Skip to content

[BG2/ToB] Missing sequences in BAM files CEFW4A6 and CEMW4A6 (0813)

NathanNathan Member Posts: 1,007
edited August 2012 in Fixed
This discussion was created from comments split from... another thread...
Post edited by Bhryaen on

Comments

• BhryaenBhryaen Member Posts: 2,874
    edited August 2012
    One thing I just noticed:
    When a female mage (Cleric-mage) is using a quarterstaff and does the thrust animation, the weapon remains visible, but the character animation vanishes during the thrust.

[SNIP]
    Post edited by Bhryaen on
  • NathanNathan Member Posts: 1,007
    Fixed (for now) by splicing in missing sequences from xxxW4A2.BAMs.

Still need to investigate if fixing the now-floating quarterstaff is easy or if that'll break everything - otherwise this will have to do as a floating quarterstaff is better than a disappearing character.
  • CuvCuv Member, Developer Posts: 2,535
    edited August 2012
    Oh man... this is up my alley, but a ton of work. You can take CEMW3A6 and recolor the pallete by hand for the missing frames... not easy, but doable. I did a bunch of this stuff for the PST animation conversions.

How many animation bams are we talking about here? Just the '4' series?
    cmorganCrevsDaak
  • WispWisp Member Posts: 1,102
    @Cuv
    So far it is 3 sequences of 14 frames in each of CEFW4A6.BAM and CEMW4A6.BAM.
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    edited August 2012
    dltcep has bam mirroring/recoloring tools. I will check if it is usable for repairing this.
  • WispWisp Member Posts: 1,102
    edited August 2012
    Nevermind.
  • CuvCuv Member, Developer Posts: 2,535
    @Avenger_teambg Looks like it might be possible to load up the cefw3a6.bam... then go to Pallete and load pallete from the cefw4a6? It has been years since I did this, cant remember if it has to be frame by frame or not. Then resave as CEFW4A6 (and CEMW4A6 respectively). The latest version of DLTCEP lets me do all this... but I am not sure it is actually changing the entire pallete.
    edited August 2012
    It changes the palette, but the pixels are wrong, not the palette.
    It is possible to steal the missing cycles from another stance, as @Nathan said. To make everything correct, one has to update the appropriate weapon anims too.

It is astounding that this bug was in ToB/IWD2 and no one noticed it yet.
    Nathan
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    Well, I personally don't melee much with my mages.
    Hilarious. Original ToB. Female elf mage using clck15/6/7.
    AndreaColombo
    @Avenger_teambg: so the animation that it looks like the staff uses is WPLQ4A6 - but, that's shared between several different character animations, is it not? Soooo... updating it would break every other quarterstaff thrust animation in those directions?

and dude, hilarious. Nobody has noticed this for over a decade somehow. Good job @Bhryaen! :D
    OMG Nathan, that is a problem :(
    Someone has to click on a lot of pixels.
    Yee. :| I'm going to try the sequences from W4A5 which is the the thrust sequence for the dagger, looks like... maybe that'll look better and the staff won't be floating quite as much.

Otherwise, sadly, I think this'll have to do for the meantime floating quarter staff or not - it'd be the lesser of two evils of the character disappearing vs having a floating weapon. Realistically speaking, piecing together the missing animation sequences or changing every other quarterstaff thrust animation is.. maybe.. not a good expenditure of time at this point. :( If only we had the original assets...!

It's kind of telling that it's been how many years and nobody noticed. (haha, still funny!)
  • BhryaenBhryaen Member Posts: 2,874
    @Nathan
    Well, nobody seems to have noticed/ cared either that halflings were illegally barred from WIS 18 at Character Gen, so... :-P
    Pfft. Halflings. Who cares about them. They're like... half people, only deserving of half respect! ;)
    AndreaColomboCrevsDaak
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,524
    @Nathan - not to mention a LOTR rip-off!

NathancmorganCrevsDaak
    Good news, everyone!

the W4A5 sequences actually work near-perfectly as a substitution. I mean, if you examine it closely you'd think, "Why would anyone poke somebody with a staff one-handed like that?" but when just playing and not checking closely it looks like nothing is out of the ordinary.

That's WAY better than twiddling every animation ever. Replacement modified BAMs will be present in the next build.
    WispcmorganCrevsDaak
    I can confirm that replacement graphics was added.
    I also can tell that I informed Erephine (if no one else did) and she promised to work on this.
    Ah, no, I didn't inform Erephine - thank you for doing so. I didn't want to impose, she's already done so much excellent work (and is still working on things..!).

I'll mark this as closed for now - I'm in contact with her and if she gets more content to me I'll happily put it in.
    Confirmed Fixed in Build 0815

Its not perfect, but if in 14 years people didn't notice a vanishing mage they won't notice this problem.
    NathanCrevsDaak
    edited August 2012
    @Bhryaen

I'm moving this one to Confirmed Fixed BG1, but I'm really wondering if we should go public with this one.

I can just see it now, droves of people that never noticed a disappearing mage will now complain about the "super noticeable" dagger thrust animation.

But since I'm sure Erephine will eventually mention it in her fixes, I guess it doesn't matter.

EDIT: Actually, someone else already moved it.
    AndreaColombo
    Heh, I see no problem with it but if you're concerned and want to make a separate public listing then just note the problem, note that it's fixed and simply note that parts of another animation were used to fix the issue.
    If this one does go public, keep my comment intact, I want to be able to point at people and go "See! I knew this would happen!"
    AndreaColombo
    edited August 2012
    Those anims are crippled in any IE where they are available: HoW, BG2, ToB and IWD2.
    I agree with Tanthalas, i would make this public only after Erephine's fix passes qa.