Skip to content

Where/What is Rasheman?

HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
What I know about D&D and Faerun is largely confined to my experiences in BG and a few wiki entries. I'd appreciate some information from a lore master of Faerun regarding the country of Rasheman, the home of the noble warrior Minsc, and his witch, Dynaheir.

Most countries in Aber-Toril seem to be derived from real-world inspirations or established fantasy lore, such as dwarves in mountain strongholds, elves in forests and islands deep in the ocean. Shou-Lung and Tu'Lung are clearly based on China, and Wa/Kozakura clearly Japan. Amn is analogous to Portugal/Spain, and Baldur's Gate quite obviously Western European. So what about Rasheman?

Minsc's bio clearly mentions the East, so at first I thought it was a minor Central Asian kingdom like the Tanguts of the 11th Century or Bactria, Fergana etc... Yet although Minsc is racially ambiguous, Dynaheir is clearly 'Black/African' in appearance. Thus is Rasheman analogous to anything at all? And if so, what?

BelgarathMTH

Comments

• EudaemoniumEudaemonium Member Posts: 3,199
    Also, since the portraits of the characters in BG were based on Bioware employees and their friends, they aren't really a good basis for speculating on regional ethnicities.
    booinyoureyesCrevsDaakKidCarnival
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    Oh thanks! So I am not so wrong afterall. Rasheman is kinda Central Asian. Bioware just chose slightly unrepresentative portraits for Minsc and Dynaheir.
    EudaemoniumCrevsDaakwoowoovoodoo
    Pretty much. Together with Thay, Impiltur and Aglarond, Rashemen is part of what is called 'The Unapproachable East', however the nations are described as highly diverse. Thay was also originally founded by wizards who fled Halruaa (which is part of the very Arabian-Nights-based South), which is why they have a more Egyptian/Middle Eastern culture/ethnicity as compared to the other nations which, like you assumed, are more Central Asian in their aspect.
    Heindrich
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    Rashemon is Russia, mon.
    If Thay is supposed to be Egypt/Persia, then it would totally make sense for Rashemen to be one of the upper -stans.

Would also explain Minsc's accent :D

Its described as a place with "harsh winters" and Minsc mentions lots of snow on multiple occasions, so Upper Eurasia seems the most likely candidate.
    CrevsDaak
    I also feel compelled to note that canonically Rashemaar warriors are meant to be short and stocky types. So basically nothing about Minsc remotely resembles lore XD
    Are hamsters native to Uzbekistan? This can be the answer to all our questions.
    FredjoCrevsDaaklolienwoowoovoodoo
  • DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    But boo is from space.
    booinyoureyesCrevsDaak

But boo is from space.

Finally! One who understands
    CrevsDaakWiggleslolien
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155

But boo is from space.

Ahh you're a smart one, I understand now!
    booinyoureyesFredjowoowoovoodoo
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    edited December 2013
    CrevsDaak said:

But boo is from space.

Actually, Minsc purchased boo from a traveling merchant on his way to the sword coast.
    http://web.archive.org/web/20050311060923/http://archive.gamespy.com/interviews/october00/minsc/index.shtm

Also, now it makes even more since for Minsc to be a barbarian, if he is from Mongolia-ish place, and with the rage ability.....
    CrevsDaak
    meagloth said:

CrevsDaak said:

But boo is from space.

Actually, Minsc purchased boo from a traveling merchant on his way to the sword coast.
    http://web.archive.org/web/20050311060923/http://archive.gamespy.com/interviews/october00/minsc/index.shtm

Also, now it makes even more since for Minsc to be a barbarian, if he is from Mongolia-ish place, and with the rage ability.....
    Either that or Minsc is a muscular Borat. Very nice!
    CrevsDaak
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    Rashemen is south of Thay, and the Red Wizards constantly want to conquer it. They are only kept out by the hathran/wychlaran and the vremyonni, who are male spell casters who live lives of extreme recluses.

http://www.realmshelps.net/faerun/rashemen/people.shtml
    CrevsDaakelminster
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    I suggest you to play "Neverwinter Night 2: Mask of the Betrayer" expansion set, to improve your knowledge in Rashemen, cos this game happens exactly in Rashemen (mostly) and also is a great game to play.
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    LadyRhian said:

Rashemen is south of Thay, and the Red Wizards constantly want to conquer it. They are only kept out by the hathran/wychlaran and the vremyonni, who are male spell casters who live lives of extreme recluses.

http://www.realmshelps.net/faerun/rashemen/people.shtml

*North

:P
    elminster
    @Scriver Ugh, yes, you are correct. :P
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    Soooo Minsc isn't from Minsk then?!
    booinyoureyes
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    So much for my Belarusian hamster dealership...
    booinyoureyes
    @abacus If you go to Spelljammer, Giant Space Hamsters (In giant hamster wheels) power the Gnomes Spelljamming Hammerships. If you want Hamsterocracy, you're gonna have to head there.
    CrevsDaakbooinyoureyesabacus
    So Spelljamer is like the Valhalla for brave hamster warriors and Rashemen Berserkers
    @booinyoureyes More like "Vampirates" ;)
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155

So Spelljamer is like the Valhalla for brave hamster warriors and Rashemen Berserkers

I'm running with a female fighter PC named Valhalla.
    Yeah, she's a Valkyrie.
    LadyRhian said:

@booinyoureyes More like "Vampirates" ;)

@LadyRhian Vampirates? Saemon should have known better than to ally with Bodhi :)
    @booinyoureyes That's the actual name of a Young Adult book series at the library where I work. It's a seven book series.
    I've seen it before on bookstore shelves. I remember thinking the cover was interesting, though the name obviously stood out the most