Skip to content

Question about override folder

Am I correct to assume that weidu mods only add stuff there and change nothing else ? So deleting the contents of the override folder will turn the game back to the vanilla installation ?

Because I intend to do that after I finish SoA so I can install a couple of ToB mods.

Comments

• kryptixkryptix Member Posts: 741
    I'm not sure this is the case for all mods but most have uninstallers...
  • SkaffenSkaffen Member Posts: 709
    No, if it was that simple weidu wouldn't be needed at all...
  • AnotherLifeAnotherLife Member Posts: 115
    Weird, other games like Skyrim and World of Tanks use an override folder and keep the original files intact. Guess I'd better do a clean reinstall before starting ToB.
  • BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968

Because I intend to do that after I finish SoA so I can install a couple of ToB mods.

I don't see why you would need to do that, they shouldn't interfere with each other.

• AnotherLifeAnotherLife Member Posts: 115
    Don't some mods affect both games ? Like Unfinished Business ?
  • MordeusMordeus Member Posts: 460
    The most basic of Weidu mods don't just add files to the override folder but they also alter the dialog.tlk file. The dialog.tlk file is what holds the game's strings (which are the various names of spells, items, characters, etc... plus lines of dialog, etc...). For a game like Baldur's Gate which is reliant on text, the dialog.tlk is vital.

So if you were to install a mod but uninstall it by simply removing files from the override folder, you would end up with a dialog.tlk file that has been altered. So you risk having names or dialog that are all mixed up or missing.

That's why there is a backup folder in each Weidu mod that holds all the mod's changes. So when you uninstall via the Weidu program, it organizes things back to how it was prior. So when you install multiple Weidu mods in a certain order, you should try to uninstall by running the same process in reverse.

There's probably some basic mods out there that you can get away by just deleting the contents of the override folder but it's extremely rare to have one that doesn't try to alter or add new strings.

You might get away with deleting the contents of the override folder if you have kept a clean copy of the dialog.tlk file. Of which you then copy in place of the modified one. That should remove the majority of the mods content but there is a possibility that one of the mods goes further in modifying something else. It's just safer to uninstall using the weidu program for each installed mod.
  • BelanosBelanos Member Posts: 968

Don't some mods affect both games ? Like Unfinished Business ?

If it does, it's not going to have any effect until you get into the ToB content. All that mod does is restore some quests that were cut in the original release, and those quest won't trigger unless the time is appropriate. It's not going to trigger a ToB quest while you're still in the SoA portion for example. I can't think of any mod where you have to worry about removing it just to continue on in the expansion. They generally don't work that way.