Skip to content

Planescape Torment - Source code lost

NimzNimz Member Posts: 44
I read on a forum somewhere that the source code for Planescape: Torment had been lost by black Isle

This would spell the end to any hope of an Enhanced Edition

Can anyone confirm / discredit this?

Comments

• immagikmanimmagikman Member Posts: 664
    Same thing Happened with The Ultima7 part a and b .....I do NOT understand how this can happen...Hell send me your source code Ill put it on a disk and keep it safe :P
    Tr_ond
  • Tr_ondTr_ond Member Posts: 496
    Even a rumour of such a ting makes me sad in my pants.
  • NWN_babaYagaNWN_babaYaga Member Posts: 732
    edited August 2012
    If this is true someone in the business was truly miscast you know! Even i have my original modsources from back to 2001 on a cd...
    immagikmanTr_ond
  • WoldanWoldan Member Posts: 41
    Same thing happened with the ''dark engine'' of Looking Glass' Thief dark project & Thief the metal age. Source code lost. How original....
  • Tr_ondTr_ond Member Posts: 496
    What i`ve wanted for years and years are HD-remakes of bg1&2, iwd 1&2, ps:t, and fallout 1&2.
    Luckily we`re getting EE`s with bugfixes and stuff for a few classics now, rather than FPS versions.
    Except in the case of Fallout, X-Com and Syndicate. Grrr
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited August 2012
    I just assumed the source codes were stored on a golden disk somewhere in the depths of biowares/whomevers head office.

Like a Beast Wars style golden disk (and if you understand watched that show when you were younger kudos).
    Syntia13
  • StrangeCatStrangeCat Member Posts: 39
    Don't listen to rumors. Even Feargus Urquhart was talking about doing a second one.
  • SceptenarSceptenar Member Posts: 606
    I suggest you go back to the forum you read it on and ask for a source.
  • StrangeCatStrangeCat Member Posts: 39

I haz a sad nao. I never played Torment, was hoping that the Enhanced Edition would be my first time playing it :'(

Hey you should play Torment now. You can purchase it on GOG for only 10 dollars. add the new mods
    that fix the bugs and add new content. (a game to play while you wait for BG EE)
    It was great game I just couldn't stand the ending. I played it when it came out which was quite a while ago.

GodKaiserHell
  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428
    NOOOOOOO!D:
    NWN_babaYaga
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Let's all be honest here. We don't need the game's source code. Just its script :)
    alnair
  • SchneidendSchneidend Member Posts: 3,190

I haz a sad nao. I never played Torment, was hoping that the Enhanced Edition would be my first time playing it :'(

This. Never got a chance to play Torment. By the time I'd even heard of it, when Lionheart and Icewinde Dale II were on their way, no store was carrying Torment.

Though, the idea of The Nameless One being a specific person that can't be an elf, dwarf, or whatever with a color palette of my choosing is rather off-putting.
  • drawnacroldrawnacrol Member Posts: 253
    Thats a shame. I've always wondered how you use the source code. Is it on an old computer up in someones attic or were the computers wiped and sold when a company shuts.
    edited August 2012

Though, the idea of The Nameless One being a specific person that can't be an elf, dwarf, or whatever with a color palette of my choosing is rather off-putting.

The gameplay is incredibly forgettable.
    However, the story is one of the strongest arguments against the notion that games cannot be art.
    You should treat it more as a visual novel - it is brilliant in it's entirity. Not a single joinable npc is anything less than fascinating either. Something as mundane as a dwarf or elf would look extremely out of place in the planescape setting too.
    Remember, you can easily beat the entire game only having to fight 2 battles, and one is durin the tutorial at the very start. The other is *not* the endboss.
    Syntia13
  • shawneshawne Member Posts: 3,239
    Is that a real obstacle, though? BG:EE's coming along just fine despite the lost assets that couldn't be recovered...
  • NimzNimz Member Posts: 44
    edited August 2012
    shawne said:

Is that a real obstacle, though? BG:EE's coming along just fine despite the lost assets that couldn't be recovered...

Of course it is, the BG lost assets were purely graphical, so the current graphics could not be made HD.
    Having no source code means having no game!
    ajwz said:

However, the story is one of the strongest arguments against the notion that games cannot be art.
    You should treat it more as a visual novel - it is brilliant in it's entirity. Not a single joinable npc is anything less than fascinating either. Something as mundane as a dwarf or elf would look extremely out of place in the planescape setting too.
    Remember, you can easily beat the entire game only having to fight 2 battles, and one is durin the tutorial at the very start. The other is *not* the endboss.
    But there's tons of elves and dwarves in the Planescape setting, and isn't the Nameless One human?
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    edited August 2012
    To tell you the truth, I never really cared for Torment. It tried it after it came out, after I played through BG and didn't quite care for it.

ajwz said:

But there's tons of elves and dwarves in the Planescape setting, and isn't the Nameless One human?
    Nameless one's race is never actually specified.
    Most people you meet in sigil, or the outlands who are native (have not arrived via a portal from another plane or setting) is a petitioner, demon (or halfbreed), devil (or halfbreed), or celestial (or halfbreed)
  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428
    The journal will never be updated anymore. ;'(
    ajwz said:

Most people you meet in sigil, or the outlands who are native (have not arrived via a portal from another plane or setting) is a petitioner, demon (or halfbreed), devil (or halfbreed), or celestial (or halfbreed)

Aren't petitioners typically the natural races or planar variants thereof? What about githyanki, githzerai, and genasi?

ajwz said:

Aren't petitioners typically the natural races or planar variants thereof? What about githyanki, githzerai, and genasi?
    githyanki and githzerai are native to the plane of limbo; genasi - yes although they are not that common full stop
    edited August 2012
    ajwz said:

githyanki and githzerai are native to the plane of limbo; genasi - yes although they are not that common full stop

That would be the key word, then. Plane. They're from the plane of limbo. That's a plane, and can therefore presumably be 'scaped.
  • ZeckulZeckul Member Posts: 1,036
    Even if that's the case it doesn't preclude making an EE, it'd just be more challenging. AFAIK GemRB runs PS:T pretty well so it's definitely possible to re-implement the game from scratch.
  • Metal_HurlantMetal_Hurlant Member Posts: 324
    @TrentOster I think you've just saved half the community a heart attack. :)
    Syntia13ThePlanarTraveler

Hmm. We have a Planescape.zip file here that seems to have a bunch of source codey stuff in it ;-)

-Trent

Now just right-click and select "Delete" to become the greatest troll of all time.
    JarlaxleThePlanarTraveler
  • shout27shout27 Member Posts: 89

Hmm. We have a Planescape.zip file here that seems to have a bunch of source codey stuff in it ;-)

-Trent

Now just right-click and select "Delete" to become the greatest troll of all time.
    Alfred said it best, some people just want to watch the world burn.

ThePlanarTraveler
  • ZeckulZeckul Member Posts: 1,036
    @TrentOster What about the source art? Same story as for BG or no?

Nimz