Skip to content

hexxat better with crossbow or shortbow?

shes got super high dexterity, I got a feeling that factors in to something. tips?

Comments

• RedWizardRedWizard Member Posts: 242
    Well, you can get Tuigan right at the beginning so why not shortbows. Besides, as a pure thief poor Hexxat will never get more attacks/rounds, and Tuigan sets it to 3.
    Her 20 DEX means she'll get -3 THAC0 with ranged weapons by the way.
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    I'd say Shortbow if for no other reason than Dorn already has points in Crossbow. While you won't want either using their weapon very often, there is something to be said for having ranged damage sometimes. Alas its more needed in BGEE (where Hexxat doesn't appear) than BG2EE.
  • AstafasAstafas Member Posts: 448
    I prefer her with thrown daggers (3 APR). There is the +2 Boomerang Dagger available early on. Really a shame that Strength bonus doesn't transfer as it should, though...
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    That should be being fixed in the next patch though.
  • AntagonistAntagonist Member Posts: 139
    edited December 2013
    Depends on the rest of the party as well.. I mean if you don't have any other ranged npc then I'd say Hexxat with Tansheron's Bow. Why? Because it's a +3 weapon, that you'll want to use against some creatures not risking getting in their attack range (like the Adamantium Golem, if I recall corretly, which has always been a pain in my arse). My common sense dictates I'd rather have a +3 weapon than +1, and I don't really feel like I need that Tuigan's third attack so much, when I already have two. EDIT: I'm saying that because Tansheron is very easy to get since Trademeets quests are no big deal even early in the game.

Moving on... If you have Viconia(who is a decent slinger) or your charname is ranged, then I'd say forget shooting arrows and go for backstabbing, Cheetah her and just jump in and out of battle, slaughtering half of the enemy team within the first few rounds. Maybe I'm exaggerating a bit, but that's just my impression of her ;)
    Post edited by Antagonist on
  • RuscoeRuscoe Member Posts: 126
    thanks for the tips everyone!
  • SkaffenSkaffen Member Posts: 709
    edited December 2013
    I have her in this setup: Tuigan with special ammo for most fights (piercing early on because of the thaco bonus, later more elemental) and Tasheron if magic arrows are required. Don't expect miracles though, XP/kill share was around 6% last time I checked and I was always using special ammo. That's still SoA without HLAs, it will slant even more in her disfavour later on when Korgan and Dorn get their whirlwinds and CHARNAME sorceress her horrid wilting.

The only one even less effective in damage dealing is Vic on sling duty but who contributes quite a bit to total damage through her summons which is not reflected in the stats.

Overall you'll get more damage with a melee/backstab approach (but with a lot more micromanagement because she is flimsy) or after the next patch if it fixes the dagger strength issue and you go that way. I'm happy with the current low maintenance point and shoot approach wielding melee for the few fights where it will make a difference that is important.
    Okaaaay, I'll straighten up a little bit. I don't need Crom Faeyr so Vic got the gloves. And now with her 19 Dex, 18/00 Str and Everard's Sling she makes a very useful ranged supporter, along with her spells. So don't you dare say Vic on sling duty is not effective >:(
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    Yeah, until daggers are fixed I'm going to go with giving her Everard's Sling.

+8 Strength + 1D4+5 damage (infinite +2 pouch plus base sling bonuses) and +7 to hit or so from Sling and Ammo gives 14-17 damage a round (28-34 with haste), is decently likely to hit, and keeps her out of trouble. She also can switch off the Pouch to just use the Sling's base +5 bullets, letting her contribute against most targets.

Compared to that, Tuigan's sitting at three attacks at 4-9 with a far lower bonus to hit. It's far more valuably given to Mazzy, who's piling on the Grand Mastery bonus for every shot and can't leverage the same Strength that Hexxat can for slings (and with haste 16-38 just isn't as good as using the sling anyway).
    But then u have a useless Viconia with no good sling, because Hexxat got the sling. Me no like that :(
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137

But then u have a useless Viconia with no good sling, because Hexxat got the sling. Me no like that :(

There are actually several great slings in the game, and for Viconia I'd be suggesting the Erinne Sling. Viconia will be spending less time slinging around between spellcasting, and the Erinne's +4/+5 to hit, +4 bullets (that you save for special occasions), and powerful +4/5 damage hits already means that Viccy with the ogre gauntlets will be hitting for 6+4+1D4+3 with regular +2 rocks (aka: still 14-17), and build up a nice selection of +4s for when she meets a demilich.

Since Viconia's a cleric not a pathetic waste of space pure class thief, she ends up with 6 THAC0 instead of 10, so she doesn't need to stack the early +5 from Everard.

Meanwhile Hexxat, who doesn't have much worth doing during combat, unlike Viconia who can very valuably pull out the buffs and attack spells, just plinks along with her infinite ammo cheat.

If you're cheap, of course, slapping the infinity pouch on Viconia and just going with Everard's without ammo is perfectly viable, but you get plenty of +2 bullets or better just thrown at you, more than enough to outfit a sometimes slinger like Viconia.
    edited December 2013
    Whoa.. easy there cowboy. No infinity pouches, no ghost ammo.

Also I believe we're talking about early game equipment, hence Everard's +5 from merchants, not some high-end shit found on the lowest levels of the Watcher's Tower which is where we find Erinne. So when you give +5 to Hexxat, you'll end up with Viconia wasting time with some +2 slings until you are able to get something better, since even with 18/00 she is a pathetic melee AND you will waste Hexxat's potential as a backstabber. That's basically how I feel. And d'nae call me cheap ye bastard or I'll antagonize ye'r petty self :D

Of course it's all a matter of personal taste, I'm on my first playthrough on Enhanced Edition, and a first one played for many years, so I don't actually remember all the equipment we could consider here.

EDIT: Shooting +2 bullets from a +5 sling counts as +5 right? Or did I mess something up?
  • SkaffenSkaffen Member Posts: 709
    Yes Vic will be more effective now that I have the gloves and she can finally wear a decent armor without giving a Polymorph Self:Turtle impression.

Aside from Everad there's a +3 sling somewhere in chapter 2 IIRC and with Hexxat in the party you should invest in 2-3 potions of master thievery and go on a shopping trip. After that you'll have more magical ammo for all shooters than you can ever fire so you don't need the pouch for the +2 bullets (which can't be upgraded before ToB anyway).

I don't have Mazzy in my evil party, that's why Gexxat is the only arrow shooter.
    Well I still have a bow on her but most of the time she runs around the battlefield dealing 50+ backstab dmg per hit ^^ micromanagement is time consuming though :/
  • ReadingRamboReadingRambo Member Posts: 598
    I wonder if she can use azuredge with UAI lol!
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315

I wonder if she can use azuredge with UAI lol!

Yes :)
  • kryptixkryptix Member Posts: 741
    I just put staff of the ram on her and let her go to town...
    does bonus damage of the ram also multiply? Or is it just added to the multiplied basic damage?
  • kryptixkryptix Member Posts: 741

does bonus damage of the ram also multiply? Or is it just added to the multiplied basic damage?

It all multiplies so does the damage from the gauntlets of weapon specialization. I often get backstabs over 100 which actually kills a lot of things.

My hexxat also killed demogorgon...
    Imagine how overpowered she would be if she actually had all the vampire race features...