Skip to content

Mysterious slowdowns

Every few seconds the game slows down terribly. This started happening after patch 1.2. The same issue is with BG2 EE. Any ideas how I could fix this?
CrevsDaak

Comments

• JakelJakel Member Posts: 8
    I have the same problem and can´t find out why. I have an Laptop with Intel grapcih card, but it works fine with BG1, are anybody else having the same problems?
  • yaballayaballa Member Posts: 41
    I also run on laptop but I have an ATI card.
  • chiasmchiasm Member Posts: 23
    I just downloaded the game last night and the game is pretty much unplayable. After about 2-3 minutes everything slows to a crawl and it can take a full minute just to get my characters to move across a room. Restarting the game fixes thing but it will slow down again after just 2-3 minutes. I was able to play BGI Enhanced without any problems.

I have a HP a6620f with an NVIDIA GeForce 8400GS, 4.0 GB RAM, 2.50 Ghz processer.
  • EmilAmundsenEmilAmundsen Member Posts: 12
    I have a similar problem, but instead of a stable reduced framerate (which I interpret your explanation to mean), I have frequent micro freezes. I didn't play bgee since release so I don't know if it's v1.2.0 specific.
    I've explaned the problem I experience here:
    http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/25189/bgee-v1-2-0-works-fine-then-suddenly-starts-freezing-up#latest

Is it the same you guys are experiencing or just similar?
  • IllydthIllydth Member, Developer Posts: 1,641
    edited November 2013
    Is this still happening with BG2:EE with the most recent patch downloaded? I think one was released like yesterday or the day before.

Have you all tried starting a brand new game to see if the issue persists? Keep in mind several of the issues fixed in BG2:EE 1.2 (though probably not the ones causing a random slowdown) only are fixed upon a new game being started.
    For my part, several and only new games.
    I don't have a license for bg2ee yet.
    Illydth said:

Is this still happening with BG2:EE with the most recent patch downloaded? I think one was released like yesterday or the day before.

Have you all tried starting a brand new game to see if the issue persists? Keep in mind several of the issues fixed in BG2:EE 1.2 (though probably not the ones causing a random slowdown) only are fixed upon a new game being started.

I just downloaded mine on Thursday night, after the patch had been released, so I'm assuming the patch was included in the download. The game doesn't ask me to update with patch anywhere. My slowdown was immediate from the start in a brand new game. I had barely just freed Minsc from his cage when the first slowdown started.
  • IllydthIllydth Member, Developer Posts: 1,641
    edited November 2013
    @EmilAmundsen: Am I to understand your issue with with BG:EE and not BG2:EE? And @chiasm: You are seeing the same issues with BG2:EE? Or is yours BG:EE as well?

According to the posts here it seems each game is behaving the same way? Can we confirm that?

From http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/25411/what-is-the-best-os-for-bgee-and-bg2ee

@EmilAmundsen: If you do, in fact, have the opportunity and capability to install a fresh copy of win 7 into a virtual machine to see if that corrects the issues, I'd be VERY interested in hearing what the results are. That won't completely solve things, in that VMWare or VBox's hypervisor will obfuscate actual drivers to the OS Install, but it DOES tell us whether there is a physical hardware incompatibility and it also tells us whether this is driver related or not, so the test would be excellent in helping with the diagnosis.

To be clear, if the issue does happen, the likelyhood is either Hardware or Game related. If the issue doesn't occur the likelyhood is driver or other supporting software related.
    Illydth said:

@EmilAmundsen: Am I to understand your issue with with BG:EE and not BG2:EE? And @chiasm: You are seeing the same issues with BG2:EE? Or is yours BG:EE as well?

According to the posts here it seems each game is behaving the same way? Can we confirm that?

From http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/25411/what-is-the-best-os-for-bgee-and-bg2ee

@EmilAmundsen: If you do, in fact, have the opportunity and capability to install a fresh copy of win 7 into a virtual machine to see if that corrects the issues, I'd be VERY interested in hearing what the results are. That won't completely solve things, in that VMWare or VBox's hypervisor will obfuscate actual drivers to the OS Install, but it DOES tell us whether there is a physical hardware incompatibility and it also tells us whether this is driver related or not, so the test would be excellent in helping with the diagnosis.

