Skip to content

conflict if "classic" BG is already on computer?

ArcalianArcalian Member Posts: 359
edited July 2012 in Windows PC (Archive)
I wasn't going to get this originally, then I saw the 3 new party members. I'm a sucker for new party members. But i already have classic/regular BG and BG2 on my computer from GOG. Will Enhanced BG get "Confused" with it in the computer's memory?

I'm on Windows 7.

Comments

• ZeckulZeckul Member Posts: 1,036
    edited July 2012
    It's obviously going to be a completely separate game with its own registry entries and of course you'll be able to have both the originals and BGEE installed without them conflicting with each other. I promise to eat my shoes and make a Youtube video out of it if that proves to be wrong*.

*pleasedontfailmebeamdog
  • CorianderCoriander Member Posts: 1,667
    It's a different game. I haven't even had problems running them at the same time.
  • cmorgancmorgan Member Posts: 707
    You can have multiple parallel BG and BG2 and easytutu game installs on your computer simply by copying the original install and manually remapping the baldur.ini (that's how modders test different versions of WeiDU to tell if anything has accidentally messed up when versioning up - run mods out on BG2TEST1 using an old weidu version, then again with the new version on BG2TEST2 and compare the files looking for things that are different). Doing this still requires having the CD in the drive, so it isn't cheating or stealing - it is just creating independent installs of the same game on the same harddrive. The only hassle is when you uninstall the original version, you have to manually delete the other parallel installs as they all have the same installation/uninstallation key. But you would do that anyways.

Since we can do this, and BG:EE is a completely separate install, there should be no problems with having something as wild as this:

D:\BeamDog\Baldur'sGateEnhancedEdition\
    D:\Black Isle\Baldurs Gate\
    D:\Black Isle\BaldursGateTutu\
    D:\Black Isle\BGII - SoA\
    D:\BaldursGateTrilogy\
    D:\BG2_MY_FAVORITE_PLAYABLE_LOADOUT\
    D:\BG2_TEST1\
    D:\BG2_TEST2\
    D:\BG_TEST1\
    D:\BG_TEST2\
    D:\EASYTUTU_TEST1\
    D:\EASYTUTU_TEST2\

all of which are (different) playable games, each started by having the correct disc in the drive and started from BGMain.exe instead of the desktop icon. As long as each of the baldur.ini sections in each of the older games match their resident directory (that's the part you have to edit), things should be fine. (Though that harddrive had better be a big one, if you have full mod loadouts!).
  • ArcalianArcalian Member Posts: 359
    My BG1 is unmodded. BG2 is modded with, you guessed it, 2 NPC mods. And since I got them both from GOG, neither one has a disk. As I'm understanding it, BGEE will also be a download, so no disk there either.

All of that said, seems that this will work. Good to know, and thanks. :D
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    According to the Bug forum, this is a problem.

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/965/bugfix-baldur-exe-compatability#latest
    Aldark said:

If you have installed both Baldur's Gate 1 and Baldur's Gate 2 you will find at a moment that Baldur's Gate 1 loader (Baldur.exe) won't start game exe (BGMain.exe). It needs to be fixed.
    Root of problem: Their loaders use same registry key to detect in which folder BGMain.exe is located.

I do not have access to the BG:EE Beta to verify though.
  • cmorgancmorgan Member Posts: 707
    I do not have that experience with BG and with BG2. I find two different registry values. But I do not use the GOG distribution - only the cd versions.
    Well then I'll wait for them to fix that, then.
    Any update of this?
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    @Arcalian - Trent Tweeted today

"We've been playing #bgee on systems with multiple BG installs, so there are no cross install issues. We're good windows citizens ;-) "
    edited August 2012
    So it's fixed then? I saw that tweet. Doesn't tell me it's fixed.
  • TrentOsterTrentOster Administrator, Developer Posts: 433
    This is not an issue with the Enhanced Edition. We don't use the registry settings at all. We put the path data in Appdata\Local, just like you are supposed to. BG1 and BG2 use registry keys. They are independent.

-Trent
    Thank you, sir.