Skip to content

New respurce type file extensions

bardezbardez Member Posts: 41
Do we know for certain what the file extensions for the new resource types are?

0x3FF = wbm?
0x400 = fnt?
0x402 = gui?
0x403 = sql?
0x404 = pvr? pvrz?
0x405 = pixel shader of some sort? glsl?

Which of these can be dumped into an override directory and actually be used by the engine?

Comments

• argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,434
    Your list of file types looks correct. They are all used by the games and can be placed into their override folders without problems.

WBM files are mostly used for movies, but they can also be used by BG2:EE (and possibly BG:EE since v1.2) as an alternative to BAM files when it comes to ARE background animations.

The FNT file format is still mostly unknown. I don't know of any tool that can already work with that kind of files.

I can't say much about the single GUI file provided by the EE games either. It is a simple text file though, so editing should be simple. Not sure how to make the game accept additional GUI files.

The BGEE.SQL controls quest entries, key bindings, credits, portrait selection during character creation and a lot more. Same as for GUI files, I don't know if the games can make use of additional SQL files.

PVRZ files are referenced by a great number of BAM, TIS and MOS files. You can also create your own files and place them into the override folders, if you know of tools that can produce PVRZ files.

There are only a handful of pixels shader files (GLSL) in the EE games and their use appears to be hardcoded. You can modify them however, to produce all kinds of nifty effects.
  • bardezbardez Member Posts: 41
    So *.wbm; *.fnt; *.gui; *. sql; *.pvrz; *.glsl are verified to be the correct extensions?
  • argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,434
    bardez said:

So *.wbm; *.fnt; *.gui; *. sql; *.pvrz; *.glsl are verified to be the correct extensions?

Yes, they are. Files using the above-mentioned extensions will be recognized by the game if you place them into the override folders.