Skip to content

Graphical Issue, any help appreciated

Played BGEE fine on this pc for many months after release, then my HD crapped out and I took a few months to replace it. Finally got around to it today and installed BGEE and the game isn't running correctly and has yellow bars like this... I'm not a computer guru, but any help would be much appreciated, thanks guys!

BGEE.jpg 698.6K

Comments

• SharShar Member Posts: 158
    Is your hardware accelerator enabled?
  • acontacont Member Posts: 3
    I had that issues as well. Turned out I didn't have my graphic card drivers installed. Installing them resolved the issue.
  • Branded_OutlawBranded_Outlaw Member Posts: 2
    I'm having this same issue. Everything worked fine until the new patch and now my screen looks just like that. I'm running Windows 8.1 with an ATI Radeon HD 4800 graphics card. All drivers are up to date and I can't figure out what to do. Any ideas?
  • FallenAasimonFallenAasimon Member Posts: 29
    Just acquired BGEE and the same thing happens to my copy. Now I discover it apparently doesn't work with old, pre-HD integrated Intel graphics? I'm running it on a GMA 3100 on a Windows 8. Could someone tell me if there's any workaround for integrated cards?
  • FranpaFranpa Member Posts: 637

Just acquired BGEE and the same thing happens to my copy. Now I discover it apparently doesn't work with old, pre-HD integrated Intel graphics? I'm running it on a GMA 3100 on a Windows 8. Could someone tell me if there's any workaround for integrated cards?

Very likely no, because back then Intel was completely shit at making drivers that worked. It wasn't until the Intel 3000/4000 integrated graphics that Intel started to become (somewhat) competent at making drivers.

I wouldn't expect there to be anything the devs can do considering how broken the drivers likely are.
  • EmptinessEmptiness Member Posts: 238
    My understanding is that they continue to search for / work on a solution (for graphics incompatibility with older Intel graphics cards), but that they do not have one yet. Currently, the only solution I know of would be a video card upgrade.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Are you running the game through Steam? We've heard from a number of Steam users having the same issue.
  • Branded_OutlawBranded_Outlaw Member Posts: 2
    Yes, I'm running it on Steam.
  • CthulyogCthulyog Member Posts: 2
    edited December 2013
    I've exactly the same problem... I bought both BG:EE and BG:EE2 this morning on steam, and I have the problem with both games and couldn't fix it.
    I managed to launch a new game (I guessed where to click), and only the interface was covered with white stripes, not the middle of the screen... So I could move my charater, see the NPCs, etc. But everything was very slow.

I tried many solutions I found on the internet : modifying the baldur.ini, running as an administrator, in windowed or fullscreen mode, running on windows 95/98/XP/Vista mode, installing OpenAL, installing the last updates and turning off triple buffering, antialising, vsync... Nothing seems to work.

This is my configuration :
    HP Pavilion dv6 Notebook PC
    Windows 7 64bits
    Intel Core i5-2410M CPU @ 2.30GHz
    RAM : 6 Go
    Graphic card : Radeon HD 6490M

I also tried the game on my old computer (a desktop this time... Windows XP SP3 32 bits, Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q9400 2.66Ghz, Ram : 3Go, Radeon HD 4870). I didn't have the white stripes, I could create a character and launch a new game without any problem... BUT... if the interface was ok (no white stripes), the middle of the screen was all black, thus unplayable... and I couldn't fix it neither... Bad day :-(

I don't know what to do... I sent a request to the support team, just a few minutes ago... I'll let you know if they can fix that. Maybe I'm missing something somewhere, or I'm doing something wrong... :-/
  • CthulyogCthulyog Member Posts: 2
    I fixed it ! Thanks to dee !

I'll explain how I fixed it, as it may be useful to others... (and sorry for my bad English)

It seems that I did NOT have the latest drivers... I thought I had, but I was wrong. I used the automatic detection on HP, Intel and AMD websites, to find new drivers, but it seems it's not a good solution. Even windows automatic detection didn't find anything...

So if you have the same problem : automatic detection doesn't find any new driver, try to use the product number (also called model number) of your computer. I have an HP laptop, I just had to press "fn" + "escape" to find it (but if you don't have an HP, it's probably something else, you should find it on your computer manufacturer website). When you have your product number, go on your computer manufacturer website (HP website for me), and try to find new drivers.

In a first time I didn't even found my laptop, and this is reason why : they don't have any integrated database with all the models (I wonder why, I think it's very stupid...). But they do have a database for each country : I purchased my laptop from Belgium, on amazon, but didn't know if it was amazon.com or amazon.fr anymore... So I used the searched tool for : Belgium, then US, then France... And I finally found new drivers in the French database...

I installed them and... no more white stipes !
  • NoobslayerNoobslayer Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2013
    I have exactly the same problem.

Toshiba Satellite
    Processor is i7-3630 QM CPU 2.4 GHZ
    GPU: AMD Radeon HD 7670 M,
    I;ve got the latest drivers (catalyst control for AMD). The white stripes are still there.
    Oh, and I am running it through steam.
    I would like a refund, to be honest.
  • ChainsawXIVChainsawXIV Member Posts: 3
    I was having the same problem tonight - everything was working fine on my laptop's ATI Radeon HD 3200 with Windows 8, then I installed the windows 8.1 update and it all fell apart.

After trying and re-trying everything, the fix ended up being to:

1. Completely uninstall my graphics drivers (from the device manager, deleting the files) and the various related software (all of the AMD catalyst stuff) to get a clean start.

2. Reboot and re-install the whole package, making sure I was using the proper legacy drivers (from http://support.amd.com/en-us/download, in my case the 13.1 version from January, 2013).
  • bbqsauceomgwtfbbqsauceomgwtf Member Posts: 1
    Having the exact same problem as EdgeStryfe. Before I was running Windows XP and played BGEE fine. Afterwards I upgraded my OS to Windows 8.1 and BGEE took a big crap on me.

Specs:

Windows 8.1 64 bit
    ATI Radeon 4250
    AMD Phenom II x6 1055T Processor (6 CPUS) 2.8 GHz
    DirectX 11

I've tried updating the motherboard drivers and updating the graphics drivers, including rolling back to older drivers. I've even disabled the graphics card and I still have the problem. Based on other experiences here, I wonder if it could be related to Windows 8.1. However, I'll try ChainsawXIV's fix.