Skip to content

Playing it again, for the first time!?!?

I had been toying around with the idea of getting BG:EE for a while now since I really enjoyed the original; or at least, the parts of it that I got to experience. I've been a long time RPG player, starting back "in the day" with my Commodore 64. However, I didn't get onto the Baldur's Gate bandwagon until late 2004 when I picked up a re-released copy of it. I didn't spend much time paying it (I think chapter 3 or 4, never touched BG2) due to all the flash and hype around a "little" MMO known as World of Warcraft being released in November of that year.

Anyway, after a lot of bouncing around I've decided to go back and replay the Baldur's Gate Series from start to finish, through all the squeals and expansions that are available for the EE version. I've been trying to keep myself completely in the dark about everything so that the game will be exciting. I've avoided reading the walkthroughs and detailed guides in order to truly enjoy the experience for the first time. I do know most of the lore related backstory, however, so that had some influence in picking my character. I know that Imoen eventually becomes a Thief/Mage in BG2 as part of her shared linage, so I have also gone down that route and rolled a multi-class Fighter/Cleric.

I decided to roll a Half-Orc as some kind of outcast/ostracized abomination that isn't really accepted by either societies. I'm not going to play him as truly good or truly evil, but more middle of the road. Having a rough childhood he'll be looking out for himself at all times, regardless of what path that leads.

I consider myself "lucky" as the first roll the character creation system gave me right out of the gates was a 91 so I was able to Max out Strength (19), Dexterity (18), Constitution (19) and still having enough points to have a decent Wisdom (17) while having to sacrifice intelligence and charisma, which is ok since I figured this character wouldn't have done well in school due to his mixed breed, and would be very stand-off-ish. I'll deal with any negative repercussions as part of his character!

I have decided to play this as a semi-hard mode run through. This means I have personally relaxed the rules a bit about resurrecting characters (limited to once per character) but still going with no reloads. I'm not going to put together a list of the perfect party, or try to min/max my player's stats. Just going to "roll" with it and see how things turn out as I slog through the game(s).

Anyway, I had better get back work! The sooner I am done the sooner I can get home to start playing!

Comments