Skip to content

#7388 [GRAPHICS] - Alt-f4 doesn't close the game properly

nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
edited December 2013 in BGII:EE Bugs (v1.2.2030)
When I try to close the game via alt-f4, the "Boo" message box pops up behind the game window so I can't click on it. Alt tabbing does not work - the mouse cursor changes as if I'm hovering over a different window but the game window is still rendered over everything so I can't see where I'm clicking. It looks like a graphics issue so if it helps I'm using an ATI laptop card.

I tried using the integrated graphics card on my laptop and when I alt-f4, the game window minimizes properly but the "Boo" message box appears behind all the other stuff rather than on top. It does allow me to close the game at least whereas I can't see anything in the first scenario.
Post edited by Illydth on

Comments

• IllydthIllydth Member, Developer Posts: 1,641
    So the work around is to alt-f4 and then Ctrl-Alt-Del. This will pull up the windows screen that allows you to log off, lock, switch user, etc. When you click "cancel" on that screen it will bring you back to your desktop not the game...and at that point you'll have the "Boo will miss you" window up which you can click to shutdown the game.

Will bug the alt-f4 interaction.
    nano
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    Oh thanks, that works for me. I guess it's a known issue then? Thanks for logging it.
    Bug Reported as bug 7388
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    In my system (in fullscreen), when i get the popup window hiding, i can alt-tab to it and also can switch to the popup via the tray, on Win XP. Did you experience/repro the bug on Win 7?
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    Yup, I'm on 7.
    edited January 2014
    @Avenger_teambg: In Win 7 you cannot Alt-Tab to the "Boo.." screen. It's behind the main interface and part of the game (not it's own window it seems) so alt-tab will not bring you to it. That's what the ctrl-alt-del trick is for...it minimizes the game, and thus makes the "Boo" window appear.

Keep in mind Win7+ will "stack" all open windows associated with the same application into one program stack. If you can GET TO the task bar, you can hover over the game and click on the open "Boo" window, but it is not separated from the BG2 application window stack on the task bar. Alt-Tab in win 7 only switches between STACKS, not within a stack.

And getting to the task bar with the game interface up and active requires you to page out to something else. I don't think I tried having, like, a chrome window open and alt-tabbing to it first.