Skip to content

Import character from BG:EE to BG:EE-II on iPad

How will it work with importing your character from BG:EE to BG:EE-II on iPad?

Comments

• iKrivetkoiKrivetko Member Posts: 934
    Via cloud functions, I would assume.
  • gollumergollumer Member Posts: 8
    Imported by BG:EE character into BG2:EE last night. Simple.

Launch BG:EE on the iPad, then load your most recent save
    Highlight your character, then select the human head icon on the left to view the character stats
    From there you will be able to export
    When prompted (after doing the export), select "Open in Baldur's Gate II"
    BG2:EE will launch…
    Go to the part where you create a new character and select Import
    Select the one you just exported
    Done.
    CrevsDaak
  • snexsnex Member Posts: 9
    gollumer said:

When prompted (after doing the export), select "Open in Baldur's Gate II"

i dont see this option anywhere?
  • BytebrainBytebrain Member Posts: 602
    edited January 2014
    Here's a comprehensive guide:

First, open BG:EE.
    Load your latest save.

Go to the Character Screen of your main Char.
    Select Export.

http://img560.imageshack.us/img560/5360/m3q3.jpg

Select the relevant Character.
    You can rename the file, but it's not necessary.

http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/6321/i0ul.jpg[

Press "Done" and the following screen appears:
    Choose "Open in BG2:EE"

http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/9008/mp74.jpg

That's it.
    You'll be transported to BG2:EE.
    Start a new game and you'll be able to choose your exported Character:

http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/4364/kmyz.jpg

Remember to shut down BG:EE, as you don't want that to use all your memory while starting a new game in BG2:EE.
    CrevsDaak
    Bytebrain said:

i am following the steps but this just does not happen. it just goes back to the character sheet page.
  • gollumergollumer Member Posts: 8
    snex said:

Bytebrain said:

i am following the steps but this just does not happen. it just goes back to the character sheet page.
    What version of iOS are you using? I'm using iOS7, and I got that screen...
    7.0.4, which seems to be the latest
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    The real question is which version of the game are you playing; this functionality was added in the last patch (v1.2.2031), so if you're playing a version before that, you won't see it.
    PibaroCrevsDaakjackjack
    1.2.2031 is what it says on the game selection screen.
  • larspetterlarspetter Member Posts: 4
    Same version and problem here, no popup to launch bg2ee
  • fluxdeluxefluxdeluxe Member Posts: 15
    could this be IOS version issue I'm on 0S 7. To those people who haven't got it working what version are you running?
    Ipad 2, iOS 7.0.4. tried running only bgee, and with bgee and bg2ee running at the the same time (with sufficient memory)
  • fluxdeluxefluxdeluxe Member Posts: 15
    bizarre works every time for me
  • yanm75yanm75 Member Posts: 3
    Same problem as many others: no option to open BG2EE after export. 3rd generation iPad, latest iOS version, latest publicly available game versions. Is there an iOS setting to be changed somewhere?

At the moment, it is not a problem for me because I'm not yet finished with BGEE.
    Bump. I have 5 bgee chars waiting for bg2, but cannot transfer them
    Does your iPad have Restrictions enabled? (If so, which ones?)
    Restrictions are disabled. Thx for replying
  • jono009jono009 Member Posts: 2
    Same problems for me here. Looking at the screenshots above I wonder if Is this possibly a feature that requires airdrop? Hopefully not a bug :-/ really want to import my Mage. Running iPad 3rd gen. Both apps and iOS 7 are completely up to date.

No restrictions are on

Can export from original game but no sharing options appear during this process.
    Yes, you'll probably need AirDrop in order for it to work.
  • jono009jono009 Member Posts: 2
    Got it working via PC connection. Seems that the live import only works on the newer iPads. Everyone else 3 or below use iFunBox.

http://www.i-funbox.com/

The application is very useful! I was able to save my characters and save games to my Dropbox folders so I can now remove the old game for space without losing this information.

My Wild Mage and Monk are now ready to go...
  • blipmusicblipmusic Member Posts: 36
    I have a 4th gen iPad (which has AirDrop, although I don't understand what difference that makes in this case) and I get no "Open in..." pop-up either. Just returns to the character sheet after pressing 'done' at the export "window". Couldn't a manual "Open in..." dialog be added somehow, similar to how other apps do it?
  • IllydthIllydth Member, Developer Posts: 1,641
    The easiest way to transfer a character from BG:EE to BG2:EE if the above doesn't work is to use iFunBox to move the saved game.

The link is above. The instructions for installation and use are pretty clear. There are some posts (see the "Known Issues" thread at the top for linked posts of note) for how to use iFunBox to transfer files.

You'll want to navigate to your BG:EE installation, download the "Final Save" (or whatever other save you want to import, it doesn't HAVE to be the final save) to your local computer, and the upload it back into the "BG2" saved game folder. Once you have that done, go into BG2, create a new character, click Import, then From Saved Game, select your saved game and you should have an import completed.

NOTE: When you go to select sound sets, do not use the "Default" sound set, you won't get any sound at all coming from your character. I believe this affects the "Default" as well as the soundset that default points to (#4 I think).
  • PulpExposurePulpExposure Member Posts: 2
    This worked great for me on my ipad 4, but be aware the potential bug with imported saves that's present with the PC version is present here as well. That is, Watchers Keep doesn't appear on your world map so you can't go there...
  • proccoprocco Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 915
    Yeah, do yourself a favor and open up the world map as soon as you can in the game. If Watcher's Keep doesn't show, I found exporting the character (so I didn't have to re-roll) then starting a new game importing that character got it to show up. You have to sit through the opening movie again, but better that than getting all the way through the dungeon and finding WK isn't on the map....
  • zavulonzavulon Member Posts: 21
    I used this method and it transferred the character fine. But what about the equipment? IIRC, there was a bunch of equipment that was supposed to transfer over, like Mail of the Dead and pantaloons. But when I open the compartment behind the painting on the wall, only standard equipment is there...
  • blipmusicblipmusic Member Posts: 36
    Illydth said:

The easiest way to transfer a character from BG:EE to BG2:EE if the above doesn't work is to use iFunBox to move the saved game. [...]

Thanks for the instructions and the tip about sound sets - I'll keep an eye out for the (non) existence of WK as well, as mentioned by others.

It's just that it would be so nice to smoothly move from BGEE to BGIIEE as seems to have been the intention. I thought iPad 4 supported the same set of APIs as iPad Air though, so it seems a bit erratic - or maybe it's a buggy Apple API (not that I know anything about coding).