Skip to content

Pickpocket cap for Bards?

My blade is now level 24 and I've noticed that his pickpocket ability has not increased for some time (I can't recall exactly when it stopped improving, heh). It seems to be capped at 50% (which, with Dex and Race modifiers, is 70%, boosted to 90% when necessary with those helpful gloves of pickpocketing).

Since blades only receive half the regular bard pickpocketing ability, am I right in inferring that pickpocket is capped at 100% for vanilla bards (aside from ability score and race modifiers)? And that blades are capped at 50% and skalds at 25% (ouch!)?

Comments

• ThrasymachusThrasymachus Member Posts: 880
    Also, I vaguely recall having a blade with a pickpocket ability well above 100% in the original BG2, but that likely was a bug...
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited January 2014
    A human blade with 12 dexterity maxes out at level 16 with 57 (it would be 115 with a vanilla bard).
    @elminster: thanks!

However, now I'm a bit puzzled as to my 70% pickpocket ability. As a half-elf I should have a +10% to pickpockets, and with a 19 dexterity I should have another +15%. If I've reached the maximum base of 57%, those modifiers should bring it up to 82%, not 70%.

*sigh* Well, I guess I'll just fix it with EEKeeper...
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited January 2014
    Well to explain why you are getting 70

115 + 25 (half-elf racial bonus + dexterity bonus) = 140.

1/2 of 140 = 70.

Not sure why the dexterity bonus is applied before the blade's penalty but there it is :)
    Ah, okay.
    elminster said:

Not sure why the dexterity bonus is applied before the blade's penalty but there it is :)

Neither the dexterity bonus nor the race bonus should be applied before the blade penalty IMO. (The blade pickpocket percentage (50% of normal) should be independent of those 'external' modifiers, just as the lower assassin and bounty hunter thief points are.)
    I reported this as a bug, and it looks like pickpocket should work as I thought I should (i.e., bonus applied after the blade penalty):

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/28833/blade-pickpocket-ability#latest
  • KastionKastion Member Posts: 44
    Every Blade thanks you for helping them out :D