Skip to content

Fire Storm vs Storm of Vengeance (Druid)

I have one slot for 7th level open (having 1x Nature's Beauty, 1x Creeping Doom, 1x Implosion, 2x Greater Elemental Summoning) and I am torn between Storm of Vengeance and Fire Storm.

On the one hand, Storm of Vengeance is party-friendly and has a tiny bit better casting time (8 vs. 9). On the other hand, Fire Storm deals significantly more damage (currently 2d8+18 vs. 3d6) and has one round longer duration. And having 127 fire resistance, I can stand in the middle (although I can't cast any spells which is absurd).

Any thoughts? Or maybe you take other spells altogether?

Comments

• Durlag_ThunderaxeDurlag_Thunderaxe Member Posts: 71
    I prefer storm of vengeance. A lot of enemies got fire resistance, whereas Storm of Vengeance slowly ticks a little bit of damage every round whilst it is in place, which I think can disrupt some powerful spell casters.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited January 2014
    I'd go with Earthquake. Not for its damage but because the first quake is a -6 to save against and it can knock enemies out for 4 rounds.
    JonelethIrenicusShikao
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    I like SoV.
  • SkaffenSkaffen Member Posts: 709
    Firestorm ignores magic resistance - not sure about SoV since I never take it :)
  • simplessimples Member Posts: 540
    i always go party-friendly, so sov
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Skaffen said:

Firestorm ignores magic resistance - not sure about SoV since I never take it :)

SoV doesn't.
  • LathlaerLathlaer Member Posts: 475
    edited January 2014
    So the party-friendliness must be a real no-brainer if SoV allows both save and MR while FR doesn't allow save and bypasses MR and deals tons of more damage.

I used SoV for few fights - Irenicus included - and I'm very satisfied though. It helps to cast it middle of the battle and not to worry that your summons turn against you (seriously - if I don't deal any fire damage to fire elemental, why does it turn against me? o_O).
  • SporvanSporvan Member Posts: 31
    edited January 2014
    Well it's pretty fun to get your Fire resistance (Shapeshift Fire Elemental) to immune and then cast a Firestorm and kite enemies in it with Boots of the Cheetah. Makes some battles a breeze.

Storm of Vengeance I used more as an alternative way to disrupt spellcasting on high Magic Resistance enemies. The damage it does isn't fantastic.