Skip to content

New to BG

Way back i brought Baldur's Gate with Swords of the coast included but never played it, anyway i decided to try BG: EE which i do like the look of, i do have Windows 7 with Guild Wars and Dungeon Siege installed but i really wanted to try out BG:EE as i needed a game to get the old brain working. I really do like the game but can anyone here point me to any good online manuals so i can get into this game, as Dungeon Siege as you may know is more of a hack and slash game and guild was is nice but i really want to get into BG:EE, DD has always interested me. Pleas help i'm a novice at BG.

Comments

• HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    Firstly, welcome to the Baldur's Gate and this forum. :)

I hesitate to refer you to any online walkthroughs precisely because this is your first playthrough, and the only chance that you'll get to play it blind, which is by far the best way to play the game.

However, BG EE is not a simple game, and also not the most beginner-friendly unless you are already familiar with D&D and played Infinity Engine games like IWD and PST. So... I have a recommendation if u decide to play it blind, which I do recommend.

Ask LOTS of questions about whatever you are stuck about on the "New Players (NO SPOILERS)" section of the forum. This is a really friendly and helpful community, and they guided me through the entire full saga playthrough that I finished just earlier this month. Don't be shy, no question is too basic. :)

If however, you don't feel playing blind is important and/or you can't be bothered checking a forum so often, then I will refer you to the unholy link that is easily the best guide for Baldur's Gate, minus the Enhanced Edition content.

http://www.forgottenwars.com/bg1/ (SPOILERS!)

Also a useful website that explains character creation and development very well.

http://playithardcore.com/pihwiki/index.php?title=Baldur's_Gate (no spoilers here and I'd recommend u to check this out even if u play blind.)

Finally I am making a beginners guide as as speak, but I am not sure a) when I'll finish it and b) if it will be any good. :) I'll link it to you if/when I am done.
  • TwoWayFinesseTwoWayFinesse Member Posts: 128
    Here are the manuals I got with the game. Some things to remember.

Low Armour Class is good (minus numbers even better)
    Low THACO is good. a measure of how easily you hit monsters. Try to only use weapons you are proficient in (fighters should put 2 stars in a weapon and use those, they get extra attacks)
    Easiest class to pick first is a fighter type as they generally die less easily
    You may well die (a lot) after exiting candlekeep - you are not alone so don't be embarrassed! (although never admit to dying inside candlekeep ;) )
    Pick up companions - you want at least one thief, mage, healer and fighter.
    Talk to anyone that has a name. Not every 'name' is a companion / quest giver though.
    The AI can be a bit stupid, there are different scripts but try to watch what your characters are doing.
    Don't overlook missile weapons, they are pretty deadly in BG1

Someone else would be better placed to go through magic, but sleep is a very useful early spell if you can find it.

And have fun with possibly the second best game ever made (after Baldurs Gate 2!)
  • nigel123nigel123 Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for your quick comments, i must say i don't really agree with walk throughs i have been playing today and what can i say i'm hooked this game is great. I'm not too sure if i am doing it right as i am more of a casual gamer you might say, i'm near the mines chapter 2 i believe, i need to look more into spells and weapons ect but i've been enjoying this game a lot as my wife always says the old games are the best, she likes pharoah by sierra games. I will be looking around this forum for more ideas, very pleasing to look and read again thank you.
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    Use wands.
    Use potions.
    SAVE OFTEN

Probably the three best pieces of advice.
    Wands and potions are want to be used... Don't hoard them for some uber-boss, there are so many available that you'll easily replace most.
    Saving often lets you try out different outcomes. I'd recommend using different save slots (at least one for each chapter), so if you do screw up you don't have to go back too far.
  • HeindrichHeindrich Member, Moderator Posts: 2,959
    edited February 2014
    Well... I promised that I'd link u a beginner's guide once I was done with it...

I'm not quite happy with it (it's longer than I'd like, and I missed out one or two things), so it's not listed, but just encase you're waiting on it...

I'd welcome constructive criticisms from anyone who might be interested, but there is a limit to my technical abilities :)

Edit: Updated Version.
    Post edited by Heindrich on
  • iAmGoatBoyiAmGoatBoy Member Posts: 72
    edited February 2014
    All good advice so far, couple of things I'd add: one, like with most RPGs, it's generally advisable to do as many side-quests as possible before progressing with the main storyline missions - I won't spoil exactly which those are, but it's fairly easy to tell by using your journal and generally paying attention. Two, if you're looking for a relatively easy playthrough, on your first attempt, Good character alignments are generally easier to play than evil ones. Other than that, have fun on what is hopefully the first of many journeys through this great game :)