, it's terrible if you're in the 16+ CON range, as the bonuses certainly aren't worth that loss. But at 14 CON and lower, the penalty is meaningless except when calculating fatigue accumulation over particularly long adventures. Overall, the +1 AC and savings bonuses are excellent when not paired with a tangible HP penalty, and the ring is also equip-able when wearing magical armor, unlike regular rings of protection.
  • DungeonnoobDungeonnoob Member Posts: 315
    Its like cloak of displacement and gives blurry effects don't it? *spoiler?*
  • LathlaerLathlaer Member Posts: 475
    Well yeah but from the frequency I've been reading about people using it one would've wondered if it's the next Ring of Gaxx or something :D
    i don't think its worth it in BG1, unless u are poison immune.
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    Foer a low-con char, there is not much of a downside, so there's really no reason not to use it. I always put it on my Mage.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    Its worth it for mages (Xzar, Quayle, or Neera would be the best for this) if you don't want them to have to worry as much about ranged attacks. It doesn't stack with blur but it frees up a spell slot for them. Since most offensive spells cast against you in BG1 involve a saving throw vs spells its definitely worth using.
    What is saves meh mine chars fail every time no matter what class i play heehee
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    I don't know about common, it seems like most people opt to take the helm of balduran instead of the claw. It does help with getting your saves and missile AC low to the point where nothing can hurt you.

Does anyone use the horn of kazgoroth?
  • LathlaerLathlaer Member Posts: 475
    edited December 2013
    Helm of Balduran is one of the reasons I use custom sprites from EE Keeper. Currently my Druid looks like Lavok - very impressive robe (better than any other in the game), majestic looks and, more importantly, you can put whatever you want on his head and it doesn't change his appearance. So no ridiculous horns :D

Though why would this avatar be called 'hula wizard' is beyond me.
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    I think the benefits outweigh the costs if you put "The Claw" on the appropriate character.
    Benefits:
    +1 bonus to AC
    +3 bonus to all saves except for Death/Poison/Paralyzation
    +4 bonus to AC vs. missiles

Costs:
    -4 penalty to saves vs. Death/Poison/Paralyzation
    -2 to CON score
    As @RedWizard said, you don't want to put it on a character with 15 or better CON. Keeping the wearer away from spiders (unless you have Protection from Poison scrolls or Albruin) and ghouls/ghasts (unless protected with Free Action) is wise, which I why I usually give the claw to Dorn or Shar-Teel, as they can stand back and use their crossbows while someone else (preferably a shorty with CON bonuses) goes into melee.

Spider's Bane or the Ring of Free Action take care of Paralyzation worries and Albruin makes its wielder immune to poison. Other items of protection (rings, cloaks, or amulets) take the edge off of the saving throw penalty, and there is a necklace in BG2 that gives a substantial bonus to saves vs. Death.

Having used it from BGEE through TOB, I find that it definitely makes a difference. Overall, I think the tradeoff in terms of bonuses vs. penalties is worth it.

@nano I never use the Horn. I haven't found many justifications to use it and incur the HP loss for its extremely short duration.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    edited December 2013
    Yea I never use the Horn. I guess it could be useful if you wanted 18 seconds of web and horror immunity. Especially for a fighter character (who the HP loss isn't as significant for).
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    Yeah, if it wasn't so damn expensive I think the horn would be pretty useful. It shuts down the horror/sleep and command/hold person casters which are pretty common early on. As it is, though, there are way cheaper ways to protect yourself.