Skip to content

Movies With Talking Worgs?

VarwulfVarwulf Member Posts: 564
Alright, so I haven't seen the second Hobbit movie yet and I know in the books at least, there were Worgs that talked at least similarly to how they do in D&D. With that being said, are there any movies out there that you know of that have an 'accurate' depiction of Worgs, and especially Worgs that talk? In fact, anything Dungeons & Dragons inspired would catch my attention. I remember watching Mazes and Monsters way back when (and laughing most of the way through it), but sadly, apart from Lord of the Rings, I haven't really seen anything else that could be considered "Tolkien"-ish, if that makes sense.

I'm up for almost anything, I've been in a very sluggish mood lately and more or less sit down with a drink and a movie after work each and every day being about as useless as a human being can possibly be, so I'm sort of looking around for something interesting to me to see if I can find anything inspirational or motivational in the slightest.

Hit me with your best shot :) Thanks.

Comments

• CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    I think that they can talk according to Tolkien's books. I might be wrong as I've read thousands of fantasy books (only around 20, but it confesses you anyway).
  • VarwulfVarwulf Member Posts: 564
    Yeah, that is what I heard too. Which is why I am very curious if that ability has ever been expressed on the silver screen when involving Worg or Worg like creatures :) Neverending Story 1 doesn't count, seen that already :P
    @Varwulf ooooh! I did not understand! Well, I hope they get to talk, it was really funny to read that in the book, and I think this won't be implemented (you know how book-based movies are made theses days, grab a book, take half of it pages out (and most of that are dialogues >.<), add a babe and a hero, a truly evil Orc and you'll make money, but the fans form the book will despise it).
    @CrevsDaak You pretty much hit the nail on the head :P I am not expecting The Hobbit to deliver. Hopefully someone can think of a movie they saw in the past that had this element in it, or anything D&Dish would suffice :)

Believe me though, I have seen my fair share of books ruined by movies xD I feel your pain :P
    @Varwulf I saw the first Hobbit movie and it was just OK, they've added some things that made some :O and WTF?! faces on me, in the book they are all normal folk, while in the movie... it is like OUR GREAT HERO, BOMBUR!! (joking here), it was too exaggerated I think (not as much as Eragon, I saw the first 20 minutes and said, better to watch a TV series :/, in the books he is a total noob while in the movie he's already using HLAs before meeting Brom).
    I think I didn't saw a movie with talking wolves/Worgs, I can't recall if the first part (I did not saw the second part either) of the Hobbit had Worgs (it had Worgs, but I don't know if they talked).
    The thing is that I saw very little fantasy movies, I like reading better.
    @CrevsDaak I recently saw the first as well. I thought it was okay too :) There were certain aspects that felt rather well delivered and other things that just felt 'meh' at best. Difficult to put my finger on entirely. Cannot say I can disagree at all with your description of the characters, lol, especially Eragon. The way you described him put a huge smile on my face. Accurate :P I tend to enjoy reading myself, but it tends to take more effort and dedication than I have been capable of lately. It's depressing, lol
    @Varwulf LOL, I feel the same (well, the books I am reading pull you down, so it is normal for me to get depressed in these days), I am reading sci fi tales by Isaac Asimov, Faust (by Goethe) and the Dreaming Glasses/Crystals by Theodore Sturgeon, I have some comedy books I have to read but I am too lazy). Eragon was one of the characters that are very funny to represent in AD&D, still, the most accurate one is Kvothe (from the Name of the Wind and the Wise's Man Fears) as a Bard (well, he IS a bard), but Eragon fits a F/M very well (or a Bladesinger, that fits much more). I exaggerate a lot when talking of characters and sometimes I forgot somethings, I never cared much about Eragon using bows nor Kvothe fighting unarmed, I mean, I don't catch everything from them but if not a little.
    In the Hobbit movie one thing I liked much were the fighting stone giants, I always thought those won't get to the movie, when they walked over them was exaggerated, but it was funny, in the book it describes like they see the giants from far away from the Goblin's main entrance (oh, that joke from the books is great, every time I read it I laugh again, that joke never gets old).
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    I don't know about the Tolkein movies or books, but I know that in my first D&D experience, with high school friends, our dungeon master "Mike" used to play all wargs as speaking beasts.

