Skip to content

Demons, Devils, and Dice Rolls

PokotaPokota Member Posts: 858
edited January 2014 in Off-Topic
So this was originally going to be me wondering whether or not Aec'Letec could take Yxunomei in a fight.

Then I got to thinking about other Evil Outsiders I've fought in my D&D days. I've battled Balthazar's summoned legion of Vrock and Babau (for those wondering, that's from Darksun: Shattered Lands), I've taken down Yxunomei and Belhifet in the past, and as of yesterday I can now claim the Demonknight and Aec'Letec among the EOs I've defeated. I've never gotten far enough into BGII to even see past Athkatla, let alone meet Demogorgon or other named EOs.

My official kill-count of the big four are 3 Yxunomei, 1 Belhifet, 1 Demonknight, and 1 Aec'Letec. I've slaughtered countelss Vrock and Babau (and Slaad, though they're not EOs so much as Chaotic Outsiders) over the years, but that's less because they're weak and more because they had gotten themselves summoned to Athas.

So back to the original idea: Who would win in a fight, Aec'Letec or Yxunomei? Also, what kind of Outsider is Aec? I've seen him referred to as a Nabassu, and as a generic Tanar'ri.

Comments

• LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    Aec'Letec is a Nabassu Tanar'ri, so he's both. Nabassu, or "Death Stealers" were introduced in AD&D 1e, in the Monster Manual II, under the heading "Demon". These were retconned into Tanar'ri (and Devils into Baatezu) because there were people who pointed to Demons and Devils existing in AD&D was proof that AD&D somehow taught people to worship Demons and Devils.
    [Deleted User]NonnahswriterPokotaCrevsDaak
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    Yxunomei would mop the floor with Aec'Letec.
    CrevsDaak
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    LadyRhian said:

Aec'Letec is a Nabassu Tanar'ri, so he's both. Nabassu, or "Death Stealers" were introduced in AD&D 1e, in the Monster Manual II, under the heading "Demon". These were retconned into Tanar'ri (and Devils into Baatezu) because there were people who pointed to Demons and Devils existing in AD&D was proof that AD&D somehow taught people to worship Demons and Devils.

Because, of course, nobody worshipped such things before AD&D or outside of AD&D. Makes perfect sense to me... Sounds legit, even.
    CrevsDaak