Skip to content

Safe storage locations?

Thinking back to when I played this game int he early 2000s, I seem to recall some spots that were safe storage for overflow gear that you wanted to hold onto but not cart around everywhere. For example, I have a poop ton of nice axes that I am carrying around, but none of my characters have an axe proficiency. However, in another six levels I plan to put points into them for my main character. So I want to store them. But I don't recall where I should/can.

So, where can I store them until then? I am looking for a container from which they won't disappear eventualy. Is there a container in the coronet? Do I need to go do my stronghold quest first?

Thanks a bunch.

MINOR SPOILER ALERT
P.S. Yes I know I could use the bag of holding, no I have not been to spell hold yet. As usual, I do almost all of the side quests before heading onwards.

Comments

• PibaroPibaro Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,989
    Every container in the game is a safe place.
    Nothing placed in a container will ever disappear.
    You can choose any one, I won't choose one inside a tavern, because you'll spend more time to get there. Pick an easy one.
  • kryptixkryptix Member Posts: 741
    I'm not sure but I think only the watchers keep ones will be available come TOB...
  • MetallomanMetalloman Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,975
    Personally in my runs I use Joia's house in the Friendly Arm Inn map in BG,
    The Lion head on the NW Waukeen's Promenade wall in SoA and the containers you find in your pocket plane in ToB.
    I abuse the use of CTRL+J while traveling to the first two locations to deposit stuff... ;p
  • DurenasDurenas Member Posts: 508
    Beware if you complete watcher's keep, it becomes sealed and you cannot re-enter.
    If you have a good thief, the best place to storage items is..... selling to a vendor (always the same one, of course).
    You'll probably never use the items you are storaging, but if you really need anything, you can easily steal (or buy) back them.
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    I reckon it makes sense - roleplay wise - to use your stronghold for any storage. People usually go for their stronghold early in order to do all the quests, and it makes sense that you'd store things in a place you feel is safe instead of some random barrel.
  • MoonsongMoonsong Member Posts: 36
    I have always used the container near where Anomen greets you in the Copper Coronet. For BG I use the one on the first floor of the Friendly Arms. I’ve never had any problems with any of the containers loosing items.
  • Dzuk5Dzuk5 Member Posts: 129
    Pibaro said:

Every container in the game is a safe place.
    Nothing placed in a container will ever disappear.
    You can choose any one, I won't choose one inside a tavern, because you'll spend more time to get there. Pick an easy one.

not alwyas safe. i mean if you put somthing to thief strnghold on 2nd flor and then get this lokation as your strnghold the item will wanish with reset of lokation. so it is safe only if you use it after you get stronghold if earlier there is chance you lose your item. nalia stronghold also;/ i lost FoA becouse of that once.

i alwys us 3 places:
    SoA-> lion head on wall Waukeen's Promenade is up adventure market
    SoA/ToB-> tent of Yakman 3 flor of watcher's keep, good place you can back here in both stage of game iven if you seald the demogorgon you only must open back door and you can always enter there
    ToB-> pocket plane chest
  • elementelement Member Posts: 833
    I use my stronghold although it sucks when I play druids as I don't think theres actually has any containers
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    BG2 - Bag of Holding
    BG1 - A barrel in Beregost at the south.
  • WanderonWanderon Member Posts: 1,418
    Be careful not to use containers in areas that "change" until after the change - for instance a favorite of mine is the table near the bar in the copper coronet but you can lose stuff if you store it there before you complete the Free Hendak quest.

I believe this is also true if you use containers in the area that will become your stronghold BEFORE it becomes your stronghold (cabin at Umar Hills etc)

I use a sack near the area where Silke hangs out in Beregost in BG1 until I get into BG City then I cart all my crap up to the two barrels outside the Elfsong where most of it remains even after I finish the game LOL
    2 bags of holding were not enough (not even close to enough).
    3 bags of holding (thanks to Hexxat) are barely enough.
    I use to have so many items.... that one day... maybe... will be useful.....
  • CorvinoCorvino Member Posts: 2,269
    I hate throwing quest items away. There are a lot that don't get automatically removed at the end of quests.

Mekrath's Mirror? He may be dead and I may be in TOB but what if I need it?
  • daemonblade1229daemonblade1229 Member Posts: 12
    Wow. Thank you all for the outpouring of knowledge. I am both astonished and grateful.
  • ReadingRamboReadingRambo Member Posts: 598
    edited January 2014
    I like the table in the Coronet next to Ungar Hilldark and Bernard. Bernard is my go-to merchant so its convienient for me.
  • kryptixkryptix Member Posts: 741

I like the table in the Coronet next to Ungar Hilldark and Bernard. Bernard is my go-to merchant so its convienient for me.

I do this even though Bernard has bad prices after a while since money isn't a huge issue. I use 3-5 containers in the cc to store stuff, one for ammo, one for gear for characters I add/drop and I'm considering adding again, and another for quest items and finally a last one for gear I might need situationally for a different quest.

I also often have one last one with a ton of spell scrolls stolen from all of the shops in athkatla to quickly get any Mage up to speed. I'll then memorize all of them to maximize exp when I get my final party keeping one copy of each at least for imoen. That's why I'm usually rocking like 4 scroll cases...