They had one to three word vocabularies, such as "raaargh, KILL", or "Grrrrr, BITE LITTLE MAGELING", but, the way he acted them, they were all the more terrifying for those discernible words through the growling, snarling, and biting.

I usually imagine all the BG canine killers as semi-intelligent, terrifying wargs, so that I don't have to feel guilty about killing them, especially since I know that natural wolves are very human-sympathetic animals, and were only villainized in human lore because of their competition for captive human food animals (sheep, pigs, and cows.)
    @CrevsDaak I certainly hope one day I can find the time to sit down and give the books a proper go myself, I am sure I would not regret it in the long run :)

@BelgarathMTH More or less how I view most canines as well. Fantasy speaking, Worgs/Wargs and Winter Wolves intrigue me to no end. I do think it is their ability to actually speak, as well as in the Winter Wolves' case, their interest in actually wearing apparel and the like that makes them so interesting to me.

Your friend's Wargs sound perfectly up my alley :)
    @Varwulf I've read the Hobbit around 3 times, and it is worth reading again :)
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    Yeah, in the book the Wargs are sentient beings (like the Eagles) with their own society. They actually represent one of the forces in the Battle of the Five Armies (Goblins & Wargs vs Elves, Dwarves & Men).

The problem is that the movies are pitched to a mainstream audience, and talking doggies would likely be an instant turn-off for most viewers. The trade-off for that is the budget available is much greater for a mainstream movie than for a more niche market...
    The reality is that if you want talking Wargs, you would have to accept Smaug being a dude in a costume or some stop-motion abomination...
    @abacus Thus-wise, the original post was asking about movies out there, dated or otherwise, that do represent wargs in such a manner :)
    Not to my immediate recollection... I think the closest you'll get is werewolves... The Underworld series, Little Red Riding Hood and similar.

(Or Homeward Bound :D )
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Chronicles of Narnia had talking wolves, or even winter wolves. Then again, l was kinda busy watching the lovely behinds of a dozen centaur lasses to remember anything else of note from that movie trilogy. So.. yeah.

Chronicles of Narnia had talking wolves, or even winter wolves. Then again, l was kinda busy watching the lovely behinds of a dozen centaur lasses to remember anything else of note from that movie trilogy. So.. yeah.

Now *that* is niche! ;)

@abacus Saw HWB when I was a kid, not really my cup of tea anymore :P

@Kamigoroshi I did see Narnia, but I might need to see it again, wasn't aware there were Winter Wolves in that one.
    Isn't the enemy in Neverending Story wargish? I seem to remember being terrified in my youth by a malevolent talking wolf-bear-thing...
  • meaglothmeagloth Member Posts: 3,806
    @crevsdaak, I think only certain wolves could talk in Tolkien. It's been a while since I last looked over the Silmarilion, but i remember that the morgoth's chief worg that bit off berets hand could speak, and that that was special. There was also the one elven kings hunting dog that could speak three times in his life, some power granted to him. I need to read more, play bg a little less. With the ee's out, I haven't read hardly a novel at all with school starting and becoming active on the forums. So much words, so little time.
    @varwulf, sorry, I don't have any movies. I can hardly remember the movies I wanted to see in theaters two months ago, and I'm not been around long enough to remember anything old. Wait... On second thought, Did frozen have winter wolves? :P
    @abacus I made a nod to him in the original post :P

@meagloth Blast, another reason to watch Frozen lol, I shall ask my friend who had seen it before stooping to see it myself lol!
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    Animated: Mowgli's Brothers, Wolf's Rain, Princess Mononoke… and I can't think of any other movies with talking wolves, unless you count the were-variety.
    Awesome suggestions :) I should have specified too that I was looking for more of the live action/realistic CGI brand of movie, but that doesn't mean I won't look into your considerations (already saw Wolf's Rain forever ago, however).