Skip to content

The difference between Intelligence & Wisdom!

2»

Comments

• BjjorickBjjorick Member Posts: 1,208
    ummm, i did watch young frankenstien and blazing saddles. those are the only two movies/books/games i have ever watched/read/played. can you make an example of those two?

yaeh not really the only, but i would love to see this one :)
  • MooseChangerPatMooseChangerPat Member Posts: 148
    Okay let me think here... I've watched those as well but since they are parodies it's especially hard since their characters aren't exactly taken all that seriously. It's tricky to come up with a character with intelligence that lacks wisdom and vice versa.

Yeah I've got nothing I can give you from those :\

But another example of poor wisdom is someone who is very gullible or easily manipulated. Both are something that can happen to a very intelligent person.
    Bjjorick
    @moosechangerpat nah, gene wilder in both cases. as dr frankenstein, he was intelligent to create the monster, but not wise enough to consider it's effects.

In blazing saddles, he was the opposite, he wasn't a smart man, but he was fast and he knew the dangers well of the weapon he carried, which is why he became a drunk, so that he wouldn't ever hurt anyone again. lol, not very smart.

anyways, do i have the basic concept you're trying to explain?
    MooseChangerPat
    Yes, thank you. That was more or less exactly what I was going for, but I couldn't readily think of the examples xD Props to you for figuring out the kind of examples I had tried to set here.
    Bjjorick
    ehhh, you already gave good examples, but i kept thinking of gene wilder in those movies, that was why i asked you if you could use them for me. i appreciate you patience with me on this.
    That's quite alright, you were at least being respectful, understanding, and not trolling me, which is better forum etiquette than I can expect from many internet users. I'm just glad I was capable of getting my point across without sounding too preachy or anything like that. Ugh, I'm having such problems trying to get across what I'm trying to say right now. ... It's another one of those instances of good wisdom but poor intelligence xD
    Bjjorick
    lol, not at all moose, and i kinda like it when people get a little preachy in the sense that they're passionate about what they say. I think alot of times people label it as that as a way of shutting the person up, but i always keep in mind the quote, if you stand for everything/nothing, you'll fall for anything.

it's deffinately alright to be passionate about what you're saying. you might offend some people along the way, but you'll also motivate many many more. :)
  • immagikmanimmagikman Member Posts: 664
    edited August 2012
    I believe the original AD&D description of Wisdom vs Intelligence was being intelligent enough to know smoking is bad for you and wise enough to stop.
  • ZafiroZafiro Member Posts: 436
    edited August 2012
    Edit: After reading all the comments, seems to me people know enough about both traits, nothing for me to add.
    Post edited by Zafiro on
    immagikman
  • SamielSamiel Member Posts: 156

what are they? Evidence d&d was created in an individualist culture. :)

The closest construct I can think of thats in vogue today is a set of models on human cognition collectively referred to as "dual process" models.

the basic idea is that cognition can be generally categorized as either "reflexive" (aka "type one")or "reflective" (type two).

Reflexive cognition is generally considered automatic, effortless, conformist, statistically blind, "fast and frugal", biased, heuristic, inflexible, sentimental etc.

Reflexive cognition is considered effortful, better with numbers and in novel situations, rational limited and so on.

But this is a gross oversimplification. For example, skill expertise is governed primarily by "type one thinking" and generally involves superior "information processing" in the domain of expertise. further, there is evidence that the way information is originally categorized/taught influences how well it's used in novel situations.

If you've ever tried to learn a new language compare comprehension in the new language with that of your first. or compare driving a car now to how it was when you first learned. You might get a sense of how limited reflection is and how nicest reflexion is.

But this doesn't really work for d &d intelligence and wisdom. Mathematical ability is considered a linchpin of "g factor"theories of intelligence (which I think are wrong btw but not relevant)

But mathematical genius is, among other things, a gift of mathematical intuition. There are simple mathematical problems that the vast majority gets wrong. I'll give you a sample but don't feel too proud if you get it right. I've primed you to reflect on it.

A surprisingly large majority of people get the following problem wrong especially when given little time to answer: "a bat and ball costs $1.10. The bat costs one dollar more than the ball. How much is each?"

Anyway there is a very small percentage of people-even among mathematicians and statisticians!-that get that question wrong. The few that get it right, especially when timed, can be considered candidates for having an unusually good mathematical intuition. But mathematical ability is supposed to be governed by intelligence and intuition by wisdom so which is it?

Also, even people that score high on an iq test can get that question wrong. And what about the iq test? Standardized math tests? we vastly underestimate the role situational factors play in our performance measurements. We tend to think of traits as fixed and innate but there is overwhelming evidence that they aren't.

If you give an math test to a room full of asian woman you can measurably influence the results of the test by asking them to write their gender (which will lower it) or their ethnicity (which will raise it). If you give an iq test to a room full of african americans they will score within the normal range unless you tell them it's an iq test!

Most traits are situational and variable at least to some degree. People can get better at taking iq tests (e.g. See the flynn effect). Even an individuals personal theory of intelligence can influence their scores (for example the scores discussed above will normalize if a developmental theory of intelligence is discussed)

It's great fun to talk about these things in a game but the real worlds is much more messy...

I have to know, because I am very very bad at maths, but does the bat cost $1.05 and the ball cost $0.5 Cents?
  • NihilusNihilus Member Posts: 192
    I believe the difference is best understood if you consider what happens when there is lack of them. After all, feeblemindedness wouldn't be mistaken for insanity, neither vice versa.
  • Roller12Roller12 Member Posts: 437
    edited August 2012
    Samiel said:

I have to know, because I am very very bad at maths, but does the bat cost $1.05 and the ball cost $0.5 Cents?

Close, but wrong. But still it takes like 10seconds to solve, its basic algebra no thinking is required.

Want to have an actual intelligence math question?

2047 = 1
    6359 = 2
    8216 = 3
    9571 = ?

edit: Its very easy to solve, guaranteed.
    edited August 2012
    @Samiel, actually, that's correct.

Here's something people might like: http://www.khanacademy.org/
    My faith in humanity is slowly disappearing. Oh who am i kidding, it was never there.
    I think my intelligence is like... a 9? And my Wisdom is like an 18 ^_^ But in all fairness, I've got a disease that effectively lowers my Strength, Constitution, Dexterity, Intelligence, and to a lesser extent Charisma. So... yeah :\
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    Roller12 said:

Samiel said:

Close, but wrong. But still it takes like 10seconds to solve, its basic algebra no thinking is required.
    I like to consider myself fairly intelligent and was the top of my year in math when I graduated but this problem makes my brain leak out of my ear.
    It should be simple but it doesn't compute! System error!

@Drugar, I have to admit, I don't know how much time ago I've first heard that trick question, and probably I would've said a wrong answer, but the thing is to either do the math - wich I'm not very good at - if you know your math; I look at it different, the wording, says the bat costs 1$ "more" than the price of the ball.
    So $0.05 for the ball and $1.05 for the bat should be correct right?
    @Drugar, indeed.
    But the man said "Close, but wrong" when that answer was given.
    @Drugar, I don't know what the man meant by that. Theres an explanation of that question in math terms if you google it, wich i'm not very learned to demonstrate it myself.
  • SynergeticSynergetic Member Posts: 69
    The difference is, they are spelled differently.
    edited August 2012
    @Drugar

i admit its pretty evil. pm'ed some stuff, it even comes with even more stuff to solve.
    "$0.5 Cents" is 50 cents, not 5.

0.5+1.05 != 1.10