Skip to content

Finally finished TOB

After over 10 years I somewhat shamefully have only now completed TOB. I used a solo F/M/T.

Those Slayer Shadows are a pain in the rear - especially if they start stacking up. The Fallen Solar was really easy though (Timestop+Melee to death) which surprised me. I had assumed it would be one of those immune to Timestop.

Overall impression of TOB is a game which is approaching a Diablo type game, hack and slash with tough melee foes which supplemented by lots of healing potions. Certainly not as engaging as SoA by a long shot.

I'm now looking forward to playing through with a party instead.

Comments

• LinkamusLinkamus Member Posts: 221
    edited January 2014
    If I recall, fallen solar is immune to regular time stop, but not immune to the Wish version of the spell. Am I correct? Or am I false?

Also, you need to install Ascension ;)
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    Nope, plain old regular boring Timestop works just fine.

It'll be SCS and Ascension next. Is Ascension even EE ready yet though?
  • SkaffenSkaffen Member Posts: 709
    edited January 2014
    SCS is, also got it working on my Mac yesterday. Serious difference, have to rethink my whole party and game setup! Ascension not yet, there's a thread here

https://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/23076/state-of-ascension/p1
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    edited January 2014
    You have timestop with a F/M/T? Did you remove the exp cap or console it in or something? Not trying to criticize you, but maybe that's why you found it boring. I found the ToB fights pretty fun myself even though the story is linear.

edit: oh, but congrats!
  • kryptixkryptix Member Posts: 741
    @nano

It's the final battle, there's like 8 timestop scrolls in the game, and he has time traps...
    wow, there are really 8 scrolls? I forgot about the time traps though, that makes sense.
    nano said:

wow, there are really 8 scrolls? I forgot about the time traps though, that makes sense.

Doing this from memory so I might miss some...

Mage in the under dark
    Ribald x 2?
    Suldanessallar I always get one I think
    Watchers keep I think has one guaranteed drop and possible random drop
    Lazarus has 2
    And I think you can still get more as randoms.
    edited January 2014
    @kryptix what about chain contingency scrolls? I need as many as I can get for my cleric/thief.

edit: oh and BBOD/shapechange if you happen to know as well :p
    edited January 2014
    nano said:

@kryptix what about chain contingency scrolls? I need as many as I can get for my cleric/thief.

edit: oh and BBOD/shapechange if you happen to know as well :p

I know that in this run in the fire giant temple, I've gotten 4x chain contingency (3 mages all have it and hexxat has one in her box), and I think also 5x BBOD.

BBOD you get 1x from Ribald, 2x from Lazarus, 1x from the North Forest and I think also 1x from WK (might have been random drop).

CC you get 1 from Ribald, 1 from Suldanessellar and 2 from Lazarus I believe.

Just remember Lazarus has 2 of everything...
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    I agree the spirit of SoA is diminished a lot in ToB - it plays quite differently. However, with Ascension and SCS, I do find it makes for an excellent stage for seeing how capable your character (and/or party) has finally become: all the decisions you've made in terms of character building throughout BG1 and SoA culminating in a charname with his/her full potential unlocked, with plenty of smart and powerful enemies to put up a challenge.
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    nano said:

You have timestop with a F/M/T? Did you remove the exp cap or console it in or something? Not trying to criticize you, but maybe that's why you found it boring. I found the ToB fights pretty fun myself even though the story is linear.

edit: oh, but congrats!

As it was a solo run and actually my first real venture into ToB the XP cap was removed as I can't see any logical reason why XP suddenly stops being gained due to an invisible cap.

That said with a full party I wouldn't expect to even hit the cap.