Skip to content

Very simple question; renaming (not changing!) a class

avocadoavocado Member Posts: 24
I was about to post a request concerning mage kits, but after thinking it over I think this would be the wiser/easier option.

Depending on the AD&D edition, when you specialize as a mage, you are able to choose which spell school to give up. Since that's not entirely the case in baldur's gate, I was wondering if it was possible to choose the spell school I'd like to give up, and then rename the specialized school (I saw in ee-keeper you could only change kits, not rename them.

As an example:
1. want to be an enchanter at the cost of illusion
2. pick necromancer
3. rename class enchanter.

Any ideas?

Comments

• ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    edited January 2014
    Depends on how thorough you want to be. The fundamental way is to alter KITLIST.2DA to and change the necromancer entries there to be identical to the enchanter ones (making the necromancer kit utilize the same entries in dialog.tlk as the enchanter kit). That will change the titles of all characters with the necromancer kit though (not that there are a lot of them).

Another option is by way of using a spell with the 'change title' opcode (290), that lets you assign any title to the class name and record screens (have to create two variants of the spell to get both effects). This will, as far as I know, only change the title of the character it's cast upon.
  • avocadoavocado Member Posts: 24
    That second option sounds perfect!
    The opcode 290, I would need 1 for the title and one for the description? And to create the spell, I'm assuming it's on the list of console commands?
    No, you'd have to custom-make such a spell using a tool like Near Infinity. You need to set it up to point to the 'enchanter' entries in dialog.tlk so it knows what to re-title you as.
  • avocadoavocado Member Posts: 24
    edited January 2014
    After looking into it, I forgot that modding for engines are different depending on the engine, and as such I have little to no experience with infinity ._.

From what I can tell, the save bonuses for kits were not implemented(?) so it's simply a matter of changing names(?) I couldn't find the KITLIST.2DA in my files; do I need a modding tool to access it?
    Post edited by avocado on
    Not really. If you're not that used to modding/editing, I'd say the first alternative is definitely the simplest, though even that requires you to use an editor program.