Skip to content

Which armor is better for my Barbarian ?

Crimson Chain +5
-OR-
Shadow Dragon Scale

???

Comments

• MetallomanMetalloman Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,975
    Well, Crimson Chain is AC 0 and no other bonuses, Shadow Dragon Scale is AC 1 and 50% Acid resistance;
    There is not great need for that resistance but that AC 1 is great for thieves, as they could wear it.
    I suggest to wear Crimson Chain and give Shadow Dragon Scale to a thief, until you'll find the White Dragon scales

In Watcher's Keep, 3rd lvl

To get a -2 AC Armor +50% Cold Resistance. :)
  • kryptixkryptix Member Posts: 741
    Can I vote for White Dragon Scale? :) That said I think generally it will be the Shadow Dragon Scale if your lazy because the Acid resist helps surprisingly often while one point in AC often isn't a huge deal.

You can actually install a mod that lets you make the White Dragon Scale in SOA I think. Its only on level 3 of the Keep too, and its what I use on Hexxat.

Neither one will let you use a protection item though so that might be a big loss.
  • AnotherLifeAnotherLife Member Posts: 115
    edited January 2014
    I'm in SoA so for now I have to stick with these I think. But I find it weird that you're not discussing the AC exclusions, here is the full info:

Shadow Dragon Scale -> AC 1 (-1 vs slashing, 0 vs piercing and missile) +50% acid resistance
    Crimson Chain +5 -> AC 0 (-2 vs slashing, 2 vs crushing)

They both disallow protection item stacking :-(

EDIT: I really need to sell one of them to buy some nicer stuff for other party members.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    Might I suggest Human Flesh? It goes well with a nice Chianti.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @jackjack What about the fava beans?

I'm in SoA so for now I have to stick with these I think. But I find it weird that you're not discussing the AC exclusions, here is the full info:

Shadow Dragon Scale -> AC 1 (-1 vs slashing, 0 vs piercing and missile) +50% acid resistance
    Crimson Chain +5 -> AC 0 (-2 vs slashing, 2 vs crushing)

They both disallow protection item stacking :-(

EDIT: I really need to sell one of them to buy some nicer stuff for other party members.

Just go find someone to fight who drops a bunch of full platemail if your issue is money, such as going to windspear hills and not accepting the offer to get the radiant heart off your case right away, then killing a few groups of those nameless paladins for their armor before getting them off your case :)

That or go on a burglary spree...
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    jackjack said:

Might I suggest Human Flesh? It goes well with a nice Chianti.

Go sit in the corner and think about what you just said. Bad @jackjack!
    Also, isn't the Crimson Chain a purchased item (Ribald's specials)? If so, you're going to lose money on the deal...
  • foolstonefoolstone Member Posts: 37
    edited January 2014
    ")
  • AnotherLifeAnotherLife Member Posts: 115
    edited January 2014
    abacus said:

Also, isn't the Crimson Chain a purchased item (Ribald's specials)? If so, you're going to lose money on the deal...

I had it already then I went back and killed the shadow dragon and made the other one. Don't know which to keep :-(

What type of damage do the enemy bosses usually do ?
  • mjsmjs Member Posts: 742
    an alternative: orc leather adds 10% missile damage reduction, stacks nicely with barb's natural damage reduction and teh belt of inertial barrier

and by end game ToB: leather of thorns, which pretty much acts likes a fire shield (1-4 fire damage to anyone who hits you)

abacus said:

I had it already then I went back and killed the shadow dragon and made the other one. Don't know which to keep :-(

What type of damage do the enemy bosses usually do ?
    To be honest if C.Chain is available, that means you've already done the underdark. By now you should be at a level where crushing vs piercing etc doesn't really matter... Outright resistances (like Shadow vs Acid) are much better, so the Shady stuff would be my answer.

*Remember, if you get a particular resistance to >100, it actually starts healing you!
    Eg:
    Red Dragon Plate (+50% vs fire)
    Dragon Helm (+25% vs fire, cold & electric)
    Dragon Scale Shield (+25% vs fire, cold & electric)
    Ring of Fire Resistance (+40% vs fire)
    Boots of Grounding (+50% vs electric

Gives:
    50% vs cold (half damage from cone of cold)
    100% vs electricity (no damage from lightning bolts)
    And
    127% vs fire (fireballs heal you 27%)

(127 is max resistance btw... My maths isn't quite that bad!)

I know you're a barbie and can't wear red dragon plate, but the principle is the same.
  • MetallomanMetalloman Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,975
    He could wear the White dragon one, as I've said, it's quite good for a "leather armor": -2 AC. ;)
  • egonegon Member Posts: 94
    abacus said:

*Remember, if you get a particular resistance to >100, it actually starts healing you!

Is this still true for EE? I remember it worked for the old Edition but I've tried it in the ruined temples and nothing happened. I loaded up Jaheira so that she got 125% fire resistance and sent her walking through the lava room. She didn't take any damage but didn't seem to heal either. Is it a bug or did they just remove this feature for EE?
    It heals but doesn't say anything I think.
  • kansasbarbariankansasbarbarian Member Posts: 206
    Just use Aegers Hide for the confusion immunity and the 15% elementals resistances. Then for other slots use all resistant based items. My barb can tank in that setup. AC isn't that relevant at high levels.
  • DetroitRedWings25DetroitRedWings25 Member Posts: 244
    Personally i find the best Barbarian armor and the one i used all the way to level 40 and through the game, was the human flesh +5, you really cant top that 20% magic resistance, of course this is only an option if your barbarian is evil.
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    ^ ^ This
    I wasn't just making an off-color joke. Okay, I was doing that too, but…