Skip to content

[CRASH] Game crashes when I rest

MartimusMartimus Member Posts: 6
edited January 2014 in BGII:EE Bugs (v1.2.2030)
In BG2EE, ever since I was warned by the cowled wizards not to use magic, my game crashes whenever I try to rest.
I'm going to find a save before that to see if that is indeed the thing that forces this crash.

EDIT: After going through multiple saves, I found that the point where I can not rest anymore is when I kill Prebek. Before going into Prebeks home I can rest, but after leaving it I cannot. Is there any workaround for this? Do I have to just avoid the Harper quest?

I uploaded the save files for just before it crashes and just after. Resting will cause the crash.

I cannot find the dmp file however. I think this is because it doesn't crash to desktop, but just hangs indefinitely.

EDIT: I went from the previous save and played all the way through the find Montaron quest, and was able to rest afterward. I hope this bug was a one time thing and I won't see it pop up again. It appears to be fixed now on my end. Thank you for your help! I appreciate your effort in trying to track down my problem. I may have just needed to reboot to get it to work right.
Post edited by Martimus on

Comments

• MartimusMartimus Member Posts: 6
    Well, I just used the save before that happened, and it still crashes. I am going to go back further to figure out where this issue started.
    edited January 2014
    The previous save does not crash when I rest. The differences between these two are that I got the keepsake amulet for Jaheira between these saves, and I protected Sansuki from Del and her two Vampire friends. Perhaps it is the keepsake amulet? I'll try dropping it from inventory and seeing if resting works then.

EDIT: That did not work. Perhaps it is from protecting Sansuki from Del?

EDIT 2: After going through multiple saves, I found that the point where I can not rest anymore is when I kill Prebek. Before going into Prebeks home I can rest, but after leaving it I cannot. Is there any workaround for this? Do I have to just avoid the Harper quest?
    edited January 2014
    I am using the Steam version of the game, so it should be patched as it is set to keep it updated. While I have no mods running, I have tried to switch my vanilla paladin to a cavalier via Shadowkeeper, since I don't use bows with him anyway, and he continuously gets charmed. Since I was unsuccessful in giving him the immunity to charm and fear, I used shadow keeper to change him back (since now he had all the drawbacks of being a cavalier, but none of the benefits.) This save comes soon after that, so I don't doubt it has something to do with it.

However, I can rest in saves after that switch, but I cannot in saves after I kill Prebek. I cannot find anywhere within the game that tells me what version I am running, so I am having a hard time verifying that I am running version 1.2.2030.

EDIT: After running that save game again, I was able to get through the entire find Montaron quest and rest afterward. My original save at that point still will not allow me to do it, but hopefully it is a bug that I won't see again.
    The game would eventually hang when I rested no matter what I did. I eventually figured out that it was when I switched to a Cavalier and back, shadowkeeper added paladin skills each time, and removing the additional paladin skills (something like 80 of each) made my game stable again. In case anyone else has this issue, I wanted to post the fix.