Skip to content

Super Imoen, except for the crashing of my computer

So I just started my second game of Baldur's Gate EE part 1 after playing the whole Black Pit campaign. I imported an elven archer from that one and started the game. After Gorion dies and when Imoen shows up it turns out she is level 6!! Her thieving skills are unchanged though, same crappy hide in the dark stat, so I'm not sure what else would be screwed up about her.

On top of that, when I tried to dual class her a bit later once I got to the Friendly A. Inn the screen goes completely black, freezes and the game then breaksdown. Has anybody else had this happen??

Comments

• HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    The level of NPC companions in the game is dependent on your main character level. Thus, because u imported a character that's already lv 6 or maybe higher, Imoen is programmed to match your level, and the same is true for Neera, Jaheira, Minsc etc...

Obviously the game intends for you to begin at lv1, and artificially bumping up the level of all party members like this pretty much destroys any difficulty curve in the encounters. If this is a second playthrough and you just wanna mess around and stomp through the whole game feelin' awesome, then fair enough, it is a singleplayer game, but if it's a first playthrough, I strongly caution against doing this. Any game that's too easy becomes boring quickly.

I once started a really cheesy game where I stole all that I could in Candlekeep, and killed Firebeard using the staircase exploit, and I was lv3 before I left Candlekeep. I gave up the game at the Friendly Arm Inn cos it was silly how easy I killed the first assassin compared to normal. Unlike BG 2, BG 1 doesn't scale up in difficulty according to your level.

The dual-class crash... I am not sure, maybe it has something to do with Imoen being way higher level than intended, or maybe not.

• TigersagTigersag Member Posts: 52
    @Heindrich1988 thanks.. that was clarifying.. :)

still shouldn´t Imoen have better thieving skills if her level is at level 6? or would that be fixed when she leveled up again?

also could you explain how BG2 scales up according to level?

Personally though I find baldur's gate 1 pretty challenging because your characters die so much faster in the early game then in Baldurs Gate 2. There are some nasty encounters when your travelling from one place to another where you have little or no chance. The one where you are surrounded by what I think are hobgoblins with bows comes to mind.

but yes it is a bit too easy with a level 6 elven archer killing everyone in sight with an infinite supply of +1 arrows... grins... :)
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    edited January 2014

I stole all that I could in Candlekeep, and killed Firebeard using the staircase exploit, and I was lv3 before I left Candlekeep.

Man... it really is ahard to find decent folk nowadays

It would be funny if that changed the entire story of the saga

Gorion: "come child, we must run before Hull finds the body. If I am arrested, you must meet my 'associates' Khalid and Jaheira hiding in that weird corner of the Friendly Arm's Inn."
    Tigersag said:

still shouldn´t Imoen have better thieving skills if her level is at level 6? or would that be fixed when she leveled up again?

also could you explain how BG2 scales up according to level?

I am not an expert in the inner workings of the game, but normally, you assign thief skills each time you level up, so presumably Imoen missed out cos u didn't do it, you might get to reassign loads of points next time she levels up... In BG 2 ToB u can call on NPC companions from BG 2 SoA, and if they don't have 2.5M xp or better (cos u didn't use them in SoA), they automatically get bumped up to 2.5M xp, and gives u a bucket-load of skills and proficiencies to assign. However, that's an intend situation, yours isn't, so I don't know if the same will happen.

Also the reason why Imoen's skills might be messed up... the game has several versions of the NPCs at different levels, to allow for u reaching them at different stages of the game. For example if u pick up Minsc straight away, he might be lv2, if u ignore him until much later, he might be lv5. Imoen however always joins your party at the beginning of the game, and is never intended to be met at a later stage, so she probably doesn't have a 'higher level Imoen' coded, as she isn't supposed to be higher than lv1, so whatever separate coding that automatically scaled her didn't have a pre-made high level Imoen to use. (Can u tell I'm not a coder! lol?)

As for BG 2 scaling. The game spawns different enemies based on your party size and party level, since u can visit a specific area at totally different levels of development, ranging from a battered lv8 group to an epic dragon-slaying avatars of buttkicking, so the game kinda compensates. A dungeon that spawns skeletons and mummies might in the early game might spawn random liches in the late game.
  • SuccubusSuccubus Member Posts: 90

As for BG 2 scaling. The game spawns different enemies based on your party size and party level, since u can visit a specific area at totally different levels of development, ranging from a battered lv8 group to an epic dragon-slaying avatars of buttkicking, so the game kinda compensates. A dungeon that spawns skeletons and mummies might in the early game might spawn random liches in the late game.

This is simply not true, people should stop spreading misinformations.
    The vast majority of encounters doesn't scale at all.
    There are some encounters where you'll face additional enemies, or rarely, stronger versions (vampires).
    Succubus said:

This is simply not true, people should stop spreading misinformations.
    The vast majority of encounters doesn't scale at all.
    There are some encounters where you'll face additional enemies, or rarely, stronger versions (vampires).

@Succubus
    You can make a claim that my advice was incomplete, but to label it 'misinformation' is rude, unnecessary and incorrect.

It is true that boss battles are unaffected by scaling, but many BG 2 bosses have the option of avoiding a battle, so if u stumbled on it too early, u can always pick the safer option and 'live to fight another day'. For example:

Firkraag, Shadow Dragon, Demon Knights of Demogorgon etc

However, to dismiss scaling altogether is simply BS. I have been recording a BG 2 LP in the last few months, and concurrently watching an LP where the player took a very different path to mine. Whereas I rushed off to Spellhold pretty quickly, Tord (AKA "mynameisnotlilly") did most of the quests he could in Chapter 2. Thus his party was much higher level than mine in the Underdark, and generally faced larger groups of enemies. However, when I did some of the Ch.2 side quests in Ch.6, I had to face far tougher enemies than he did.

For example:

Tord did the Shadow Dungeon pretty early, and faced mostly shades in the dungeon. I did it in Ch.6 and ran into random liches around every corner! I'm pretty sure that counts as dungeon scaling!

There are countless examples I could give u, there are all sorts of different encounters u can get in Watcher's Keep, depending on when you go there.

So no, I was not providing misinformation, and I do not appreciate being accused of doing so.
  • SethDavisSethDavis Member Posts: 1,812
    edited January 2014
    Looking at the files, Imoen does get improved thief skills for the higher level spawns, but she focuses on move silently and detect traps, getting 75 and 90 at the lvl 6 version. the move silently should still help your hide in shadows a bit though.

I'll see if i can get the freeze to happen for me.

Edit: Nope, didn't happen for me. If it's still a problem please attach a save file

slightly off topic: until relatively recently there have been problems with the party size spawning of multiple enemies, but they're working now i think. rest encounters have always been working with larger parties