Skip to content

[Mod] [SCS] Game crashes after Chapter 2 movie/cutscene ends

vsbdfhvsbdfh Member Posts: 15
edited September 2014 in BGII:EE Bugs (v1.2.2030)
Immidiately after coming back to G. Boyle's house

steps taken from attached quick save file:
- exit Waukeen's Prom.
- select Slums (only option)
- G. Boyle convo ---> G. Boyle's house convo
- Chapter 2 movie/cutscene with Irenicus and Imoen with Cowled Wizards
- back to G. Boyle's house, then Crash.

I do have a couple mods installed, including SCS which, if anyone knows takes about 45 mins to install/uninstall by itself, so I want to exhaust all options first.
Post edited by Gate70 on

Comments

• vsbdfhvsbdfh Member Posts: 15
    Just to update, I seem to have gotten by this. One thing that happened before I left for the Slums was a vampire encounter at night. It occurred along the borders of the map, so I was unable to actually see the vampire, but I did see the equipment of the dead Shadow Thieves on the ground and I did get some dialogue from her saying I wasn't supposed to see this yet, that I must choose sides, and gave a simple reply (something like You will not stop me - whatever the 2nd option was). It was strange because I could hear her, but not see her on my screen.

Anyway, I'm HOPING that was the culprit, as I was able to reload an earlier save, try doing each individual thing I originally did before the transition, and it did not crash on me again.
    Update. Nope, something is still wrong at the Slums entrance. It worked earlier, when G. Bayle auto-dialogue's you on your first visit there, then he takes you to his house, ch2 movie, etc. And after that I left his house and went directly north to the Gov district and got a magic license. But as soon as I went to go back to the Slums, it crashes a second after I'm in.

I cannot enter the Slums without it crashing from anywhere now.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    Is you FPS set to a setting lower than 35?
    didnt even know there was an FPS setting. Everything's at default, I think.
    K, nother update... Think it worked during the daytime. Just reloaded a save at night and tried entering slums - crashed same spot.

Gonna test this again.
    Yep, that makes sense.

Pretty sure "improved vampires" was not available when I was installing it, and in that thread, DavidW stated he disabled them because "it's causing some kind of animation-related crashes"
    Would the improved Improved Bodhi component cause this?
    edited January 2014
    SCS only has 2 vampire related components as far as I can tell, Improved Vampires, which is disabled in v28 so it's not installed, and Improved Bodhi, which requires improved vampires to be installed, so it is also skipped in the installation.

And yet, if I go to the CC, and rest till night, go outside, windows "ding", it crashes. Fine during the day.

I have steam version. W7x64, GTX760
    edited January 2014
    OK, nother update.

On a hunch, uninstalled "Vampire Tales" (it was on the list - I haven't ever played any of these mods, so I installed them all), and it works now. At least, entering the Slums at night - either from another area or from the CC - works normally (without an immediate crash).

I also noticed in the WIEDU log after uninstalling Vampire Tales, that certain SCS components could not be re-installed due to errors, I'd say about 3 of them in total. Will keep an eye on this.
    It SHOULD be because of the animations *sigh* I remember when I was a noob to modding and kept trying to add a Dragon to Candlekeep :P so foolish :D, that is causing the crashes.
    @Cuv says that if FPS are higher than 35 the game might crash on a cutscene, anyway I tend to play at 40 and even at 60 sometimes, but to MP you need the same amount as the other player (I'm playing with @Quartz) so I had to tone it down.
    Also, if @DavidW stated what could be causing this I'd say this is caused by a mod rather than the game.
    Cuv
    CrevsDaak said:

It SHOULD be because of the animations *sigh* I remember when I was a noob to modding and kept trying to add a Dragon to Candlekeep :P so foolish :D, that is causing the crashes.
    @Cuv says that if FPS are higher than 35 the game might crash on a cutscene, anyway I tend to play at 40 and even at 60 sometimes, but to MP you need the same amount as the other player (I'm playing with @Quartz) so I had to tone it down.
    Also, if @DavidW stated what could be causing this I'd say this is caused by a mod rather than the game.

Well, I do wonder if the SCS components that couldn't be re-installed (only 3-4 at most) are at all to blame, and not just mucked up by corresponding mod files. None of them had anything to do with vampires, tactics, or AI.

As for the FPS issue, this crash never happened as a result of a movie or cutscene. The cause of the original crash, was inside G. Bayles house after the ch2 intro and cutscene finished and then went back to the game because it was night when I left Waukeens for the 1st time and that whole sequence started.

So, if VT was the culprit, what am I missing? Is it a long, exp high mod? Kinna pissed cuz I love vampires (and really wish I could use the SCS vamp components)
    @vsbdfh I don't have much knowledge about those mods (yes about SCS, but I always give a yes to all the improve enemies (I only use it in vanilla BG2 with Ascension) and then select some stuff), so I can't tell.
    I do not know what could have caused the first crash, I'm only a IE light modder and kind of a "beta tester" of the iPad version only (so I am not a beta tester but a guy that helped something), so I can't help with crashes (much less in windows).
    No worries. Thanks for your help. I will be sure to post here again if anything else goes sideways.

Obviously having 20-25 mods installed at once was a risk, so I'm hopeful I got the worst one out this early. Can't wait to see the rest of the new content from all these.
    Your welcome :) I always wished for a real life save game option, you know, before installing mods (I had to re-install my vanilla BG2 5 times) :)