Skip to content

Having trouble installing SCS with BG2:EE

colonel_burgercolonel_burger Member Posts: 279
edited December 2013 in BGII:EE Mods
Hi Guys,

Just popping this here incase any weidu gurus can help - i've created a request for assistance on the G3 forums for the above problem.

URL is http://forums.gibberlings3.net/index.php?showtopic=25993

Thanks to anyone for any assistance.

-CB

Comments

• TheMadVikingTheMadViking Member Posts: 35
    edited December 2013
    @ colonel_burger

Which platform are you using? PC or mac.

If it is a mac there is a thread about this and other problems. http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/17717/tool-easy-mod-installer-for-os-x/p3

I also had some problems with the SCS on a mac. There is a backwards compatility problem with SCS. The good news is that it can be fixed by using a modified weidu. I got a lot of useful help to solve my problem. I would definately recommend trying asking for help there.

If it is on PC. Well, I don't own the BG:EE2 on PC, but I don't think the install procedure have changed since the before the enhanced editions. Installing mods is a breeze, because of all those wonderful install wizards. Just remember to copy your mod and installer into the content/resources folder where the override, portraits etc. is.

I hope it can help.

• colonel_burgercolonel_burger Member Posts: 279
    I'm running a PC, and the client is via Steam. I think it may be an incompatibility issue with the steam version - when SCS installs, it runs a second weidu bat file, and that seems to stuff up when installing after you select which components to install.

I've run the installers from the BG2:EE folder where chitin.key is located.

Thanks anyway for your help.

Has anybody out there successfully installed SCS onto BG2:EE (steam version)?
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    Methinks it should be compatible, but I'll say summoning @DavidW is a wiser option since I only installed it in my vanilla BG2.
    @DavidW i'll be very grateful for any help you can provide.
  • DavidWDavidW Member Posts: 823
    I'm afraid I don't know anything about Steam. I suggest that if the automatic install doesn't work for whatever reason, you try
    (I) making sure there is a copy of setup-stratagems.exe in your BG2 folder (copy weidu.exe to have that name if necessary)
    (ii) clicking on it.

That'll give you the usual install, which can be a bit tedious on SCS given how long some components take to install but will work.
    Hi @davidW, thanks for taking the time to respond! BTW just throwing out there that i'm a huge fan of your mods, i've been using them on the pre-EE versions for years.

In this instance, I do have setup-stratagems, it's creating it correctly in the BG2EE folder (the folder with chitin.key), along with creating the stratagems and stratagems_external folders as well.

I'm having trouble once the installer actually runs - when it tries to install the Initialise component (after you select which components you want to install), which I think is core to the whole mod, it stuffs up. I get a few different errors, have you seen these before?

ERROR Installing [Initialise mod (all other components require this)], rolling back to previous state

ERROR: Cannot perform auto-update, going ahead anyway! Sys_error("setup-stratagems: No such file or directory")

ERROR: Sys_error("strategems_external/workspace/temp_file2: Invalid argument")

ERROR: Failure("unknown function: clone item")

I can email you the debug file if you PM me a suitable address - I cannot attach text files to this forum.
  • DavidWDavidW Member Posts: 823
    You say "once the installer actually runs". Have you tried just running setup-stratagems rather than using the bat file? (It's not clear from your post.)
    edited January 2014
    I get install errors via both the bat file, and the exe (setup-stratagems.exe in the root BG2 folder).

The error from running the exe:

ERROR Installing [Initialise mod (all other components require this>], rolling back to previous state

ERROR: Sys_error("stratagems_external/workspace/temp_file2: Invalid argument"_
    Detailed error information can be found in the file SETUP-STRATAGEMS.DEBUG

This is on clean installs, as well as installs with mods. Any tips?
    Post edited by colonel_burger on
    @DavidW problem resolved!

It looks like the installer has trouble installing onto steam folders that are not on your main HDD.

All of my steam games are downloaded into a folder on my F: drive (F:\Games\Steam\SteamApps\common\). I completely removed my BG2:EE install, and forced steam to install to C:\Games, and downloaded a fresh install. I then ran SCS v28, and it installed successfully without the folder errors i've been getting.

To replicate and prove this wasn't a coincidence, I forced steam to install onto my E: drive, and I got the same errors. It looks like I can't install SCS's initialise component to anything other than my C: drive.

I imagine my setup is pretty rare, but in the interest of preventing future frustration to others would it be possible for you to put a note (possibly under Known Issues if you're comfortable declaring it that) saying "You may experience difficulty installing to the steam version when your BG2:EE directory is not on your main drive (C:). If you encounter errors relating to "cannot find folders" when installing to the steam version, ensure you steam game file folders are set to install on C:."

I'll attempt to duplicate the issue on a mate's PC, he has a similiar setup to mine so I should be able to do so. You might get more queries along these lines - BG2:EE was recently on special during the christmas period on steam, and it had high sales.

Thanks heaps for taking the time to reply to me, again, I really love your mods. Keep up the great work. SCS makes the game a hundred times better.

And now - off to kick in Improved Irenicus's head!

#onehappycamper!
  • thexsathexsa Member Posts: 9
    Your solution makes no sense whatsoever to me. I have never, ever, installed anything besides Windows and minor applications(MPC, Skype, etc.) to the main C: disk and have always had games on secondary HDD's, aswell as save folders and Windows user settings, and I do not have that problem with BG2EE on Steam with SCS. Are you sure you just do not have a faulty permission structure set up, that requires you to run as admin on the extra hdd, but not on the system disk?
  • Badfish_07Badfish_07 Member Posts: 14
    edited January 2014
    I'm having trouble as well. Installing on windows 7, BGEE, into C/beamdog/games/00766 with the ini file in there. It installs most of the SCS mods but at the very end it says that some of them are not installed due to error. Namely - general AI, better calls for help, improved spiders, and just about all of the improved encouters / bosses ect.. but before all that it said it was successful in installing the initialize ai components.. i'm stumped. I've tried installing both in C and program filesx86, both give errors...

ERROR: Unix.Unix_error(20, "stat", "stratagems_external/workspace/ssl_out/antimagicscript.baf")
    is one example of an error.

Any help.