To be clear, if the issue does happen, the likelyhood is either Hardware or Game related. If the issue doesn't occur the likelyhood is driver or other supporting software related.

Its only on BG2 EE for me. I downloaded BG1 EE a year ago right after it came out on this same computer and it played fine. I have not played BG1 since finishing it sometime last December but it was working fine then.

I can't pinpoint the slowdowns to any cause in the game. It happens if I'm playing and if I pause and walk away it will be slowed down when I come back. Exiting the game and waiting about two minutes fixes the problem whereas if I immediately go back into the game it will still be lagging. Whatever the issue it takes a couple of minutes to clear up between plays.
  • JakelJakel Member Posts: 8
    If i remove the HUD by pressing "H" the slowdowns disapear, very strange, but really nice
    I can confirm that the new GUI is the cause of slowdowns for me too. Hiding it resolves the slowdowns.
    edited November 2013
    Pressing H and hiding the HUD isn't helping me. The game still lags. Also I should clarify, as my earlier comments might have been misleading, its the entire game that slows not just the characters walking. Moving the mouse across the screen lags, the characters lag, the events on screen lag making watching a battle sort of like a slow motion scene in the Matrix, etc.

I really want the game as I loved the original but its next to unplayable right now since I can only play in 2-3 minute stretches before having to quit, wait, and then go back in. If the problem isn't resolved are their refund options?
  • hobsyhobsy Member Posts: 4
    i only slow down when there is alot going on at once, or whenever a cloud effect spell is up.
    Is it possible to redownload the game onto a different computer? I have a laptop, besides my PC that its unplayable on, and I do really want to play the EE version of the game so since its linked to an email can I do this without having to pay again?
    chiasm said:

Is it possible to redownload the game onto a different computer?

Yes. :)

edited November 2013
    So it seems our problems are semi-related under the theme "bug(s) that make the game slow down or stop".

For my part, I installed another win7 on a different drive and the game have ran without problems for me for the last 12 hours. I refrained from updating the .net framework 4.5 files, since updating those were the start of my problems anyway. When I'm through with bgee and bg2ee, I'll update those and see if the problems arise again.

The problem of course persist on my prime win7 installation, even after removing the updates that heralded my bgee "stuttering".

Again for my part, this shows that hardware alone is less likely to be the cause.
    I downloaded the game to a laptop and its running fine so the problem is definitely related to my hardware on my PC which again ran BG1 EE just fine. I'm happy I can play it but playing it on my laptop is like going from watching a movie on a 50 inch TV to watching it on a smartphone so I do hope a cause / fix can be found for the slowdown.
    So is there any progress on fixing the slowdowns?
  • enneractenneract Member Posts: 187
    I also have this issue, I've had it since beta, in fact.
    Beuller? Beuller? Any progress?
    I'm waiting for the patch at the moment because I don't want to play the game without GUI. The GUI causes these slowdowns for me so I have to turn it off to avoid slowdowns. I'm suspecting something is off with the bottom bar which became transparent. Transparency is known to slow things down.
  • shadedenmityshadedenmity Member Posts: 11
    Hey guys, I think I have finally figured out the whole lag thing. I am running Gateway AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6000 + 3 ghz. 2942 MB of ram, Windows Vista 32 bit, and NVidia Geforce 6150 SE nForce 430. I have had the worst time with the game lagging and I have tried EVERYTHING except something VERY basic. I have even tried editing the .ini file to now avail, but it seems lowering the res was my only option and now the game works great. I can sacrifice a little bit for this amazing game.

Go to your resolution settings for your monitor and change it to 800x600. Yes, the graphics aren't the best but now the game works great. So, if running Windows VISTA, right click on desktop, choose personalize, click on display settings, slide the resolution all the way to the left. Last but not least, right click on your BG2.exe file and click on compatibility and then choose to run in windows 98/me mode. Now i am playing the game with zero lag. Hope this is some help. I will spread this around to the other posts