Skip to content

Casting arcane magic does not cause Cowled Wizards to bother you

XzarXzar Member Posts: 215
edited November 2013 in Not An Issue
So here I am, casting it everywhere in Alkathla, and so far no one bugged me.
Post edited by Jalily on

Comments

• JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    They won't bug you if you cast indoors.
  • XzarXzar Member Posts: 215
    Jalily said:

They won't bug you if you cast indoors.

I know, but i'm casting outdoors!

They won't bother you in those encounter zones between districts either. Where are you casting?
    Jalily said:

They won't bother you in those encounter zones between districts either. Where are you casting?

Heh, no offense, but why do you presume i'm a BG noob? Its my 5 playthrough or so, and I know very well which areas should trigger Cowled Wizards. I'm casting at : Waukeens Promenade outdoors, Slums outdoors, Temple district outdoors, etc.

• sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    that is odd, because in my play through I killed off all the cowled wizards, maybe what happened was you cast haste the first time, and made your party run away, and because cowled buddy didn't get the chance to speak to you the first time, the trigger doesn't go off every time after?
    sarevok57 said:

that is odd, because in my play through I killed off all the cowled wizards, maybe what happened was you cast haste the first time, and made your party run away, and because cowled buddy didn't get the chance to speak to you the first time, the trigger doesn't go off every time after?

Well, I never saw anybody to run away from. Maybe they spawned somewhere so far away that I never saw them? Or, it could be related to that spawn problem that was fixed in last patch?

Xzar said:

Jalily said:

Heh, no offense, but why do you presume i'm a BG noob? Its my 5 playthrough or so, and I know very well which areas should trigger Cowled Wizards. I'm casting at : Waukeens Promenade outdoors, Slums outdoors, Temple district outdoors, etc.
    I didn't presume you were a noob. The only information you gave was "Athkatla," so I tried to eliminate the obvious culprits first.

I just tested it by casting Armor in those locations, and a Cowled Wizard warns me every time.
    Jalily said:

Xzar said:

Jalily said:

I didn't presume you were a noob. The only information you gave was "Athkatla," so I tried to eliminate the obvious culprits first.

I just tested it by casting Armor in those locations, and a Cowled Wizard warns me every time.
    Can you check my save then?
    According to your save, you've paid the Wizards for a magic license.
    Jalily said:

According to your save, you've paid the Wizards for a magic license.

I did not, I assure you :) I talked to Tolgerias and refused his offer.

Hm. Did you at one point have a reputation in the 1-3 range? The Wizards also ignore you if this happens.
    Jalily said:

Hm. Did you at one point have a reputation in the 1-3 range? The Wizards also ignore you if this happens.

Thats a possibility... I think my lowest was 4, but i'm not 100% sure.

• SmilgeSmilge Member Posts: 104
    edited November 2013
    Tolgerias is not the one that gives out the magic license; he is the NPC for Valygar's quest which is unrelated to the magic license. If your saved game thinks you paid for a license and you didn't, you can undo it with:

CLUAConsole: SetGlobal("BribedCowled", "GLOBAL", 0)

One other possibility besides the low reputation is that you own the Planar Sphere, which will also cause the Cowled Wizards to leave you alone. But as you said you refused Tolgerias this is unlikely to be the case in your game.
  • PonePone Member Posts: 3
    Have you fought the named wizard who cast timestop etc? If you have, after that they wont bother you anymore. And it might be that this triggers the license pay in the savefile.
  • snackattacksnackattack Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2014
    I'm trying to battle the cowled wizards but they are not showing up. According to the earlier responses in this thread, this is probably because I just got the sphere, or because I previously had a reputation of 2.

However, if this is in fact what happened, seems like this should be considered a bug. The dialogue after you get the sphere says the wizards should keep on attacking you...and there's no reason that previously having low reputation should cause the wizards to forget about you...

EDIT to add:
    OK, I just used shadowkeeper (EEkeeper) to change the global variable to 0 so I can fight the cowled wizards. Anyone know if killing a lot of cowled wizards might mess up the mage stronghold quests?
    Post edited by snackattack on