Skip to content

Unlock 60fps

So, since the game is normally capped at 30fps I searched a bit for a solution to unlock it to 60fps, but I did not find anything. However, I solved it myself.
I don't know if people already know this(I'm sure some do), but I just thought I'd share it anyway:

Step 1:
Go to baldur.ini, search for the line "Maximum Frame Rate" (tip: Ctrl+f), and change it to 60 instead of 30.

Step 2:
Now, people claim that it doesn't change anything, which is true, because the game is set to update automatically which will reset the .ini file when you start the game. Fortunately, all you have to do is to locate the game in your Steam library, right click and select "Properties", go to the "Updates" tab and change Automatic updates to "Do not automatically update this game".

And there you go, done.

NOTE:
Changing the framerate will increase the speed of the game, therefore 60fps will feel quite fast. But if you want the game to feel a bit smoother, you can set it to 40 fps or something, change it to your liking. There's nothing wrong with 30 fps, but some people may want to set it a bit higher.

Comments

• jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    I wouldn't go past 35, but then I never mess with it in the first place. Still, for those who want to, this is nonetheless informative.
  • nanonano Member Posts: 1,632
    I like that it speeds up cutscenes because I'm impatient. You've never seen Irenicus kill so fast! Some voiced dialog gets cut off though.
    jackjack
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    IcannotbecagedIcannotbecontrolledunderstandthisasyoudieeverpatheticeverfools!
    nano
  • SkaffenSkaffen Member Posts: 709
    BG2 Tweak Pack mod has an option to speed up cutscenes if that is your main driver...
  • LundmaNLundmaN Member Posts: 43
    edited January 2014
    I like it at 40fps, the characters move a little faster, but combat doesn't feel too fast. Cutscenes run a little faster but not so they feel ridiculous. The game in general feels sligthly more fast-paced. I haven't noticed any cut off voiced dialogue yet.

If anyone experience bugs or issues due to this, post it here so I can edit the topic to warn/inform others, be sure to mention what framerate you set the .ini file to when you experienced the issue/bug :)
    Post edited by LundmaN on