Skip to content

Backstab damage

I've got question about backstab damage. Is there any formula to calculate backstab damage? I'm asking this question because my charname did only 34 damage from backstab(x4) where his regular damage is 18-27. 34 isn't even divisible by 4... I'm using celestial fury in main hand and Dakkon's Zerth Blade in off hand. There are some screenshots below.

Comments

• moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    Backstab = base damage * backstab multiplier + damage modifiers.

You damage range listed is after modifiers.

Did you EEKeeper your alignment?
  • sabacs90sabacs90 Member Posts: 14
    Yes, I did. I didn't know that fighter/mage/thief can't be lawful good until now...
  • JLeeJLee Member Posts: 650
    Here is a formula for calculating backstabs (taken from the bioware forums):

((Base damage + Proficiency bonus + item bonus, bard song etc) x backstabbing multiplier + strength bonus ) x critical hit + additional weapon damage
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    No issue - just curious :)

As far as I'm concerned a thief CAN be Lawful Good, simply because it would be down to how they used their skills which should have a determining affect on their alignment.
    Thanks for your answers, now it's clear:)
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    Did you mod your proficiencies? The screenshot makes it look like you have high mastery with your weapons.
    Yes, BG2 Tweak Pack.
  • kryptixkryptix Member Posts: 741
    I do have to say that there's virtually no circumstances where DZB is better for that character in the off hand than Belm or later Scarlet ninja-to though... Just had to point that out.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    edited January 2014
    I disagree. Powergaming-wise, I won't argue with you, but unless APR is your be-all end-all goal, there are myriad interesting options for an off-hand weapon. I'm currently using DZB in my Jester's offhand and have no plans to replace it with one of those silly +APR weapons.
    jackjack said:

I disagree. Powergaming-wise, I won't argue with you, but unless APR is your be-all end-all goal, there are myriad interesting options for an off-hand weapon. I'm currently using DZB in my Jester's offhand and have no plans to replace it with one of those silly +APR weapons.

I just don't like how if you put DZB in your off hand you can never unequip it for a ranged weapon without losing spells, it doesn't do much damage, and there are not many situations where any spells in those low levels will be better than 1-2 extra swings with your main hand. I guess if your playing something like a fighter 1 dual to mage and never plan to melee it might be worth it, or if you are playing a bard who isn't meleeing? (I don't understand what you would do as a bard not meleeing though)...

I played with DZB on my Katana master Kensage for the looks way back in the day, but Belm is just better overall even without being proficient... Even Crom Freyr or Angurvadal would be better for the STR...
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    True - I rarely, if ever use ranged weapons with CHARNAME in BG2, (BG1 is crossbow time for me), so this is less of an issue for me.
    As a Jester, I cast, sing, and if anyone comes too close, I stick a dagger in their side.
    kryptix said:

I played with DZB on my Katana master Kensage for the looks way back in the day, but Belm is just better overall even without being proficient... Even Crom Freyr or Angurvadal would be better for the STR...

DBZ is temporary solution until I get Crom.

sabacs90 said:

kryptix said:

DBZ is temporary solution until I get Crom.

Ah, Crom got a boost in EE I think, so I would actually main hand Crom and off hand Belm at that point :) Maybe Kundane depending if you have Mazzy/Haerdalis vs having Jaheira.

Celestial Fury makes a good backstab weapon though until you get Staff of the Ram.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited January 2014
    What boost did Crom get in EE? As far as I know the only change is in its description and not its functionality.
    elminster said:

What boost did Crom get in EE? As far as I know the only change is in its description and not its functionality.

+5 lightning damage per hit, which is great against stoneskins and the like.
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    They just fixed the description on it.
    Ah i never bothered to open up the data files even though I'm a programmer so I guess I took the old descriptions as canon...