Skip to content

How do you play? (restarter disease and wiki syndrome)

fvmedeirosfvmedeiros Member Posts: 32
In BG and any RPG games... It is only me or anyone else start 2, 3 sometimes 4 characters and play them for a few levels to choose one for the first playthrough? (in BG2 i did first dungeon 4 times before chose to play a stalker)(skyrim i did about 12 different builds)

Not only that, sometimes in the middle of the playthrough i feel that another class or build will be more satisfying so i start all over again!

And also, before i start a game, i read a lot about classes and builds, to know what im doing... and during a playthrough i read a lot, pause the game before distribute a point to see best options...

And all that is the real fun for me, just chose 1 class and go all the way is not very fun, i need to play with options...

I spend much more time in foruns/wikis and attribute/build screens than actualy playing the game!

How do YOU play?
Post edited by fvmedeiros on

Comments

• GriboeGriboe Member Posts: 47
    Exactly the same as you. Sometimes it's more fun READING about different classes, how to use X npc or Y weapon(s). These days I'm actually spending more time on these forums than in-game :)
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    Yeah, I'm a butterfly really... Flitting from build to build.
    I'm quite proud that my current run actually started in Candlekeep, and is still going in Sendai's enclave, with only a *mild* flirtation with a Cavalier along the way. (He's waiting at the Friendly Arm Inn for me.)
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    It sounds like you have fallen prey to a common condition amongst BG adventurers... Restartisis.

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/20842/chronic-restarting-detox-camp/p1

See this thread for more details. Sadly medical science has no reliable cure, but at least you can see that you are far from alone.

As for myself, I resist the temptation to restart by using a variety of different NPCs over the course of a game. Why do I need to play different characters with Charname when there is so much variety amongst my companions?
    CrevsDaakAlonso
  • fvmedeirosfvmedeiros Member Posts: 32
    Lol... nice post! I knew that i am ill...

The strage thing is that we are all aware that any build, in any game, shines above lvl 10, and still we keep testing builds inside irenicus dungeon... same with other games...
    I was playing dragon age 2 this week, trying to see what build is more fun for a solo play, and i did act 1 with 3 different chars... i hope to finish the game with my blood mage now.
  • WebShamanWebShaman Member Posts: 490
    Rejoice in the fact that you are merely suffering from a common affliction known as restartitis, and not, like those unfortunates (myself included) who are afflicted with unable-to-finish-itus! Never to know the ending, or to enjoy it due to the need to find that next encounter, that extra tidbit of xp, gold, items, and of course, secrets! Yes, secrets! Got...to...find...them...ALL!

And so I never finish a game, because I never stop playing it! I cannot say how many times I have scoured a map for some hidden...thing. Something tucked away - perhaps an initial or two? Ponder the meaning of "why did they put that here?" and so on.
    jackjack
  • jackjackjackjack Member Posts: 3,251
    The only "solution" I have found for my restartitis is to run multiple concurrent playthroughs, which is a little like saying "I'm tired of trying to figure out which watch I like best, I think I'll buy them all and wear a different one every day!" Only you know, possible, because thankfully new characters are free.
    Yes, I have a watch problem too.
  • WebShamanWebShaman Member Posts: 490
    Hmmm...are you watching all those playthroughs at once?! O_o

I think I would have a watch problem as well...
    jackjack
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    I don't read things, I go to try the, out myself, I do that creating level 40 characters and giving the, the best stuff in the game, so I can see if they are worth playing with, most of the times I end up going for a multi-class with Thief or either Mage in it, right now I am going with my first PC to be a pure Fighter, only because I wanted to role play it a lot, then I'll think I'd go for a sorcerer solo or a Fighter/Mage/Cleric solo.
  • kryptixkryptix Member Posts: 741
    At this point I just try to keep 1 playthrough in BG1 and one in BG2. for CHARNAMES I pick something sufficiently powergamed, sometimes with additional abilities to match some archetype that I want to play from literature etc, and I'll give myself abilities with near infinity and ee keeper to match.

I do have a problem with finishing games though because as I get to the end I get too lazy to buff for fights and try to win without them then I get frustrated when I wipe 10 times because Draconis and Abazigal etc. are nuts with SCS on insane difficulty and just one shot my guys. Sendai took me like 5 tries this time too and thats a long fight... The second to last try I won (while using 2-3 charges of rod of ressurection) but found out the fight was bugged with SCS and could only be beaten by using mind flayer form... My only mage with shapeshift memorized no longer had a timestop left and ended up getting chunked trying to melee her and I had to start over again. Ended up somewhat cheesing it with spike traps and pre summoned elemental princes and hexxat set up to immediately backstab the second mage statue :)
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @kryptix So why do you play SCS on insane if it's not fun
  • kryptixkryptix Member Posts: 741

@kryptix So why do you play SCS on insane if it's not fun

Mostly because I want the game to actually be a challenge, the vanilla game I tend to be able to just go around with a fighter bashing everything's face in without worrying about dying... Then again I just remembered why I don't like playing BG1 on insane today :) At level 1, with double damage basically everything can one shot you...
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Doesn't make sense to me. I don't play SCS on insane for the very same reason you do, but don't. lol